News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wyatt Halliday

Re: Your Favorite Flag and Pole Combo
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 01:24:56 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the black and white pole with the red flag (continued throughout), and i'm not certain that I know why.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 09:15:09 AM »

And

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 09:57:25 AM »
The first course I played had all red flags with a simple white number on each.   The poles were alternating barber striped black and white.

In all my years playing that game, I've never seen anything that improved on that simple and understated look.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 12:01:13 PM »
Brian,

I love those pictures you posted. Very cool flags and poles.

Keep em coming.

Ed Oden

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 07:18:16 PM »
I like the wood poles and flags like LACC or Friars Head are appealing to me.

David, I am in line with your preferences.  Here is a picture of one of Friars Head's flag:

Its been a long time since I played LACC.  Do they use similar flags?

Ed

Cory Brown

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 12:54:37 AM »
Another variation of the wooden flagstick with a triangle pennant style flag.

Duane Sharpe

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 01:42:15 AM »
We used the wooden flagsticks from cheeseborough for one year and they did not last. They either warped due to sunlight or moisture or dried up and the accessories all fell apart.
They were a focal point and something to talk about for a year but we never did use them again.
Typical comments were " hard to see" and "not very forgiving if you hit them".
We now have 8' solid white flagsticks with white flags.  I like them but would like to see what the membership thinks of solid yellow stick.
Sharpee

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 02:01:49 AM »
I really think this depends upon the club, setting, course style, and region.  It seems more appropriate for a striped pole and number flags on some traditional golden age designs while a wooden Cheesebrough pin may be more appropriate for a rural woodland course.  I would say the best are those that respond to the character of the course and its community, however broad that may be.

Personally, I prefer the thin pole, if for no other reason than that it makes me feel stronger (think Seinfeld's hotel soap observation).  I like the black and white striping, especially when horizon greens are present.  Flags are usually best when one color and numbered, but once again it is all about the local flavor.  Originality is also applauded, such as Crystal Downs's half stripes, Merion's Baskets, Belvedere's four square, or any unusual shape or pattern or anything that adds a genuine character to a place.

John K,

Crystal Downs uses Red, Yellow, and Blue positional flags.  That's a highly rated course.  See Brian's photo of #9.

Jim K,

I played a course that had American flags for the Fourth weekend, and they had little stands at the sides of each green, "so that our NATION'S flag need not touch the ground.  A really cool gesture, though there were a lot of hole locations really tight to the edge of the green that day for some reason  :)
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Jordan Wall

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 02:58:04 AM »
Cory,

Is that #10 at Overlake?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jordan

Matthew Rose

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 07:28:11 AM »

I like flags with hole numbers. 20 years ago when I was a kid and was learning how to play, I used to see them a lot. I almost never see them these days, with the proliferation of club logos being used instead.

The public course I grew up playing had yellow poles and yellow flags with the hole numbers sewn on in black. A very simple look but one I grew to like.

This course also used to have flagsticks with yellow and black checkerboard flags in the middle of the fairway at the turnpoint on holes which had sharp doglegs. After I'd played there for a couple of years, they were taken out. No course I've ever seen before or since had such a thing.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Cory Brown

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »
Jordan,

Good eye.  That is the tenth at Overlake.  Unfortunately this picure was taken in the winter in the middle of our cart path construction project and you can see the tie in work still being done.  I should add a newer picture.  The course is playing very firm and fast, it's a lot of fun.

Go Cougs.

David_Elvins

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 09:51:28 PM »
IMO, there is little room for moving when it comes to good flagsticks. 

Flags should be white or red.

Poles should be white or black and white striped. 

Logos on white flags are ok.  Numbers are ok.

Anything that doesn't conform with the following three photos is crap*

*Merion excepted.

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Niall Hay

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »

Does anyone have a visual for a Friar's Head flag/stick combo?

Niall Hay

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2013, 09:57:57 AM »

David, I am in line with your preferences.  Here is a picture of one of Friars Head's flag:

Its been a long time since I played LACC.  Do they use similar flags?

Ed

Does Friar's Head use 2 separate flags? Is there a close up?

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2013, 10:34:53 AM »
IMO, there is little room for moving when it comes to good flagsticks. 

Flags should be white or red.

Poles should be white or black and white striped. 

Logos on white flags are ok.  Numbers are ok.

Anything that doesn't conform with the following three photos is crap*

*Merion excepted.

Which courses are these?

Folks, please include names of the course...inquiring minds want to know.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back