News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Fenway Golf Club: a dalliance (three holes parked)
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 10:28:47 PM »
Alex,

You're correct, Ron did miss the back tee on # 2, which changes the angle and the distance considerably

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »
Is the back tee on #2 back in the trees, at the end of the driving range? That's really hidden.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 06:46:12 PM »
Is the back tee on #2 back in the trees, at the end of the driving range? That's really hidden.

Ron,

It's also small and easy to miss.

It's a different hole from the back tee

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 12:53:48 AM »
I should say. There were no signs indicating it even existed. Who would ever look on a driving range for a tee? I love it. More photos to come on Saturday.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 10:17:14 AM »
Hole #4: 143-143-130-118 yards
A wondrous little par three, tucked into a corner of the property. I could imagine coming out here at dusk with a bunch of balls, a pail of sand, a divot fixer and my imagination. I'd love to hit shot after shot at different points of the green, then work on my sand game in all of the bunkers.

A glance askance from the walk up to the third green. Tilly was enamored of his par three holes over ditches and other deep, broken ground~site the tee here, site the green there, work some magic, move on.

Tee Ball with valley hiddenHopefully the two tiers, the bunkers, the fall offs all around don't intimidate visually.

Zoomed in to right front of green and its protective bunker. The recovery from that sand pit to a right front hole must be fun. Bet you can't see the top of the flag from there.

Zoomed in to left front of greenTwo more great bunkers that blend perfectly with the topography.

View from tee with valley includedI love a bit of water that shouldn't come in to play. Little brook must certainly be piped underground to its left. Tiny false front left is also appealing to the eye.

Left green side from cart pathFrom here, you get a sense that the false front fringe extends between the bunker mound and the green.

Left side of greenTree mates with rock.

From right rear of greenA child could do worse than learn the short game around this putting surface. All types of recovery shots from the sides and great putts of every break and verticality.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:28:50 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

corey miller

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »

Favorite Par 3 at Fenway.  Very good green but I do wonder about the "first cut" as in evidence in the pictures in front and on the right.  Clearly preferable to high rough but?  My partner had a put from (first picture) the spot where the caddies are to the back right where the players are and had no chance of rolling it through the area.

Do any Supers here have a solution?  I know I would be outside the typical  "country club norm" but I would prefer dead grass, dirt etc etc than the second cut/collar which clearly  was not part of the "classic Fenway".  It is not as if any of these areas are pinnable anyway.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Fenway Golf Club: a dalliance (four holes listed)
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2013, 09:52:08 AM »
Hole #5: 480-458-437-431 yards
When I transitioned from the 4th green to the 5th tee, the gentle beauty of the flower bed (see image 5-1) lulled me into a sense of what a beautiful little par 5 this fifth hole is...I then realized that it is a par four hole for all comers, a 4.5 at that, still beautiful, but no longer a proper run at birdie. The hole descends from the tee a bit, into a slightly-upsloped fairway landing area. The green sits a bit higher than the fairway, subtle ascents that add bits of distance to the hole. The landing space is ample and the green is open in the front. The hole bends a bit to the left, and is possessed of some sandy areas that punish wide efforts but don't encroach upon the straight lines toward the targets. Thanks to the suspicious eyes of the players you see in the photos, I didn't get a good look at the green undulations, but I think that the camera lens did a good enough job of revealing that this putting surface is as demanding as any at Fenway and that there is no quarter given for the length-to-par ratio.

Tee Ball (sort of) It's really a beauty shot, the type you put on a member-guest plaque as a thanks-for-coming remembrance.

Tee Ball zoomed in The fairway bunker you see up the right side is shared with the sand field of hole number 3. There are two fairway pits on the inside corner of the dogleg. These force you a bit up the right side, which is fine if you hit a straight or left-to-right approach. Too wide and the trees up the rough line come into play on the right.

Zooming in further we see the left-side fairway bunkers, the two green-framing bunkers and the beginnings of the swale that runs through the middle of the green.

This is a fairway-level shot that gives an idea of the deceptive ascents to landing area and then to green surface. It's not the actual landing area, which is farther up, next to the bunkers.

Right edge of fairway in drive zone. If par weighs on your mind, you eschew the lay-up and get into trouble with anything but a dart. If you're savvy, you recognize the potential of the wedge third from inside 80 yards, if regulation arrival is not in the cards.

Zoomed in toward the left front we see the possibility of the running approach and also the relative depth of the side bunker.

Back out, don't actually know why I included this one :~)

Left rough toward green probably about 110 yards distant. Nearly any hole location can be reached with a lay-up second, so ignorant heroism is not demanded here.

Zoomed in to left side of green we see the bunker and the raised back corner, behind the hole location.

Front right, probably needed less bunker and more green to tell a better tale. False front (not a dangerous one) then ripples of putting surface. Fun hole locations here, to be certain.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:53:56 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Fenway Golf Club: a dalliance (five holes pinned)
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2013, 11:24:56 AM »
Ron,

That's also a fairly steep sloped green

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 11:35:01 AM »
Wasn't this the home course of Dr. Childs for many years?  These pictures don't seem to reflect his vision.

Greg Stebbins

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 02:58:10 PM »
I have only played the course during the Mittelmark Invitational so I don't know what green speeds are like on a daily basis, but I have found the 4th and 5th greens to be very penal. 

The middle half of the 4th green is one giant slope that will bring the ball back to the front of the green, if not completely off the green.  The top shelf is very shallow and has a steep pitch from right to left.  The front is no bargain either as any shot with spin will pull off the green and down the fairway slope. 

As far as the 5th goes, the first 2/3rds of the green is one giant false front.  The ball has to carry the 2nd ridge to stay on the green which is no easy task as the hole is 480 yards and uphill all the way! This is one of the toughest par 4's you will every play. 

Fenway is a tremendous golf course but I doubt that most golfers can handle the greens at modern speeds. 

Mark McKeever

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »
That's a serious looking clubhouse too!  Any other pictures of it?

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 01:15:26 PM »
Hole #6: 234-2227-217-175 yards
The second par three in three holes is a hefty brute. Slightly uphill.

A glance from the fifth fairway. Nothing catches the eye like a green hidden behind two deceitful bunkers that obscure a landing zone ahead of the putting surface.

Tee ball zoomed out to the entire length of the hole. Hidden are the 35 yards beyond the right fairway bunker and the right greenside bunker behind it.

Tee ball zoomed in to a point where the foibles and idiosyncrasies begin to reveal themselves.

Left approach bunker is the first of three bunkers up that side. The smart play is to aim at and carry...

the right approach bunker with a left-turning flight. This hole, I suspect, can be played with an iron to the space shy of the green, a pitch on and a single putt for par.

Use google maps to search this hole and observe it from above. Does a better job than do these pictures in defining the hole.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

Re: Fenway Golf Club: a dalliance (seven holes attached)
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 10:20:28 PM »
Hole #7: 390-390-381-370 yards
Not much variety of distance here...seems like one 20-yard tee would about cover it. The first third of the course plays along a ledge along Mamaroneck Road. The 7th tee drops off the face of the earth, onto the lower portion of the course. The descent must be some 60 feet, more or less. The 7th is a dogleg left hole whose fairway is guarded by sand on both sides of the drive zone. I suspect that longer hitters must carry the inside bunker, but it is one big poke. Trees up the left side would block any approach to the green that misses fairway left, so the safe play is center-right.

Tee Ball Since the camera flattens things, it's tough to imagine the precipice at the end of the tee. Trust me, it's most vertical.

Descending the hill along the cart path. The stream/burn that crosses the fairway now comes into view. Since there is no fairway before the burn/stream, it is expected that everyone will carry it.

From the right-side, bunker complex the slightly-elevated green appears in the distance. The rounded, raised bunker lips forgive only those fortunate enough to find the back portions of the sand. Anything close to the lip demands a pitch out.

Same angle, closer in.

An interesting bunker contrast is found at this green. The bunker right appears to be dug down from green level, as seen here.

The left-side bunker drops off from the green side, making the green feel awkward and unbalanced, a marvelous way to protect a putting surface.

From behind.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mark McKeever

Re: Fenway Golf Club: a dalliance (seven holes posted)
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2013, 09:20:42 AM »
7 seems to be a mirror image of 1 at Bethpage Black right?  Looks great.

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2013, 11:58:18 AM »
Mark,
   I'd say 1 at the Black is different in these regards: the trees at the inside corner of the dogleg are more numerous and in play on the drive. The green site is also much flatter than the 7th at Fenway as that approach is distinctly uphill. Both are well thought out holes.
Patrick,
   I didn't find the burn to be a huge factor on the tee shot at the 7th at Fenway. I remember standing on the tee and being far more concerned with the bunkering, especially the inside corner bunker.

corey miller

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »

My recollection is that trees are in play on the inside corners of both #7,#10. 

I would hope trees could be eliminated on these three holes (including #1 Bethpage)...I would guess if the holes were so well though out we would not have such trees on the inside of these doglegs, especially at Bethpage where being in the rough is so punitive.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back