News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Have the snapping turtles, snakes, and attacking red wing blackbirds been acquired yet?  :) :)

Charlie Gallagher

Powell,
  You notice that McKeever is quite demanding about these updates?

Mark McKeever

Gags,

I've avoided going down there simply because its such a tease.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Charlie Gallagher

Mark,
   Better to get the full blown effect after they get further along with construction.

Powell Arms

Mark,
   Better to get the full blown effect after they get further along with construction.

Many would sit in lawn chairs watching if we could!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:00:59 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Mark McKeever

The true challenge is going to be....having to watch the course grow in over the fall after all the work is done.  That's going to be brutal.

Mark

Mark McKeever

Another Hell's Half Acre update.  They are using sand from old bunkers to build up the lips of the new traps.  What a great idea.  :)

MM

Powell Arms

Keith Foster perfecting the bunker floor on the 6th hole bunker greenside front right. Note the green behind ready for sod.

Testing bunker zone irrigation on the right side of 6th fairway

Very early rough grading for the huge bunker on the right of 7 fairway about 110 yards to 40 yards to the green. Are those church pews?

Evening photo of the day's progress on the Great Hazard on 4

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:11:18 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Mark McKeever

Grand hazard looks phenomenal!!

Powell Arms

Here's the latest overall report.

#5 / #6

#5 green and #6 tees were buttoned up this week.  This provides a clear view of our finished product.  Bentgrass green, tee, and approach sod was installed this week.  In addition, the one-third of #5 fairway closest to the green was also sodded.

Other Progress

We will be heading down the home-stretch on #6 next week.  Sod has already been placed around two fairway bunkers.  The remaining greenside bunkers were lined today.  By the end of next week, we hope to achieve final approvals so we can complete the hole within the next couple weeks.

"The Great Hazard" on #4 is transitioning from the rough-grading stage to the fine-grading stage.

During this process our new bunker faces are being sand-capped with our old bunker sand.   As PCC lies in the Mid-Atlantic Region of the U.S., the combination of plenty of annual rainfall with heavy soils can cause native fescue to naturally become thick.  Sand-capping is an effort to try to keep the new fescue drier, and thinner, than what they would naturally want to become. 

We expect final approvals on all of #4 next week.  This will allow us to sod around bunkers quickly thereafter.

Phase 1 Rough Grading

Rough grading continues on #4 & #7 tees, and all of #7.  Next week, rough grading will begin on holes #8 and #9 as well.

PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Powell Arms

Detailing the bunker in the 4 drive landing area, fairway right. A drive landing in there may necessitate a lay up of the Great Hazard, seen in the background.

4 from approach. Front bunker lining complete with sand being installed on the right bunker.

4 front end of fairway, right side, overlooking the bunker about 30 yards from green.

Tanto Irrigation installing #6 bunker zone irrigation alongside PCC staff installing matrix liner.

Philly Cricket staff completing the fairway tie ins on 6

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:40:25 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Ed Brzezowski

Looks fantastic, how are you folks going to combat the current heat wave?  Do the current conditions make it easier to work with the asphalt liners?

Cannot wait to see it in person, the Grand Hazard looks like something we saw at Carnoustie. May have to toss out the rating table for this hole.

Great job Sir.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Powell Arms

Looks fantastic, how are you folks going to combat the current heat wave?  Do the current conditions make it easier to work with the asphalt liners?

Ed, everything has held on schedule throughout this heat wave.  I dont think anyone working outside would find anything easier with a heat index exceeding 100! 
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Powell Arms

First mowing of 5rh green, four days after laying sod.

PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Powell Arms

Fourth green from approach right of fairway approx 30 yards out.  Green is ready for sod

PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Dan Herrmann

Will that sand lose some of its brightness over time?   Looks like what they have at Augusta, which is great for Augusta, but probably not for this course.

Powell Arms

Will that sand lose some of its brightness over time?   Looks like what they have at Augusta, which is great for Augusta, but probably not for this course.

Dan, there sand is Valley Forge "buff". It is the same sand that is Militia Hill,  just a darker shade (buff). It isn't nearly as bright in person as the photos show. 
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Dan Herrmann

Yeah...  I figured that after I hit the post button.

Everything's looking GREAT!

Powell Arms

Yeah...  I figured that after I hit the post button.

Everything's looking GREAT!

Amazing how bright those photos get under the noon sun on 100 degree days. I'm surprised the bunkers don't have heat waves radiating off of them.

We are working to schedule a tour of the construction in the coming weeks. Hope you're able to make it and see it in person.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Brian Colbert

Powell, I absolutely love the work that's being done out there. But i'll go ahead and say it: I'm disappointed in how benign the greenside bunkers on 4 and 6 look. Maybe it's different in person but why would the architect choose to put a relatively flat bunker in front of the 6th green when it is merely an iron and a wedge hole? Shouldn't a miss on such a hole be severely penalized? And what is deterring the longer player from hitting it in the bunker short with their second shot on 4? If I am in the fairway with 250-270 on that hole, I am thinking my best chance to make birdie is to hit it in the bunker and try and get up and down. Conversely, if the player lays up and is left with a wedge in his hand, why shouldn't the miss be severely penalized in line the point made about 6?

I realize my opinion carries no weight with the membership of Philadelphia Cricket Club and never will; I am simply trying to generate some discussion here. Overall the work looks absolutely phenomenal and I think it will elevate what is IMO already a top 5 course in the Philadelphia to a whole new level. But I am curious about the decision to somewhat curb the severity of the hazards on these two holes. I was told Keith Foster said that his goal was to make the redan bunker "a disturbing sight from the tee." Why not the same philosophy here?

Mark McKeever

Fourth green from approach right of fairway approx 30 yards out.  Green is ready for sod

This bunker looks pretty interesting as the lip on the right side of the trap faces away from the hole.  It almost seems like it should be rotated 90 degrees.

Mark

Powell Arms

Brian,

I think you will find the bunker greenside front on 4 a lot deeper than the photos appear.  There is a photo above with workers in the bunker that gives some perspective of its depth.

However, there is no doubt that every feature will not be made as penal as it could be.  

Part of what Keith Foster is doing with the club's project leadership is making sure the course is enjoyable for all levels of the club's golfers.  From what I understand from those discussions, that appears to me to be the toughest part of Keith's work.  For context, Cricket has very active senior and ladies golf programs. We also have 150 players with indices below 7 and 20 at scratch or better.  Quite a broad audience.

Before the project started, I was speaking with our Director of Grounds, Dan Meerman, and he brought up two key questions for thought. First, how many forced carries are you asking the golfer to navigate.  Second, why were specific old features removed.  Just because they were there in 1938 doesn't by default make them good.

For forced carries, there are forced carries on:
1, off the tee across the stream

2, on the approach, again across the stream (certainly 1 & 2 are non issues to better players, and probably wouldnt have entered your mind for a list of forced carries)

3, entire waste area tee to green (70-100 yards)

4, across HHA, 30 yards at extreme right, 100 yards on preferred line to left, plus on to elevated green

5, previously to the elevated green

etc...

Using these as an example, a key task is to make these holes manageable for higher handicap players.  Hence, on 4, the HHA is less deep and less severe on the extreme right side. On 5, not really visible from the photos, the fairway now extends on the left around the greenside front bunker, so a player could approach the green on the ground at about 8 o'clock on the green.  Also on 5, the fairway bunkers have been constructed with the sort of graduated penalty you described.  There are three bunkers on the right side of the fairway.  The bunker furtherest from the green is shallow, and they get progressively deeper with a higher face.  The thought is that a shorter player or one electing to lay up will have a mild penalty, and the penalty gets two steps more severe for the longer player or player choosing driver.

For the rationale behind removing features over the years (meaning total removal, as opposed to diminished due to maintenance practices), one of the features still in question is the top shot bunker on 16, visible about 100 yards off of the tee at the bottom left of this 1938 aerial.  Something will be done there, but the question remains open.

So, not really an answer to your question, but I hope this gives a bit of insight into the questions that Keith is discussing with the club as the final decisions are made in the field.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:32:14 AM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Mark McKeever

16 tee in that old aerial looks very similar to today's 9 tee.  Hopefully they bring that back.  On a related note, check out that cool quarry face on the right side of 18 fairway.   ;D

Mark

Powell Arms

Here's a look at the Great Hazard on 4 with the bunkers lined and filled with sand.

Not where you want to be - creating a formidable second shoot hazard

And now for a look at a new hole. A new championship tee was roughed in today on 9.  It adds 40-50 yards to this brute of an uphill par 4. It sits behind the 8th green , about 40 feet from the edge of the maintenance facility!

The old layout of 9, uphill the whole way to a two tiered green. Par 4 1/2.

Another view of the new championship tee for 9, with the 8th green in the foreground.

More photos soon, including sod laying on 4 and 6 greens from the two refrigerated trailers delivered today.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:32:45 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Mark McKeever

So 9 is going to basically be an uphill 500 yard par 4.  (shutter)

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back