News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

With #2 hosting back to back Men's and Women's US Opens next year, just think how Merion would play for the women this week.

Would the long holes be too long?
It's all about the golf!

BHoover

Re: What would the Women's US Open look like at Merion this week?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:05:55 AM »
I think the ladies would be hitting out of a lot of divots in the fairways. 

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »
They would be playing more of the member tees I am guessing.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

William_G

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »

no doubt!
It's all about the golf!

BHoover

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:19:17 AM »

no doubt!

Which is why I still don't understand how the USGA is going to pull off back-to-back Opens at Pinehurst in 2014.  Frankly, I enjoy watching the regular, women's and senior Opens played on different courses. 

David Bartman

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:40:07 AM »
They would be playing more of the member tees I am guessing.

Mark

Not to mention, they wouldn't be able to hit anything more than a wedge from the rough.  I have seen women play ladies US OPEN rough and it is truly amazing how many of them struggle to hit it out of rough that just seemed like normal length rough to me.  Almost all of them are sweepers and really struggle when they have to "change" their swings to become more upright to take less grass and hit the ball first.  In fact, many of them are far more swing robots than men and dont even have an idea on how to change their swing plane to hit shots out of the rough.

Next year at Pinehurst is going to be very very interesting.   The LPGA gets the much broader infrastructure that the men's US Open provides but will it be worth it for a course that will no doubt be beat up. 
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

William_G

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 11:30:58 AM »
David,

LOL, robots lined up by their caddies.

the rough would fry their circuitry.

#2 probably works ok for robots
It's all about the golf!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 11:45:59 AM »

The LPGA gets the much broader infrastructure that the men's US Open provides but will it be worth it for a course that will no doubt be beat up. 

David, I'm not sure what you mean by a broader infrastructure.  Can you explain? 

David Bartman

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 01:25:31 PM »
Jim,

The ladies open doesn't spend nearly the amount that the men do, less TV money, on TV towers, grandstands etc.  Since the men play first all the extra infrastructure will maintain for the Ladies open providing them much more than usual.  I think think is one HUGE reason that Mr. Whan is willing to take the risk that the course is beat up and rough may be at a longer length than desired. 
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 04:32:31 PM »
Torture!!!!!

next year .....Pinehurst for the women might be very high risk for the women's game.  Do you want to watch the less skilled, when you can watch the highly skilled?  Women's golf needs to find a separate identity and not be compared to the men's game.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »
Let's hope weather is not a factor, what if poor weather pushes play into Monday and then there is a play-off, the ladies might not have access to the course until Tuesday.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 04:36:56 PM »
Let's hope weather is not a factor, what if poor weather pushes play into Monday and then there is a play-off, the ladies might not have access to the course until Tuesday.
I wonder also if a 2 week separation would be better.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 04:37:26 PM »

Couldn't hurt, could it?

BHoover

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »

I think a week or so between Opens makes too much sense.  Sure, the idea of back-to-back Opens is attractive from a marketing standpoint, but I wonder how beat up Pinehurst will be following the men's Open?  I think the main concern is going to be divots.  Yes, the ladies will be using different teas, but I think that only raises the possibility that they will be playing from lots of fairway divots.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 04:46:24 PM »
Every time I saw an overhead shot of #1 on Sunday, I thought "I can't believe they're playing back-to-back events next year."  There were hundreds of divots.

We said the same thing as we trudged through inches of smelly mud on Friday.  Rain destroys the spectator areas and will really lessen the experience for a two-week spread.

WW

William_G

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 04:49:25 PM »
Torture!!!!!

next year .....Pinehurst for the women might be very high risk for the women's game.  Do you want to watch the less skilled, when you can watch the highly skilled?  Women's golf needs to find a separate identity and not be compared to the men's game.

golf is golf

yet back to back opens does invite comparisons
It's all about the golf!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 06:04:25 PM »
Jim,

The ladies open doesn't spend nearly the amount that the men do, less TV money, on TV towers, grandstands etc.  Since the men play first all the extra infrastructure will maintain for the Ladies open providing them much more than usual.  I think think is one HUGE reason that Mr. Whan is willing to take the risk that the course is beat up and rough may be at a longer length than desired.  

There won't be any rough, in the sense you're probably thinking about it, at Pinehurst next year.  As for hitting out of divots left by the men, I believe the course will be (should be) set up so that good drives from the women's open tees will end up past the men's divot fields.  Beyond that, there still may be issues, but I think it is worth a try.  Frankly, I give the USGA credit for going a little outside the box.  Whether it works or not, we'll have learned something.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:06:34 PM by Carl Johnson »

mike_beene

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 07:08:23 PM »
But won't the sand based Bermuda grow over the divots quickly that time of year?The greens would be the worry from a weather perspective since they are still bent,are they not?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back