News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

Pete Dye Having a Late-Period Muirhead Moment...no?
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »
From 1993...do you know the course and which hole it is? You might, as this sees many yearly rounds, has hosted professional events and is an apt inclusion given this weekend.

In the end, I've got to say that I don't mind the "occasional encounter" with some genuine, engineered quirk.  Playing some hole like this 2-3 times a season satisfies this department readily.  With 25 bunkers ringing every possible miss, tee-to-green, I think Dye missed an opportunity to put a donut hole in the middle of the green as well, ala #6 at Riviera.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Mark Saltzman

Re: Pete Dye Having a Late-Period Muirhead Moment...no?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »
Brickyard crossing?

Hole 7?

V. Kmetz

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 09:53:03 PM »
Hole 9...this is one of the four (4) inside the Speedway oval, so...quirk doth abound

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:02:44 PM »
V. As I get older, It's more and more apparent Pete has a serious sense of humor.

I think he'd build Haha features if wasn't for our litigious society.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:09:40 PM »

Actually, The Golf Club had a couple of them.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 10:36:23 PM »
I kinda want the give the general design thesis/appearance a Template-style name...

"Freckles" "Dolka Pots" "Measles" or the ironic "Spray"

?

cheers

vk

Ken Fry

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 10:53:19 PM »

V. As I get older, It's more and more apparent Pete has a serious sense of humor.

You mean like building a bunker on a golf course in Lexington, Kentucky shaped like a big "IU"  that can be readily seen flying into the airport??

Ken

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 11:02:14 PM »

You mean like building a bunker on a golf course in Lexington, Kentucky shaped like a big "IU"  that can be readily seen flying into the airport??

Ken

A "HaHa" is a step down you can't see from the high side.  It usually has a wall visible from the low side but not from the high side.  The best example I know is the one all the way across the front of the 33 Georgian town houses that form the Royal Crescent in Bath. It was designed to keep horses and cattle off the lawn in front of the town houses without blocking the splendid view down over the city of Bath.

Gil Hanse's Craighead course at Crail has two HaHas, but you play over them from the low side so the walls are in plain view.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 12:06:33 AM »

Ken

How much did Pete really do at Kearney Hill? I always figured it was more PB's course, but I don't really know.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ken Fry

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 06:38:47 AM »

A "HaHa" is a step down you can't see from the high side.  It usually has a wall visible from the low side but not from the high side.  The best example I know is the one all the way across the front of the 33 Georgian town houses that form the Royal Crescent in Bath. It was designed to keep horses and cattle off the lawn in front of the town houses without blocking the splendid view down over the city of Bath.

Gil Hanse's Craighead course at Crail has two HaHas, but you play over them from the low side so the walls are in plain view.

Bill,

Thanks for the education on this one.  In my little world, I was under the impression it was a "funny HaHa."  Think Joe Pesci in Goodfellas.

Ken

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 08:37:25 AM »
Bill McBride,

Applebrook, the Gil Hanse course outside of Philly has Ha-Ha's incorporated into the hole/s

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 09:52:47 AM »
Bill McBride,

Applebrook, the Gil Hanse course outside of Philly has Ha-Ha's incorporated into the hole/s

Interesting, since he also designed the Craighead course.  Do you play over from high to low or vice versa?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 09:53:59 AM »

Bill,

Thanks for the education on this one.  In my little world, I was under the impression it was a "funny HaHa."  Think Joe Pesci in Goodfellas.

Ken

"Do I amuse you?"   ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 09:56:07 AM »
From 1993...do you know the course and which hole it is? You might, as this sees many yearly rounds, has hosted professional events and is an apt inclusion given this weekend.

In the end, I've got to say that I don't mind the "occasional encounter" with some genuine, engineered quirk.  Playing some hole like this 2-3 times a season satisfies this department readily.  With 25 bunkers ringing every possible miss, tee-to-green, I think Dye missed an opportunity to put a donut hole in the middle of the green as well, ala #6 at Riviera.

cheers

vk

All this time I thought #18 at BPB was the poster child for horribly misplaced bunkers lost in the rough.   Awful. 

Randy Thompson

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
He doesn´t want to be remembered for being repitious! Must be hard coming up with new quirks at hsi age with so many great holes to his credit!  We should all be so fortunate to be faced with such dilemas.
You go Pete, the world is your canvas!
I agree, its a bad hole but the man is a genius, lets give him a break and pick on a golfing professional architect, that is so much more fun!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back