News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Re: Ladies Masters at ANGC
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2015, 09:24:04 AM »
If there was a market for watching golfers "who play the game more like us" at The Masters, Mike Weir would be a fixture in the featured groups  these last few years.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2015, 10:36:36 AM »
The short game is boring and the pins are in easy locations and most good SEC men golfers could win every week out there.

I went to a couple rounds of the event the LPGA had for a couple years at Mount Vintage Plantation, not too far from where I live (and not too far from Augusta for that matter). What was it, maybe 10-15 years ago?

I was mystified by the (lack of) short game on exhibit. Annika Sorenstam didn't seem to mess up as many routine short game shots as some of the other players but she never seemed to hit it close to the hole either. Admittedly I only watched a dozen or so players over two rounds but Cristie Kerr was the best chipper/pitcher/bunker player I observed and there are a few 3-handicappers at my club who could hang with her in a chipping contest.

Many of the players were unable to execute well on even the most routine shots around the green. I remember watching three of them in a row chipping from either the fairway or light rough on one hole, trying to get the ball up past a false front and then judge a good-sized break in the final 20 feet once the ball was up on the proper level. One of them had the ball come back to her feet, another hit a good chip that ran 10+ feet past the hole and the third hit the ball up on the green but totally on the wrong line and ending up miles away from the hole.

Every player on my local NCAA men's team chips those shots inside six feet. Probably one in three would have holed out or left it six inches. Perhaps the LPGA Tour today has better short games on display. Lydia Ko seems handy around the greens. But it's still a mystery to me why shot that require nothing but practice, judgement and touch wouldn't be executed at 100% as high a level by a 10-year LPGA veteran as by a similarly experience man.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2015, 11:18:42 AM »
Brent,

You may enjoy this article about women landscape painters.  I can not think of a statement that does not come off as sexists so will let the article, and the fact that great landscape painting is also dominated by men, speak for itself.  I would think that how one sees a landscape may influence the ability to develop a short game.

http://tinyurl.com/q7culxe

Jason Topp

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2015, 11:53:21 AM »
Can anyone who has played the course speculate on whether or not it would be an exciting venue for a women's event from the member tees?  I suspect it would be a terrific event with the par fives giving a great advantage to the long hitters and the greens giving a great advantage to the best putters. 

MClutterbuck

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2015, 01:52:46 PM »
Jason, I have played the course and I have played with good women, not LPGA pros, but top amateurs. I believe that the existing Member tees with a few Masters tees thrown in would make for a fantastic women´s tournament.

I believe ANGC is a fantastic course for amateur men and would also be for LPGA players (with abilities that fall somewhere inside the range of amateur men). 

I would suggest 3 Master tees be used: 2, 13, 15 to make them into real real 3 shot holes for many of the players. The course would be just over 6500 yards. Probably other people that know a lot more than me about this might suggest differently. 

I think we would see a lot more of the golf that was imagined with the original design.

JJShanley

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2015, 02:02:21 PM »
I would suggest 3 Master tees be used: 2, 13, 15 to make them into real real 3 shot holes for many of the players. The course would be just over 6500 yards. Probably other people that know a lot more than me about this might suggest differently. 

I think we would see a lot more of the golf that was imagined with the original design.

I think you could probably use the Masters tees on 12 and 16 as well.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2015, 02:07:33 PM »
I hope Michael Clayton can chime in, as he has recent first-hand experience of how the female professionals fare on the other great MacKenzie tournament course, Royal Melbourne. I assume he could also compare the women's experience at Royal Melbourne with the men's (either at the President's Cup several years ago, or, less so, at the Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship this past fall). Did Royal Melbourne play more "as it was intended to be play" for the women? If so, we might be able to extrapolate the same results to Augusta National, given that roughly the same design principles were involved in the creation of both.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2015, 02:11:40 PM »

I think you could probably use the Masters tees on 12 and 16 as well.

Holes 3 and 12 really make no difference. As I understand it, members and their guests play the Masters tees at both some days, they are really the same set of tees. Therefore I made no reference to these because 10 yards do not change the shot much.

It is obviously possible to use Master tees on 16, and maybe even 8 for that matter, if officials felt the course would be too easy. But I feel that these changes would really require a much tougher shot(s) than what men have to pull off given their relative distances.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2015, 02:15:41 PM »
I hope Michael Clayton can chime in, as he has recent first-hand experience of how the female professionals fare on the other great MacKenzie tournament course, Royal Melbourne. I assume he could also compare the women's experience at Royal Melbourne with the men's (either at the President's Cup several years ago, or, less so, at the Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship this past fall). Did Royal Melbourne play more "as it was intended to be play" for the women? If so, we might be able to extrapolate the same results to Augusta National, given that roughly the same design principles were involved in the creation of both.

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back