News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Beard

Re: Wilshire in LA
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 08:05:57 AM »
Wilshire is a fun track and well worth the time to play.  The 10th green is something you don't see very much.

Randy St John

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 10:16:23 AM »
the big question for the front 9 is if there is any plan for restoring  the saddle that ran from left to right down the middle of the 3rd green. this was once one of the coolist and most testy greens in SoCal, but has been rebuilt worse each time a  few times since the early 80's.  I was fortunate to play Wilshire regularly from 1977-1982 because it was my high school's home course with several teamates who were members.
Interesting, the 3rd and18th greens are Kyle's 2top unfinished pieces.

Why are you sodding the fairways ?

Why not sprig them ?

Won't sodding cost multiples of sprigging ?

Also, won't sodding take years of TLC to achieve consistent fairway lies ?[/size][/color]

The back fairways are near perfect. Sprigging would take far longer than we wish to keep closed. Vertigrooming, slicing, top dressing, etc. are all the norm.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 09:26:55 AM »
Randy,

Is any thought being given to the drive zone on # 8 ?

The creek seemed to come into play more than normal for well hit drives due to the slope of the fairway/rough

Randy St John

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 07:00:46 PM »
Perhaps a well hit drive wouldn't be with a driver?  Seriously, most longer hitters lay back with something to leave a short iron.  There is no real gain to busting it past 250. The landing zone starts to tighten after the 220 yard range anyway.  All in, the hole is under 400 yards.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 11:45:50 PM »
Perhaps a well hit drive wouldn't be with a driver?  Seriously, most longer hitters lay back with something to leave a short iron.  There is no real gain to busting it past 250. The landing zone starts to tighten after the 220 yard range anyway.  All in, the hole is under 400 yards.

Laying back is not without consequence, especially to a tucked in green guarded by the use of that creek.
That approach gets tighter as you distance yourself from the green.

Interesting risk reward off the tee.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 04:18:03 AM »
The 10th

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 08:42:41 AM »
RMD,

The 10th hole is fabulous.

The angled green, bunkering and depth allow for great variety in the play of a fascinating hole.

In a way it reminds me of # 13 at Pine Tree

David Ober

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »
RMD,

The 10th hole is fabulous.

The angled green, bunkering and depth allow for great variety in the play of a fascinating hole.

In a way it reminds me of # 13 at Pine Tree

It is a great hole. Very exacting yardage-wise. From the back tee, can play as short as 135ish and as long as 185ish. Just a fantastic hole. And I love the way it's situated right there in front of God and everybody. Tee shots in a tournament are always watched by dozens of people. Good stuff....

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »
Would 10 be better without those palm trees framing the green?

David Panzarasa

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2013, 05:51:43 PM »
When Mr. Mucci and I played last fall, he walked/paced off the 4th hole and the 10th hole.

The 4th can play from 110yards to 190yard
The 10th can play 110 yards (yesterday for me) to 180ish

For me, whats so fun about having this as my home course, is this past 2 weeks

I played Wilshire shot 88, 94. I went to LACC twice and shot 81 and 82 (putting horribly). Played Riviera and shot a 82.
Yesterday, thinking I was on form, ready for my match, I shot a 90 I think. I lost

For a "shorter" course, it's just fun as hell, and "gets your game" strong. I cant seem to score well ever, which keeps bringing me back.

I heard a lot of trees will be taken down on the 3rd hole, which hopefully is the case. That's the one hole I have an issue with. Most good tee shots will be blocked from the green on your approach because of the trees.

The back nine fairways were perfect yesterday, they came in really nicely

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »

Would 10 be better without those palm trees framing the green?

Wayne,

The Palms are fine, the only reason your eye is drawn to them is because of the narrowed border of the photo.

On site, your eye takes in the entire 180 degree view, not a confined view represented by the photo.

And your eye tends to riveted to the flag and what's between the flag and the tee.

It's a daunting shot made more complicated by any breeze.

It's a very unique hole, one requiring the courage of your convictions/shot selection.

David and I had an enormously enjoyable day playing and analyzing the golf course 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back