News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Re: Should Pasatiempo change their logo?
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2013, 01:18:34 PM »
I'm offended by the GCA logo, Japan bombed Pearl Harbor and tried to kill my Grandpa. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

Japan did all that just to kill your grandfather? Does sound ridiculous.
well played sir

Jay Flemma

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »
I'll throw out one other idea though...sometimes it's not bad to have a second logo (or more) to offer choices to the consumer and grow the brand.  For example, one course I know has their initials logo, but they also are known for the giant 30 foot high birdhouses they use for the 150 yard markers (on the side of the fairway, not in it!).  So now they have a second logo...just the birdhouse on the pole on the front...again, subtle, charming, classic.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Michael Essig

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »
As an alternative logo, and keeping with the meaning of pasatiempo, how about a slightly overweight white person lying in a hammock between two trees (with a beer next to him)?  Is that offensive, or exactly where you would rather be right at this moment?  I'm in my office typing.  The vision of me in a hammock, or on my double-chaise, passing the time looks really good right now.

SL_Solow

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2013, 03:22:19 PM »
Michael;  who would buy or wear that logo;  other than Hedren of course?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2013, 04:08:14 PM »
I would wear that logo, all I need is a hammock.

Michael Essig

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »
Michael;  who would buy or wear that logo;  other than Hedren of course?
Who is Hedren?  Sorry for my ignorance.

Do you watch Duck Dynasty?  Those guys play golf also. ;D  (Well, at least Willie and Jase do.)

We have never met, but I am the slightly overweight guy taking a cat nap on the double-chaise with my ice cold Heineken after a round on a Saturday afternoon.  (And trying to stay out of the politics of this conversation).  It is supposed to be 100 degrees at my mountain home (elevation 2000') this weekend, I will be that guy (logo) in two days.  I figured the logo was a self-portrait.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2013, 09:30:57 PM »
As an alternative logo, and keeping with the meaning of pasatiempo, how about a slightly overweight white person lying in a hammock between two trees (with a beer next to him)?  Is that offensive, or exactly where you would rather be right at this moment?  I'm in my office typing.  The vision of me in a hammock, or on my double-chaise, passing the time looks really good right now.
I will volunteer to be the model.  What nonsense, i should be holding an empty beer can
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2013, 09:33:12 PM »
I guess my avatar logo is offensive..

MM
I thought those Avatar guys were blue?
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Cliff Walston

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2013, 03:34:13 AM »
 In honor of this ridiculous thread, I sported my Pasatiempo shirt this evening at the Fifth Major.  Hell, he and I are kindred spirits.  I am a lazy gringo.  I just don't own as cool a hat as mi amigo, and I am jealous.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:32:10 PM by Cliff Walston »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2013, 08:05:47 AM »
That's like Kennedy proclaiming himself to be a jelly donut.

I think not.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/historical/a/jfk_berliner.htm

Danke schoen Herr Goodale. Good to see the linguistic experts agree Kennedy literally said "I am a jelly donut" but the smart people of Germany were able to understand the secondary interpretation.

As this discussion drags on it reminds me of the DC worker who was fired on grounds of racial harassment for using the word "niggardly" in a meeting. Most depressingly, those responsible continued to defend their decision even after being told the word's meaning. Just because it sounds like, you know, that other word.

If they're going to keep the logo they need to change the name to Pasa Tiempo. Either option presents revenue opportunities, so if the name is changed they get to look smart and make money at the same time.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2013, 10:06:09 AM »
That's like Kennedy proclaiming himself to be a jelly donut.

I think not.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/historical/a/jfk_berliner.htm

Danke schoen Herr Goodale. Good to see the linguistic experts agree Kennedy literally said "I am a jelly donut" but the smart people of Germany were able to understand the secondary interpretation.

As this discussion drags on it reminds me of the DC worker who was fired on grounds of racial harassment for using the word "niggardly" in a meeting. Most depressingly, those responsible continued to defend their decision even after being told the word's meaning. Just because it sounds like, you know, that other word.

If they're going to keep the logo they need to change the name to Pasa Tiempo. Either option presents revenue opportunities, so if the name is changed they get to look smart and make money at the same time.

How is changing their logo and/or name a revenue opportunity? 

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2013, 10:23:57 AM »
Announce the name change or logo as of a date in the future. That will get those who like the name or logo buying current inventory (restock as necessary) while they have the chance, then after the change is made that will encourage those with out-of-date name / logo to buy new to keep current. There will probably be a fair amount of free publicity generated by the change, which will get people buying both the old and new names / logos.

Depending on how sales of the original name / logo go they could, ahem, extend the period during which the old name / logo is available.

Professional sports teams have this down to a science. If they change the logo rather than the name they will get the benefit of "culture wars" purchasing: the anti's and pro's alike will step up and make "send a message" purchases. It's a cynical way to make money but it gets politicians elected and fills the coffers. You could say it's the American way.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2013, 08:38:51 PM »
Why are you guys so tied to this logo? For what reason? Just to hanging on to something just because somebody does not want it is a pretty dumb reason to keep it. What are you 12?

Notice I have not said anything about being offensive. If a restaurant prints its menu on a red paper and if even a few customers complain that the menu is hard to read, you change it to something else even if the owner is fond of color red.

This is just marketing 101.

If a few people complain about the golf course, should it be re-designed?

David Lott

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Yeah, because it's a boring logo.
David Lott

Garland Bayley

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2013, 11:14:39 PM »
Yeah, because it's a boring logo.

Exactly! Just like this thread!

And if it is finger licking good, why jelly donut and not fried chicken?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2023, 01:32:26 PM »
Not until the Cleveland Indians change their logo first.
So I guess it is time to change the logo?  Now that the Cleveland baseball team not only changed their logo, but also their name.

Jason Topp

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2023, 03:25:24 PM »
So I guess it is time to change the logo?  Now that the Cleveland baseball team not only changed their logo, but also their name.

Yes.  I wouldn’t wear the thing and I love the place.   

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2023, 04:04:15 PM »
I had never seen the logo until today...time to change it I'd agree.

They have a golden opportunity to connect it to Mackenzie. Just create a stylized silhouette of Mack sitting in the same position against a tree in his trademark flat cap and plus fours.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Pat Burke

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2023, 04:12:34 PM »
Why are you guys so tied to this logo? For what reason? Just to hanging on to something just because somebody does not want it is a pretty dumb reason to keep it. What are you 12?

Notice I have not said anything about being offensive. If a restaurant prints its menu on a red paper and if even a few customers complain that the menu is hard to read, you change it to something else even if the owner is fond of color red.

This is just marketing 101.

Well I’m fairness, to some, changing it because some might not like it could be absurd as well

Kalen Braley

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2023, 07:51:37 PM »

Don't forget about the Washington Redskins Commanders either.  ;)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2023, 08:46:18 PM »
Pasatiempo GC

Won't sell in Mexico

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Scott Weersing

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2023, 09:10:11 PM »
Gee 10 years later and the logo has not changed. I would guess to just keep it. I don't think the club needs to sell more or different logo-ed hats or shirts.

PCCraig

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2023, 10:08:58 PM »
10 years later and I still think there are logos I would push to change before this one. The picture above seems pretty harmless. A club with a Spanish name has an outline of a guy in a Spanish hat taking a nap under a palm tree. Maybe I'm missing something but seems pretty harmless as compared to the old Cleveland Indians or Washington Football Team.
H.P.S.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2023, 12:22:21 AM »
A club with a Spanish name has an outline of a guy in a Spanish hat taking a nap under a palm tree.

Well, Pat, first, it's not a Spanish hat, it's a Sombrero.  Spain isn't Mexico.

Second, there is a stereotype out there of "the lazy Mexican".  I am not Mexican, so it's not something I can really internalize.  But I was a student at UC Riverside in the early '90s, when there was national news around a fraternity t-shirt depicting a couple of Mexican stereotypes.  This was one of them, and at least on our campus, it was a big deal.  Now, I went to law school at a University with a Native American mascot that has had no shortage of controversy.  For me, if you can have a logo/mascot that offends very few people, or a logo/mascot that offends no one, the choice is pretty easy.   I'm not offended by Pasatiempo's logo, but that's not really relevant.  I also think they could come up with a perfectly acceptable logo that offended no one. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 03:48:04 PM by Bill Seitz »

JLahrman

« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2023, 10:16:22 AM »
A club with a Spanish name has an outline of a guy in a Spanish hat taking a nap under a palm tree.
Second, there is a stereotype out there of "the lazy Mexican".  I am not Mexican, so it's not something I can really internalize.  But I was a student at UC Riverside in the early '90s, when there was national news around a fraternity t-shirt depicting a couple of Mexican stereotypes.  This was one of them, and at least on our campus, it was a big deal.  Now, I went to law school at a University with a Native American mascot that has had no shortage of controversy.  For me, if you can have a logo/mascot that offends very few people, or a logo/mascot that offends no one, the choice is pretty easy.   I'm not offended by Pasatiempo's logo, but that's not really relevant.  I also think they could come up with a perfectly acceptable log that offended no one.

I agree with all that Bill. And having lived in Texas for nine years, which is obviously close to Mexico, I would suggest that anybody who had to work outside in the summer heat in that area would have invented the siesta (although it probably originated in Spain, which is also hot in summer). Just being outside, regardless of what you're doing, will absolutely drain you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back