News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Should Pasatiempo change their logo?
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2023, 11:57:57 PM »

Sioux might not be the best example. It was a derogatory name imposed by outsiders on a group of several different tribes (at least as I was taught in school). As such, even if one tribe was fine with it, that could well have left many more on the other side of the argument. From what I heard changing it would have been the right choice.

If the situation is different with the Seminole, great.

It’s my understanding that almost the exact same could be said about the Seminole name and the collection of I believe 5 different tribes.

I also recall that the Lakota Sioux were vocal about changing the UND mascot in a similar way the Okaloma Seminole have been at FSU. While the Dakota Sioux more were in favor of keeping it, they are significantly outnumbered compared to the Lakota. Leading to the distant voice outweighing the local voice.

But we’ve probably gone down this tangent enough for a 10 year old thread that was going down its own tangent.

???
Lakota Sioux and Dakota Sioux are the same, just a different spelling of the same word.
 ???
A former Dakotan
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2023, 12:41:21 AM »

???
Lakota Sioux and Dakota Sioux are the same, just a different spelling of the same word.
 ???
A former Dakotan

Granted, it's been a while since I read into much around the UND mascot change, but my recollection is Lakota and Dakota are language divisions between the various Sioux tribes. So if someone came from a tribe that spoke Lakota, they would identify as a Lakota Sioux.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2023, 10:41:57 AM »

On the grass tennis courts in front of the St. Martin clubhouse.

Nice find... I haven't been to their St. Martins location as yet. We have a reciprocal with PCC so I should make the time to visit. Note the hessian mat laid down on the courts. Put a real wicket on that ground and you'll be fielding complaints from the tennis playing members all day...
Next!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2023, 07:56:16 PM »
Pasatiempo is a semi-private club with little national cachet, at least beyond this treehouse. It likely doesn't receive government funding. The renaming bandwagon is directed at government, public institutions. Leave it be.

Major oops on my part. It is semi-private, not private as I originally posted. Modifications have been made
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 01:25:36 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2023, 12:02:59 AM »
Pasatiempo is a private club with little national cachet

Really?  Last time I played I booked on golf now.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2023, 01:26:39 AM »

Thanks Joe, for pointing out my mistake. How stupid of me. :)

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2023, 06:09:46 PM »

Thanks Joe, for pointing out my mistake. How stupid of me. :)

In defense of your statement I no longer see public  times available on golf now or even their website.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2023, 07:01:30 PM »
Their website says semi-private and has a button for limited tee times, minimum $345 per player.

Sean_A

« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2023, 12:45:18 AM »
What does the distinction of private have to do with the issue? I guess if the logo could never be seen from off property or worn off property? I am confused.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2023, 01:19:35 AM »
What does the distinction of private have to do with the issue? I guess if the logo could never be seen from off property or worn off property? I am confused.

Ciao
If it was a muni course it would be operated by the government. There would be an insurmountable outcry from the public forcing politicians to change the name. The same would happen to public elementary and high schools, public institutions of higher  learning.
Private universities, such as Notre Dame and its nickname Fighting Irish, can do what they wish, much as a private country club can do.

In short, taxpayer money is treated differently than private funds.

A professional football team may be privately owned, but if they play at a municipally (publicly) financed stadium, the 'rules' become different, as was found out by the Washington franchise.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 01:22:45 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Sean_A

« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2023, 02:38:15 AM »

Ciao
If it was a muni course it would be operated by the government. There would be an insurmountable outcry from the public forcing politicians to change the name. The same would happen to public elementary and high schools, public institutions of higher  learning.
Private universities, such as Notre Dame and its nickname Fighting Irish, can do what they wish, much as a private country club can do.

In short, taxpayer money is treated differently than private funds.

A professional football team may be privately owned, but if they play at a municipally (publicly) financed stadium, the 'rules' become different, as was found out by the Washington franchise.

Yes. However, I don't believe the reason for logo changes are down to the public private separation. Do  you?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back