GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The oldest 15 golf courses outside the United Kingdom

(1/5) > >>

Jim McCann:
Ron Fream sent me an email recently regarding some research he had conducted on "the oldest golf courses outside the United Kingdom".

With his permission, I have reproduced below a list of what he considers to be the oldest fifteen.

Ron accepts that this may not be a definitive list and would be delighted to have it corrected if need be via the gca site.

1   Royal Calcutta Golf Club, Kolkata, India in 1829.    Attained its Royal designation in 1911 from King George.

2   Pau Golf Club, Billere, Aquitaine, France in 1856.

3   Manchester Club, Mandeville, Manchester, Jamaica in 1865. The oldest course in the western hemisphere.

4   Otago Golf Club - originally Dunedin Golf Course - Balmacewen course, Dunedin, South Island, New Zealand in 1871.
                  The first course in the southern hemisphere.

5   Jakarta Golf Club, (Batavia Golf Club), Rawamangun - Jakarta, Indonesia in 1872.

6   Christchurch Golf Club, (Shirly Links), Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand in April 1873.

7   The Royal Montreal Golf Club, LleBizard, Quebec, Canada in November 1873.  
   The oldest course in North America, achieving its Royal designation from Queen Victoria eleven years after formation.

8   Le Club de Golf Royal Quebec, Boischatel, Quebec, Canada in 1874. Its Royal designation came in 1934.

9   Jorhat Gymkhana Club, Jorhat, Assam, India in early 1876.

10   Bangalore Golf Club, Bangalore, India in late 1876.

11   Toronto Golf Club, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada in 1876.

12   Madras Gymkhana Club, (Guindy Golf location), Chennai, India. Golf play started in 1877, club founded 1884.

13   Shillong Golf Club, Shillong, Maghalaya, India in 1878.

14   Royal Colombo Golf Club, Colombo, Sri Lanka in 1879. The Royal designation came from King George V, 1928.

15   Royal Perak Golf Club, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia (originally Ipoh Golf Club) in 1879. Its Royal prefix was granted in 1932.

Adam Lawrence:
The Royal Calcutta club dates from 1829, but the course does not - I believe it is not on its original site.

Rich Goodale:

--- Quote from: Jim McCann on July 01, 2013, 05:48:38 AM ---Ron Fream sent me an email recently regarding some research he had conducted on "the oldest golf courses outside the United Kingdom".

With his permission, I have reproduced below a list of what he considers to be the oldest fifteen.

Ron accepts that this may not be a definitive list and would be delighted to have it corrected if need be via the gca site.

1   Royal Calcutta Golf Club, Kolkata, India in 1829.    Attained its Royal designation in 1911 from King George.

2   Pau Golf Club, Billere, Aquitaine, France in 1856.

3   Manchester Club, Mandeville, Manchester, Jamaica in 1865. The oldest course in the western hemisphere.

4   Otago Golf Club - originally Dunedin Golf Course - Balmacewen course, Dunedin, South Island, New Zealand in 1871.
                  The first course in the southern hemisphere.

5   Jakarta Golf Club, (Batavia Golf Club), Rawamangun - Jakarta, Indonesia in 1872.

6   Christchurch Golf Club, (Shirly Links), Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand in April 1873.

7   The Royal Montreal Golf Club, LleBizard, Quebec, Canada in November 1873. 
   The oldest course in North America, achieving its Royal designation from Queen Victoria eleven years after formation.

8   Le Club de Golf Royal Quebec, Boischatel, Quebec, Canada in 1874. Its Royal designation came in 1934.

9   Jorhat Gymkhana Club, Jorhat, Assam, India in early 1876.

10   Bangalore Golf Club, Bangalore, India in late 1876.

11   Toronto Golf Club, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada in 1876.

12   Madras Gymkhana Club, (Guindy Golf location), Chennai, India in 1884.

13   Shillong Golf Club, Shillong, Maghalaya, India in 1878.

14   Royal Colombo Golf Club, Colombo, Sri Lanka in 1879. The Royal designation came from King George V, 1928.

15   Royal Perak Golf Club, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia (originally Ipoh Golf Club) in 1879. Its Royal prefix was granted in 1932.

--- End quote ---

Jim

You (and Ron) must be joking. :o

Many thousands of golf courses were built outside of the UK by 1932.

Rich

Ally Mcintosh:
Care to have another go, Rich?

Tim Bert:
Rich - I'm no historian so I won't pretend to know how many courses existed by what date, but I think you provided quite a harsh reaction for someone that didn't even read the post carefully. The most recent course on the list was in the 1880s and not the 1930s. He simply stated when the course received its Royal designation but wasn't implying there were only 15 courses by 1932.

I'm not really sure why #12 is more recent than #13 through #15 when the rest of the list is in chronological order. Perhaps that date is a typo?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version