News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Garvelink

Forest Dunes Project
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »
Michiganders,

Rumor on the street is the new owner of Forest Dunes is looking to add another 18 holes at Forest Dunes.  Those who know the piece of land claim its a superior piece of land than the original.  A few people have heard rumblings that Forest Dunes has already contacted Tom Doak, Mike Devries, and CC.

If Forest Dunes can pull this off they will definitely be in elite company!

Are Tom or Mike willing to comment :)

Cheers!!!
"Pure Michigan"

George Freeman

Re: Forest Dunes Project
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »
Bob - this is the first I have heard of this.  Very interesting indeed!  Do you know who the current owners are?

It is a beautiful piece of property.  I'm not sure where their additional acreage is, but a lot of the surrounding terrain is very sandy and scrubby - which would make for good golf assuming there is some interest in the topography.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 10:06:08 PM »
George,

The new owner is "Big Lou" and he supposeable made his money in the trucking industry.  He recently added some on site lodging to FD and people close to the FD circle claim its a 50/50 chance they break ground next summer.  I was told IF they build a new course they want it to be totally different than the original.  They also don't want to have to use as much water on the new course so I'm sure the turf and greens will be different from what they currently have.

I've been told the GM and SUPER prefer Mike Devries due to his knowledge of Michigan topography.  "Big Lou" prefers a household name that will bring people in and buy lots so that may give Tom Doak the edge.

If its Doak.... Lets just hope he doesn't bury dead elephants under the greens :). Just kidding Tom :)
"Pure Michigan"

Greg Tallman

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:12:52 PM »
LOL - household name that will sell homes... you have officially arrived TD!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »
If its Doak.... Lets just hope he doesn't bury dead elephants under the greens :). Just kidding Tom :)

He carves them up before he buries them, hence the ridges and other contours. No Walter Travis greens from him.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Brent Carlson

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 12:18:09 AM »
Here's to hoping this happens.  I played Forest Dunes on Saturday and the course is spectacular - really special.  The land is perfect for golf.  Another top notch course and it would be unbelievable.   

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 09:42:47 AM »
Heres to hoping Mike Devries gets the nod. The golfing words needs some more Mike Devries. Not to mention, it's a home game for him, too.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

George Freeman

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »
Heres to hoping Mike Devries gets the nod. The golfing words needs some more Mike Devries. Not to mention, it's a home game for him, too.

Doak, C&C, DeVries:  You can't go wrong with that group!

Hopefully Mike's sojourn down under doesn't eliminate him from the running for this job - although it's a good problem for him to have. 

I really hope these reports are accurate.  It could turn an already special golf area into something really special.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Bill Seitz

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 10:43:42 AM »
I've been told the GM and SUPER prefer Mike Devries due to his knowledge of Michigan topography.  "Big Lou" prefers a household name that will bring people in and buy lots so that may give Tom Doak the edge.

Seeing as how Tom lives up there, I'd assume he has some knowledge of the topography as well.  But as others have said, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »
Why should this be a surprise?

The new owner just invested $1.5M in building a new lodge and has visions of being a travel destination. I can't see how Forest Dunes can make a run at it without building a second course.

"Our goal is to get out-of-state golfers," said Forest Dune's GM in this article from Crain's Detroit about the lodge's opening. 

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20130407/NEWS/304079988/forest-dunes-course-to-open-luxury-lodge#

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 07:52:32 PM »
I talked to the super about it a couple of years ago, the last time I played.  The land is the sandy pines area north of 10/16/17/18 area.  Land that looks awesome for a golf course.

I'm not sure a designer would sell lots.  Selling lots to people from Detroit will be tough as they are hard to figure out.  I played Belvedere a couple of years ago and got paired up with a member of Franklin Hills, he had never heard of Kingsley Club, had never played Crystal Downs but had just gotten back from a trip to Scotland where he had played Brora.

Its hard to say whether people will buy lots at Forest Dunes, then again, tons of people live at Garland and it is just as in the middle of nowhere as Forest Dunes and none of the courses are any good.

Nonetheless, a course from any of the 3 architects mentioned would immediately make Forest Dunes one of the top 36 hole facilities in the country.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:36:02 PM by JC Jones »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 09:00:48 PM »
Rumor has it that an architect was recently on site, although I'm not at liberty to say who.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 10:41:02 PM »
I was told that a certain architect was playing in the member guest tourney.... Sure hope that it all comes together.....Forest Dunes is a very special place and another 18 would make it magical!
"Pure Michigan"

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 10:44:51 AM »
Confirmed. Owner is close to making a decision. Not sure about architect.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Andrew Cunningham

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 08:18:10 AM »
Forest Dunes is underrated and a must play for anyone visiting Michigan.  Adding another "special" 18 would make this the destination resort it needs to be.

George Freeman

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 12:26:29 PM »
I talked to the super about it a couple of years ago, the last time I played.  The land is the sandy pines area north of 10/16/17/18 area.  Land that looks awesome for a golf course.  

The picture below should show the area JC is talking about for the potential new course.  The 10th hole is the one with the split fairway just east of the driving range.  

Lots of trees currently.  However, you can tell from the land just south (where a lot of the current course's back nine plays) that there is a lot of sand under those trees!

Mayhugh is my hero!!

Dan_Lucas

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »
Good Afternoon,

My name is Jim Bluck and I am the current super at Forest Dunes.  Dan granted me permission to use his account after I had mentioned that posts have been made that have included "my opinions".

I am taking this opportunity to clear up some of the speculation, but also add some validity to some of the comments.

The possibility of a second course at FD is just that; a possibility.  The owner is looking at a number of ideas that he thinks would benefit this property...and a second course is just one idea.

His name is spelled Lew and yes he is big.... 

The statement that I or the GM have a preference as far an an architect is inaccurate.  Though Mike is a friend of mine and I would thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to work with him, all of us want a course, regardless of the designer that would appeal to the masses, versus being one influenced by one or all three of our personal preferences.  Lets face it, I am fairly confident that the people who play FD don't play here because of Tom Weiskopf, they visit because it's a pleasure to play.  So if its TD, MD, C/C or myself, who ever is able to produce a product that is cost friendly to maintain and appreciated by all who play it, will get the nod.

The total acreage of the property is 1320 acres and the current course sits on roughly 500.  Over the past few years, (prior to Lew's ownership), much of the acreage has been logged off due to the fire danger with a predominate stand of Jack Pine but also for the health of the forest so the satellite photo is inaccurate.  Sand is prevalent on this property and the exact location for this "course" has not been discussed.

In the past 6 months, we have had 2 architects out for some discussion and a site visit..without a commitment to either one.

The comments about less water is true...IF Lew decides to pull the trigger on this project, having the opportunity for our members and guests to play a totally different style of golf (firm and fast) on one property we believe is rare and would separate us from the typical resort golf stereotype.  A course where the color of the turf is not part of the overall experience is something that I have literally pushed for since the day I arrived on this property.  Professionally and selfishly, I sure hope the numbers work out.  Who knows, maybe then I would be allowed to be a member of GCA... ;D

Thank you for your time and interest in FD

Jim

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 10:20:09 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for the update and kudos to you and your staff.  Forest Dunes is always in amazing shape and its truly one of the hidden gems of the world.  We can only hope that Lew decides to go forward on the project as it would totally change the atmosphere at FD.  Keep up the good work and keep us posted :)
"Pure Michigan"

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 04:35:36 PM »
Any updates on this project? I'm curious if anyone can comment on the amount of play Forest received in 2013 versus previous years. The tee sheet was full last weekend.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Chris DeToro

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »
I'd love to see the stats--I was there the first week of May and it was pretty busy too.  As was the new lodge which was a fantastic addition.  A second course at FD would make visiting a lot easier to justify being somewhat local and certainly for the guys I know who make the trip up every year from Ohio...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
On my only Michigan sojourn in 2007, we had to cancel our Forest Dunes round because some d-a had to get home a day early. Bummer.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 10:15:44 PM »
Gents,

I have been told by a member that the rumor around Forest Dunes is that a second course will be built and that Doak will be the man for the job.  If this is indeed true then FOrest Dunes will be in elite company.  There is a members only meeting on Oct. 18 so we should hear more about this soon.  I just hope it's true!
"Pure Michigan"

Howard Riefs

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 04:29:36 PM »
There is a members only meeting on Oct. 18 so we should hear more about this soon.  I just hope it's true!

Any update?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 10:19:43 AM »
I played Forest Dunes a few years back and it was amazing. In fact, I should have played the other courses first (Red Hawk, Gailes, and Blackshire) because none compared to FD. Maybe some of the BEST conditions and attention to detail of any course I have ever played. I don't know if building another golf course there will "help" sell lots or not. There did not appear to be a ton of houses there (I saw a lot of empty lots though) from what I can remember, unless they are tucked away from the course a bit.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:03:35 AM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Dan_Lucas

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 08:53:56 PM »
Good evening,

Jim Bluck here once again with Dan's permission......some day I will be worthy.

Last Friday evening  management of Forest Dunes announced to the membership that Tom Doak and Renaissance Golf have been chosen to design an 18 hole golf course.  Construction is scheduled to start once the necessary permits are obtained and the contract with Tom is finalized.  The routing and design have been created and we are all very excited for the finished product.  Grassing is up in the air as I am still working to convince the owner that playability and sustainability should outweigh the color green.

The main focus, though pertinent, is not about selling real estate but is more about creating a destination facility.  Additional lodging is being considered in conjunction with the golf course which will offer up an attractive investment opportunity.....hint hint hint

Once again, thank you for your interest in Forest Dunes.

Jim

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back