News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

I've really enjoyed watching updates on the work. Keep them coming.

That's some bunker on the 5th!

Mark McKeever

I can't wait to see how deep they dig for HHA.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Powell Arms

I've really enjoyed watching updates on the work. Keep them coming.

That's some bunker on the 5th!

And here is 5 today with the bunkers sanded and grassed! Taken from approx 125 yards out, right side of fairway

PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Mark McKeever

Powell Arms

Here is a time lapse video showing the start of construction of the Great Hazard on #4, a 493 yard par 5 played to an elevated green with a large fronting bunker.

Here's the yardage book from last year.

For reference, the camera is placed right of the fairway and is looking towards to green. The near side of the visible existing bunker is 264 off of the member tee and leaves a 240 shot in to the green.

http://youtu.be/7pUIc9fyPQY
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:29:09 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Mark McKeever

A couple updates from my round at the Militia Hill course next door.  See the expanded 5 green below.

Mark McKeever

And some initial shaping of some of the Hell's Half Acre features.  Looking good!

Charlie Gallagher

Powell,
   When the crew excavated the area for the reclaimed Hell's Half Acre did they find anything of interest beneath the sod? Your pictorial is wonderful to follow along with.

Stewart Naugler

This is what GCA is all about! What a great thread.

Thanks guys

Powell Arms

When the crew excavated the area for the reclaimed Hell's Half Acre did they find anything of interest beneath the sod?

Charlie, they have not found anything on HHA, yet.

They did find a couple of golf balls during the excavation of the #5 greenside bunkers. Nothing special, just a couple of balls circa 1980.

One of the interesting finds so far has been that the old sprinkler lines and heads were actually installed within the perimeter of the old green pads. The greens had shrunk so much over time that no one realized that sprinklers were being installed in green area.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

David Bartman

Re: Renovation of Philly Cricket's Wissahickon course is underway
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »

Rebuild and sod greens with A1/A4 bent (have never been rebuilt since opening in 1922)

How did the club decide to use A1/A4 and not one of the newer bents such as 007 or Tyee?  Why did the club decide to sod instead of see the greens? 

Thanks in advance
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Ed Brzezowski

Good Lord , hope I get onto the team that rates this course. It looks fantastic!!
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Powell Arms

Re: Renovation of Philly Cricket's Wissahickon course is underway
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2013, 05:38:14 PM »

Rebuild and sod greens with A1/A4 bent (have never been rebuilt since opening in 1922)

How did the club decide to use A1/A4 and not one of the newer bents such as 007 or Tyee?  Why did the club decide to sod instead of see the greens?  

Thanks in advance

David, below is a comprehensive answer from Cricket's Director of Grounds, Dan Meersman:

Sodding
We wanted our turf to be as mature as possible when we opened for member play, and sodding reduces risk and washouts during construction.

Sodding also reduced our construction window.  This gave our members six additional months of golfing.

Because we planned in advance we were very involved in all aspects of the seeding and grow-in process at the farm.  In the end, we are getting exactly what we wanted; versus whatever some sod farm had in stock.  

I don't begrudge anyone who chooses to seed either, but greens sod has gotten an unfair reputation because a lot of clubs in the past who have sodded their greens "had to sod" their greens because they needed a quick turn-around following some loss of turf in August; which then forced a hasty, un-planned greens program.  

Often times in these situations, they lost turf in the first place because of bad growing environments; not because of the green.  Therefore, when they find themselves in the throws of their season in September and October, they quickly have to react and sod a new surface in the same bad growing environment....which obviously fails again.  During such times, they  have to get whatever sod anyone has in stock.  Truthfully, not many folks have experience sodding a complete greens program with 18 good growing environments, using the exact sod they had planned on using years ahead of time.

In our case we improved every greens growing environment years ahead of time.  Therefore, we already had great turf on every green when we closed.  These same great growing environments gives our new sod their best chance for success.  

There's a difference between planning a greens program, vs. reacting into a greens program.

A1/A4
Depending on geography, they have yet to develop an improvement of A1/A4, thankfully there is not a lot to improve.  We already have it on Militia Hill, it grows great on our site, and it was an area which our members can expect consistency between the two courses.  Genetically, 007 is an improvement of L93.  Wouldn't necessarily say it's better than A1/A4.  007 is indeed a great turf, and we are using it on fairways, tees, and approaches.

What's funny about the seed variety debate, and superintendents do this too, is you can grow great quality turf with almost any of the good varieties with good growing environments.  Unfortunately, many courses go to great lengths to research a great seed variety, then place it in the same poor growing environments they had.  Then, when the turf isn't optimal, they are fast to blame the grass variety, when the truth is, they didn't  improve the growing environments.  

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 05:42:16 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Powell Arms

Good Lord , hope I get onto the team that rates this course. It looks fantastic!!

If not in the rating team, I bet we can find another solution!
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

David Bartman

Powell,

Thanks so much for the detailed response :)

David
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Dan Herrmann

Awesome.  Brilliantly awesome!

Bruce Katona

Tom Doak: I like the idea of the porous pavement as a base for the bunkers. I assume you install drainage beneath the porous pavement as in "typical" bunker construction.  How much, if any, does adding the pavement cost to an average sized bunker ?

Powell Arms

Bruce - typical drainage is installed under the porous asphalt. The photo below is from when when installed at Cricket 's Militia Hill course to replace the bunker linings there 8 yrs after it opened.

As for cost, once the crew gets good, the cost is very close to the cost of a traditional bunker. The materials do cost a bit more, but the speed of the installation of the matrix asphalt product is at least 2 to 3 times faster than a traditional fabric liner. Bunkers filled today had the asphault conpleted in about 30-45 minutes per.

And the quality of the end product is much more consistent than the traditional fabric lined bunker that is stapled to the ground every 6-12 inches.

Send me a pm or email if you would like more specific information. It is easy to do a couple of test bunkers.

Merion recently did 9 bunkers on their West Course as the first part of their bunker project on that course.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:57:38 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Ed Brzezowski

If not in the rating team, I bet we can find another solution!
Looking forward to it, great job.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Mark McKeever

Laying sod on 5 green!

MM

Powell Arms

More sod for the 5th green

And some immediate water to avoid damage from the east coast heat wave

PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Mark McKeever

Its been a while since we've seen a grand hazard update!

MM

Powell Arms

All in a day's work

Fifth green and sixth tee looking a bit different after today's sod work:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:15:46 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Powell Arms

Its been a while since we've seen a grand hazard update!

MM

And here it is:

Not the place to be.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Mark McKeever

It looks disturbing.  I like it...

MM

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back