News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Working Man's Golf Courses
« on: July 21, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »
We're often criticized here for only talking about the most exclusive, elite, expensive clubs in the world in these pages.  Here's your chance to post your thoughts, memories and photos of golf that the average Joe can enjoy and afford.  I'll start things off with a picture from yesterday: Bill Langford golf on a great piece of property that has a weekend all-day walking rate of $18.  And yes I want to get back there for that Fish Fry!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:55:09 AM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: Working Man's Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
Read Ran, Sean and others on Reddish Vale.....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 02:45:35 PM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56212.0.html

Whenever I've looked at Golfnow, they have 18 at Salem Golf Club for $10 at noon.
We paid $24.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:31:22 AM by GJ Bailey »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 03:07:56 PM »
In terms of "Working man's Golf Courses" as that might apply to the UK, I suppose that would be your average members club in the UK which would take in the vast majority of courses in the UK. There are very few courses over here that you can't play for a reasonable visitors fee, even the likes of Muirfield. Of course it depends what you term reasonable and what you're willing to pay but I'd suggest most working folk who are financially solvent and are keen enough would happily pay the £100 plus to play some of these top championship courses let alone the host of very affordable courses that also get featured on here.

I was going through some receipts from last season I noted that my green fees for the following; Forfar - £12, Huntly - £15, Fraserburgh - £12, Inverallochy - £10 and bargain basement Kingussie at £7.50 ! I also had a couple of rounds at Boat of Garten for £15 each. Now let me say that some of those rounds were "off season" as it were but the courses were still in good enough nick, and also they aren't all championship level but they certainly are all good fun and some of them have been mentioned/featured on here in the past.

Niall

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »
Jud T:

As I have said on this site quite a few times, Cleveland, Ohio deserves mention for the great many courses you never hear about and golf architecture junkies would never mention, but are perfectly fine courses you can play for $25-30.
Tim Weiman

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 06:03:21 PM »
Soule Park in Ojai, California fits this description.  They have regular evening golf leagues that are the modern day equivalent of the old bowling leagues.  This course features some serious high quality architecture.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 06:21:56 PM »
Jud T -

As there appear to be multiple Spring Valley Country Clubs in the U.S., could you please advise where this one is located? Thanks.

DT

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 06:51:03 PM »
I was always fond of Dubsdred in Orlando, great old course, former tour stop, virtually everyone who play the tour from the 30s-50s played it at some point in time.

I loved playing the old Hershey Parkview golf course, until Hershey Co decided to turn it into a parking lot.  Freaking parking lot. History back to the 20s, hosted tour events, a couple of the coolest green complexes you will ever see, one of the great short, uphill par 3s, etc. all in a 6100 yard package and affordable green fees.

Growing up in Central Pennsylvania, there are a ton of pretty good golf courses out in the middle of the country. Unique designs, certainly not cookie cutter concepts, and respectable course conditions. Many of them hosted annual better ball events, the Pennsylvania version of the Texas beer and BBQ circuit.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 06:59:03 PM »
I love the public golf courses around Portland, OR.   Eastmoreland is the king, but Heron Lakes (2 courses), Rose City, etc are all fun and priced right.  

Of course, my local hometown (Buffalo, NY) has my beloved Sheridan Park.  Run by the Town of Tonawanda, it's quirky, fun, interesting, and inexpensive.  BTW - it hosted the '62 USGA Publinx with 6 holes that were later lost to development.   When I lived there (thru '82), they had industrial leagues - Dunlop, Chevy, etc.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 07:36:12 PM »
I nominate Eugene's Laurelwood Golf Club.

Once an 18 hole golf course owned by the University of Oregon, It's now a 9 hole facility right next to the Oregon campus, which, at $10 for 9 (and less if you want to play more) has to be one of the best deals around.

The place features a series of small greens that are pretty severe in pitch and maintained well. The bunkers are strategically placed and shallow, which makes it the best golf course I know of to teach someone the game (aside from TOC). Its routing is actually quite good, with a few holes using the slopes very well to dictate shotmaking and overall strategy.

Below is the bunkerless opening hole, a par 5 which, at 609 yards from the backs, has plenty of teeth for the better golfer. The green is benched into the hillside, with a dip about 60 yards in front of the green which helps dictate layups.

I would recommend anyone that goes through Eugene on their way to Bandon to check it out.

Connor
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 09:16:45 PM »
David,

It's in Salem, WI.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Josh Bills

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 11:15:16 PM »

8th hole par 3, 140 yards

Point Chautauqua Golf Club (9 holes), Dewittville, NY.  $10 for 9 holes all with a view of Lake Chautauqua.  Plays better late in the summer when the fairways are firm and fast (sometimes the greens too).  8th hole is straight down hill, followed by the 9th a par 3 straight back up the hill!  Not going to host anything but beer leagues, but perfect while on vacation. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 12:29:50 AM »
Soule Park is excellent. My friend Bob and I played it for $29 the day before KP began this year.
I'm pretty sure the Emperor put a tour of it up here just after the Hanse remodel.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 06:57:57 AM »
Josh Bills...welcome to the site (Gotcha, Pat Craig !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

HOW DO YOU KNOW ABOUT Chatauqua Point? I've not played, but my friend has a place there and loves the joint...cigars, beers and golf...followed by a big steak at that other place I've never been, on the other side of the lake.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 07:41:02 AM »
Copake Country Club:

Senior Writer, GolfPass

Josh Bills

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 08:50:50 AM »
HOW DO YOU KNOW ABOUT Chatauqua Point? I've not played, but my friend has a place there and loves the joint...cigars, beers and golf...followed by a big steak at that other place I've never been, on the other side of the lake.

Ron,

My wife's family has had a cottage there since the early 1900's and I have been going there since 1996.  I have played the Point course probably 80-100 times.  Usually to see who makes the drinks when we get home.  I have played the Hill and Lake course over at the Institute numerous times, but the cost would certainly exclude it from this thread.  I prefer the Lake course, and recently played there and they have been performing some tree removal there that is really improving the playing conditions on many of the original Ross holes and in particular numbers 7 and 8. 

Andrew Buck

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »
Hmm Senica's Oak Ridge in LaSalle, IL.  $21 to walk during the week ... annual pass about $750 (over 35), $500 (under 35).  Very good quick greens and great fairways, although the traps are a little rough. 

Dwight Country Club, Dwight, IL.  $17 to walk during the week, and almost always a good game. 

Mike Schott

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 10:51:58 AM »
The Detroit area is full of this sort of course. While not exactly the Detroit Metro Area, I nominate Leslie Park in Ann Arbor. Lawrence Packard design on rolling land. $25.00 to walk during the week and $30.00 on the weekend.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 11:33:42 AM »
Andrew,

That photo of Senica's Oak Ridge is very fetching.  LaSalle is probably closer to Chicago than Spring Valley, so I wonder if Jud, Sven and others would put it in their list of Chicagoland's best courses... ;D

Old inside joke.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jud_T

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 11:42:19 AM »
Terry,

The sad part is that it's my favorite public track in Chicago, and it's not even in the state (yes, it used to be the Rav until I realized that 7 of the last 11 holes are par 4's measuring 390-410)!  The fact that they don't water the sh*t out of the course every morning probably has something to do with it.  Seriously, if the place was restored to original intent and was in top private club condition, people here would have to run for a new pair of tighty whiteys any time they got an invite.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:46:15 AM by Jud T »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 12:03:20 PM »
I'm personally not a real big fan of Spring Valley, though I agree it's interesting for an architecture nut and a good local course with regulars who really enjoy it. I just don't think there's any amount of work that could be done to that tight property to make it measure up with Langford's best.

I'll go with the Gay Brewer Jr. course at Picadome in Lexington, KY. When I lived there, you could walk it for a buck a hole. It's a fun, charming, throwback layout with tiny greens that slope fiercely, and the rare course where any hole could be your favorite on any given day. I did a photo tour about a year ago: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53232.0.html.

I also really enjoy Waveland in Des Moines, IA.

"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

David Stamm

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »
Soule Park in Ojai, California fits this description.  They have regular evening golf leagues that are the modern day equivalent of the old bowling leagues.  This course features some serious high quality architecture.

Here, here, Robert. Love the place, and the setting. I think Lynn would agree.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Andrew Buck

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 04:42:08 PM »
Andrew,

That photo of Senica's Oak Ridge is very fetching.  LaSalle is probably closer to Chicago than Spring Valley, so I wonder if Jud, Sven and others would put it in their list of Chicagoland's best courses... ;D

Old inside joke.

Now I'm curious, because the only think I can think that would be "ranked" by anyone near Spring Valley is Ripp's chicken?

Senica's was in rough shape for a few years, and they got a young superintendent who has changed it completely around.  Greens the perfect 10.5 - 11 with undulations, about 6,900 yards and good bent fairways.  Reasonable challenge from the back and extremely fun/playable from the shorter tees.  I'm a member at the local club, Deer Park Country Club, and have a pass at Senica's and it provides good variety. 

Ari Techner

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 08:44:08 PM »
I nominate Eugene's Laurelwood Golf Club.

Once an 18 hole golf course owned by the University of Oregon, It's now a 9 hole facility right next to the Oregon campus, which, at $10 for 9 (and less if you want to play more) has to be one of the best deals around.

The place features a series of small greens that are pretty severe in pitch and maintained well. The bunkers are strategically placed and shallow, which makes it the best golf course I know of to teach someone the game (aside from TOC). Its routing is actually quite good, with a few holes using the slopes very well to dictate shotmaking and overall strategy.

Below is the bunkerless opening hole, a par 5 which, at 609 yards from the backs, has plenty of teeth for the better golfer. The green is benched into the hillside, with a dip about 60 yards in front of the green which helps dictate layups.

I would recommend anyone that goes through Eugene on their way to Bandon to check it out.

Connor

Connor

+1 on Laurelwood from me.  I actually dug the bunkers left and behind the green on #4 with a friend by hand with a shovel years ago when I lived in Eugene.  My wife had class super early at U of O so i got up with her super early and dug until we had to goto work.   That place has great terrain and some fantastic greens.  #8 is really a standout par 5 along with #1. 

I'd also nominate Elkhorn Valley in OR which was basically made by hand by one man over the course of 30+ years until he died after finishing #16.  It has some serious standout holes on very very natural terrain. 

Lastly Rackham just north of Detroit MI which is an old Donald Ross which is now being kept up very well.  It has some standout greens and the back 9 is really good and untouched for the most part.   I took this place for granted growing up in close proximity as it was not ever taken care of but with new management taking care of it it's a great course and really worth a play. 

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 08:16:50 AM »

Ron,

My wife's family has had a cottage there since the early 1900's and I have been going there since 1996.  I have played the Point course probably 80-100 times.  Usually to see who makes the drinks when we get home.  I have played the Hill and Lake course over at the Institute numerous times, but the cost would certainly exclude it from this thread.  I prefer the Lake course, and recently played there and they have been performing some tree removal there that is really improving the playing conditions on many of the original Ross holes and in particular numbers 7 and 8. 

Josh and Ron:   Never expected to see Chautauqua Point here.  Last played there in 1982, my senior year on the golf team.  C.P. is great fun.  We used to fear the OB on the first hole, nobody wanted to reload in front of the coaches.  Several of the holes run across the slope so it was always good fade and hook lie practice.  The trees have gotten big on #8. It was never a shutte back then. We played in the spring, and had some nasty winds off the lake. Remember rolling the ball down the hill into a strong wind, didn't want to risk getting it in the air.

Have you ever played Cassadaga Country Club?  That was my home course.  Fun nine holer. Bit of a slow start but the last 5 holes are really fun.  Good food, nice people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back