News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Phillips

Re: The best "tempting" hole???
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 11:47:01 AM »
14 at Loch Lomond

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »
If its the visual sort of temptation one wants there is none better than Kington's 18th.
A great hole but surely driver is the only option?  I can't think of another way of playing the hole.

Jonathan Stewart

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »
When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of Tobacco Road. There are a lot of tempting holes on the course, but two that exemplify temptation holes are 5 and 11.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:06:06 PM by Jonathan Stewart »

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »
6 @ Ballyhack

I say this after watching hundreds of players try to tackle the hole.  There is temptation on the tee shot but also on the approach that follows a "smart" first strike.

Trouble left of the hole has been thinned by the goats over the past year.  Now, wayward shots are findable AND often playable.  I notice that players who took on too much on from the tee (and ended up left) often try to bite too much from the recovery shot as well.  The green is the trickiest to read on the course, but they don't usually find it anyway.

My favorite thing about the hole is that shorter tee boxes actually bribe players into hitting MORE club.  Good players rarely hit driver from the back tee but often do from one or two boxes up.  This is backwards from most holes on most courses, where more length means a longer club selection.

There are a couple of effective (and more predictable) ways to play the hole but I'm not giving them away; I've seen too many matches turn 180 degrees between the fifth green and the seventh tee.  Add to this that the hole introduces a stretch of relatively "gettable" holes (6-11, and sometimes 12), and it can make a huge difference in outcome.

WW

David Stewart

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 01:14:28 PM »
I know we've been over the short par 4s at Dormie Club (3, 14, 15) before. Some think there is only one correct way to play them, some disagree. The fact that there is so much argument about them makes them temptation holes.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
It's rarely discussed, but I'd nominate #9 at Congressional, assuming you're playing from the right set of tees.  A good drive on this par 5 leaves a chance to go for the green in two, and with no water and only a deep (20-30 feet?) gully in front, people assume that a less-than-great 2nd shot will still leave them in ok position to hit the green in 3.  Not so:  the lies in the gully are almost always very awkward and more often than not people make 6 or worse from down there.   

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 06:35:10 PM »
#10 at Merion East.

Buffalove goes out to:

#5 and #10 at Donnie Ross' CCBuffalo

#14 at Scott Witter's Arrowhead

#2 and #15 at Russ Tryon's Byrncliff

#16 at robbie jones' Crag Burn

#18 at wally travis' Orchard Park CC.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

MMcCollins

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 07:55:58 AM »
#9 at Cypress.  Its almost too distracting, but stitting 300 away, elevated tee makes everyone wonder

Jud_T

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 09:02:32 AM »
#13 at Kingsley.  Attempting to drive the green often leaves one with an awkward chip or pitch.  Laying up to give yourself a full wedge or 9-iron from the proper angle will yield more birdies and less X's IMO.  The fact that the hazard is primarily short grass makes it all that much more tempting.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Josh Tarble

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »
#10 at Merion East.

How tempting is this hole normally?  It looks like you would have to bend your tee shot so much it probably isn't the optimal play.  Do you see anyone going for the green next weekend?

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
If its the visual sort of temptation one wants there is none better than Kington's 18th.
A great hole but surely driver is the only option?  I can't think of another way of playing the hole.

Noc sir!  I have hit all my woods on this hole.  Its all about trying to figure out what happens after the ball lands and of course that means controlling ball flight.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »
1,2 NGLA

Mac Plumart

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 01:14:51 PM »
11 at Rivermont (drive-able par 4)

16 Cypress Point (at least it seems like it might be somewhat tempting)

8 Dismal River Nicklaus (drive the green or play out left)

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »
Agree with Riviera #10 and Rustic Canyon #12.  Also how about Merion #13...short par 3....thinking birdie or at least par with a wedge in your hands, but can easily make bogie or worse if you're too greedy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back