News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Was the 2nd hole at Merion...
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 06:46:48 AM »
Was the right side much different than this picture last week?

I think it would have blown the golf worlds mind if they had mown a big wide fairway from Ardmore Avenue to the creek...

So we're in agreement on that. How idiotic are the other suggestions in my post? Hit me with your best, I can take it!
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

JESII

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 07:39:55 AM »
I would fully endorse a fairway that began at Ardmore Ave and rolled into the creek next to 5.

Both holes are par 4.5 that way. No need to do anything else. If it were firm and downwind players would have mid irons into both.

EDIT...just keep some arrangement of trees up there in the middle please.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:43:58 AM by Jim Sullivan »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 08:02:21 AM »
I would fully endorse a fairway that began at Ardmore Ave and rolled into the creek next to 5.

Both holes are par 4.5 that way. No need to do anything else. If it were firm and downwind players would have mid irons into both.

EDIT...just keep some arrangement of trees up there in the middle please.

So is there any counter-argument other than "If you did that, someone could bomb a driver way offline and still make birdie"? I think that's basically the supposed down-side that makes deep rough the only option under consideration.

JESII

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 08:32:23 AM »
Nope.

I understand the USGA thought on setting up a course for their Open. These guys are so good with every part of the game that wall to wall fairways on a soft golf course would result in minimal challenge almost no matter how great the greens are...and Merion's are great.

On these two holes (2 and 5), the result would be exponentially more long second shots trying to get on or around the green...more pars and birdies, but also more big numbers due to what can happen around those greens. It would be cool, but an unrealistic wish for a US Open perhaps...

archie_struthers

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 08:43:16 AM »
  ;D ;D ;D

Jim,   I am totally on board with the fairway idea, itwould b awesome!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 12:40:30 PM »
Ted, I've played Merion once. A narrow fairway is  incongruous to the wide open expanse, that lays out in front of you. Dictating where to hit the ball is anti-core principle. But I will defend the members right to have it anyway they want.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 01:08:43 PM »
  ;D ;D ;D

Jim & Archie,

I believe that it was close to that in 1948-1950

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 01:11:01 PM »
Ted, I've played Merion once. A narrow fairway is  incongruous to the wide open expanse, that lays out in front of you. Dictating where to hit the ball is anti-core principle. But I will defend the members right to have it anyway they want.

Adam,

The "will" of the membership dictates everything.

But, that "will" is fickle and shifting with trends and fads.

At some point, certain architectural principles should remain true to the design philosophy and intent of the original architect.

Isn't "the members right to have it anyway they want" responsible for disfiguring so many golf courses ?

JESII

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 01:21:35 PM »
  ;D ;D ;D

Jim & Archie,

I believe that it was close to that in 1948-1950

Pat,

You would have been in your late 40's around then...how did the course play for an older guy back then?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 01:23:28 PM »
Jim,

Fast and firm.

There wasn't much in the way of automatic irrigation in those days, making the cant of the fairways more challenging.

JMEvensky

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 01:23:47 PM »

Pat,

You would have been in your late 40's around then...how did the course play for an older guy back then?

Only late 40's?

JESII

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 02:40:48 PM »
Slipped it by him so far...one can tire early at his age...

Adam Clayman

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 07:35:08 PM »
Patrick, I agree with you on all levels you mentioned. But, they certainly shouldn't and wouldn't listen to gca.com on how to present their mow lines. Even if we are unemotional and objective.

A beautiful round of golf is a thing to behold. I highly doubt such a pretty thing could be witnessed, with the current set up.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back