News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

Re: Should Pasatiempo change their logo?
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 07:30:20 AM »
Perfect explanation Ronald.

Mark, if they write it all together it means amusement or hobby, which fits perfectly well with a golf club, because golf is exactly that. It is difficult to know if that was the intention of the founders of the club, but it would make perfect sense.
Ricardo

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »
Yes, but then doesn't the logo imply the pastime is...sleeping? They have a logo illustrating "pasa tiempo" but a name representing a pastime. Even if that's intentional it's not even good word play. Golf and sleeping have nothing to do with each other. Again, it's like Kennedy calling himself a jelly donut: funny, but the joke's entirely on him.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 08:52:14 AM »
I thought "Pasatiempo" was an idiom, that properly translated means "passing time."

Anyone "offended" by the logo of the golf course is either looking to manufacture outrage as a political move, or has too thin a skin. racially insensitive would be if they made some affirmative, overt statement that demeaned people of a certain ethnic descent.  The logo does neither.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:55:43 AM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

PCCraig

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 09:03:53 AM »
Not until the Cleveland Indians change their logo first.
H.P.S.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 09:09:02 AM »
No one made me King, and I am not particularly offended by the logo, but understand how a few might be.  That said, it seems like good business to change it, not for sensitivity reasons, but to refresh it and maybe sell more shirts.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 09:21:57 AM »
I agree.  There is one thing the Hispanic culture in NOT and that is lazy.  I used to think that afternoon nap was perhaps lazy, but once you go to Mexico or any of those tropical climates near the equator, you find out pretty soon that the afternoon siesta makes a heck of a lot more sense than it might in say, Chicago or Minnesota.

In fact, I think the golf industry is sort of going that way, too.  I hear its harder and harder to fill tee times in the heat of the day.  That is now discount time over the "after 4" tee times.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

C. Squier

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 09:40:17 AM »
It's only insensitive/offensive to people who are too stupid to understand that it's a tradition to take a power nap after a midday meal, especially during warmer months and not a lazy Hispanic.  Lazy is the last stereotype I'd apply to this particular group of people.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 10:02:58 AM »
Absolutely not. This fucking world is out of control. 

Bill Gayne

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »
I always thought it was a banana slug (UC-Santa Cruz mascot) on the logo.

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 10:59:25 AM »
How is it offensive? A guy in a sombrero napping? Anyone can wear a sombrero and what's wrong with napping? Everybody sleeps. This is really reaching, people who reach so hard to find something insensitive in our world are the problem. I think this is one of the best logos in golf and never considered it offensive.

+1

We have really gone too far in all of this PC reaching.

I'm offended all the time with people being offended all of the time.  Ha!

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »
Also, is Seminole changing their logo?

Mike Wagner

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
Why are you guys so tied to this logo? For what reason? Just to hanging on to something just because somebody does not want it is a pretty dumb reason to keep it. What are you 12?

Notice I have not said anything about being offensive. If a restaurant prints its menu on a red paper and if even a few customers complain that the menu is hard to read, you change it to something else even if the owner is fond of color red.

This is just marketing 101.

Richard,

If you're really talking about marketing 101, you should read the comments following the article. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 12:08:51 PM »
Should we find something more important to worry about? ;)

Mark McKeever

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »
I guess my avatar logo is offensive..

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

ed_getka

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 11:11:50 PM »
I am not up to date with what is culturally insensitive or not, but if they had a better logo, I would have bought a lot more stuff in their golf shop.  
  Got to agree with David on this one. Love the course, logo is not offensive, logo is boring and thus I've hardly purchased anything from the pro shop. As a matter of fact I only bought one thing there. A t-shirt without the boring logo that had Mackenzie on the back hitting an approach to 16.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »
I actually don't have a logo shirt from Pasatiempo, but I always liked their logo, because it's different.

The politically correct should take on Seminole and Shinnecock Hills first, and they can get back to me about Pasatiempo once they've won those battles.  Heck, for all I know, National's logo is offensive to somebody in Holland.

Mike Benham

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2013, 12:23:33 AM »
If they do want to change it, I suggest this logo, pending a licensing agreement:

It would only require a slight name change to:   Pasa-ten

"... and I liked the guy ..."

JLahrman

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2013, 12:55:20 AM »
Or how about Sharp Park in San Fran, where environmentalists are trying to protect some fresh water frog, and want to close this old MacKenzie gem and restore it to the natural salt marsh...which would actually change the habitats and kill off the fresh water frog.

There are extremists everywhere.

Speaking of...most people in the Bay Area would probably be more offended by the term "San Fran" than by Pasatiempo's logo. No "Frisco" either!

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2013, 01:04:36 AM »
I actually don't have a logo shirt from Pasatiempo, but I always liked their logo, because it's different.

The politically correct should take on Seminole and Shinnecock Hills first, and they can get back to me about Pasatiempo once they've won those battles.  Heck, for all I know, National's logo is offensive to somebody in Holland.

Tom,
As the son of someone who grew up in the Netherlands and a citizen of the country I can say that the NGLA logo is incredibly offensive! In fact, I think I'll write a letter tonight detailing why it's so offensive.  >:(  ;D

Although in actuality, if anyone is confused about the difference between Holland and the Netherlands (and them being the same country or whatnot, I propose you watch this video...it's very complicated (FYI the video is 4 mins long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc

Or how about Sharp Park in San Fran, where environmentalists are trying to protect some fresh water frog, and want to close this old MacKenzie gem and restore it to the natural salt marsh...which would actually change the habitats and kill off the fresh water frog.

There are extremists everywhere.

Speaking of...most people in the Bay Area would probably be more offended by the term "San Fran" than by Pasatiempo's logo. No "Frisco" either!

Yes. We younglings prefer "The Bay". It makes us seem that much more important.  ;D
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Sean_A

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2013, 04:26:08 AM »
So they blew it when they split it into two words? That's like Kennedy proclaiming himself to be a jelly donut. Kinda embarrassing for a place with a strong Spanish heritage.

Yes, but changing names is a bit French.  Folks lived on perfectly respectable streets with perfectly respectable names for hundreds of years.  After a bit of furor and folks now live on Rue de la Republique. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Rich Goodale

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 05:48:36 AM »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Paul Carey

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 07:08:31 AM »
Absolutely not. This fucking world is out of control. 
+1

Jay Flemma

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 12:10:27 PM »
I love the logo and wear my Pasa hat all the time.  I agree with Tom, it's a cool, fun, different logo.  My version of the hat is black with just the dude in the sombrero on the front - no name...subtle, simple, classic.  "Pasatiempo" is on the back.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »
Is this actually being proven by PC police? or is it just the club itself thinking that a change might be good, and that part of their reasoning is because it may be racially offensive. Maybe they came to that conclusion because they're getting letters, but maybe they have a club member or two who have raised concerns. We don't know.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 01:08:38 PM »
I'm offended by the GCA logo, Japan bombed Pearl Harbor and tried to kill my Grandpa. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back