News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Amarnek

Re: Gulph Mills GC: a photo tour and more (all holes up)
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2015, 09:53:37 PM »
Jim,
I played there twice last week and was very impressed with the work of our new superintendent (who was formerly the lead assistant at Aronimink).  The course played firm and fast and the greens were stimping at close to 13, by my estimate.  I'm told there hasn't been much rain in the Delaware Valley recently and that was just fine by me.  Hopefully you had similar conditions for your round.
There have been a number of trees removed recently; the big tree at the rear of #4 green last year, the willow fronting the left pond on #8 this year and the lake along #5 and #6 has also been radically cleaned out recently, leaving a somewhat more open look to the course in places.
I'm pleased you enjoyed your experience over there.
David

Jim Franklin

« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2015, 08:38:24 AM »
David -

The greens were fantastic and fast. The course was firm even though we had an hour rain delay. GM may be the perfect members course. Those greens have such a variety of pin placements that you could nearly never tire playing them.
Mr Hurricane

David Amarnek

« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2016, 06:38:39 PM »
I just returned from our A. J. Drexel Paul Seniors event over this past weekend and saw some early changes to the course following Gil Hanse's Master Plan. Large areas of high fescue are now throughout the course, generally not in play except for considerably wayward shots.  We will soon see significant changes to #7 and 10, the practice range and much lesser changes on most other holes. Joe Bausch will have to make a return visit to document these developments.

BTW, I had a fantastic breakfast at Joncarl Lachman's (Noord, Neuf) The Dutch on South 4th Street.  Highly recommended!!

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2016, 08:08:04 PM »
I just returned from our A. J. Drexel Paul Seniors event over this past weekend and saw some early changes to the course following Gil Hanse's Master Plan. Large areas of high fescue are now throughout the course, generally not in play except for considerably wayward shots.  We will soon see significant changes to #7 and 10, the practice range and much lesser changes on most other holes. Joe Bausch will have to make a return visit to document these developments.

BTW, I had a fantastic breakfast at Joncarl Lachman's (Noord, Neuf) The Dutch on South 4th Street.  Highly recommended!!

Sounds like Gil is keeping busy in the Philly area!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2016, 08:13:44 PM »

Sounds like Gil is keeping busy in the Philly area!

Very much so.   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

David Amarnek

« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2016, 05:10:09 PM »
Joe Bausch,
Just got my copy this week of the Centennial book written by Jeff Silverman with photography by Laurence Lambrecht.
About 400 pages with excellent text and wonderful photos, both new and old.
"A very nice book" is a massive understatement.  I would highly recommend this work to anyone who has any interest in the club.
David

Joe Bausch

« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2016, 08:41:40 PM »
Awesome, David.

I hope to see/have a copy of the book at some point.  ;-)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2016, 09:01:40 PM »
I'm always glad when this thread/subject comes back up.

It reminds me that GM was/is the home club of our old friend TE, and that he must've spent countless hours, almost always alone, walking those fairways and honing his game.

if I'm not mistaken it was at GM where he won the club championship; and when TE called to tell his dad, his father said: "Congratulations, Tommy. They can never take that away from you".

TE must've been one heck of a player in his day.   

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David Amarnek

« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2016, 05:44:28 PM »
Peter,

Indeed he was a heck of a player and an even better friend.  Unfortunately, I was only able to play with Tom for just a few rounds at Pine Valley and he's only accompanied me briefly for some rounds at GM, mostly with my brother.  It was only at the end of his playing career that we became friends.  But boy could he swing a golf club.

The book has quite a bit of information about A. J. Drexel Paul, Tom's father Jimmy Paul and our 6-time club champion and winner of the A. J. Drexel Paul Cup, TEPaul himself.  I'm still early on with my reading, but it's a fascinating account of this wonderful club.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2016, 11:03:25 AM »
Got my copy of the new Gulph Mills book yesterday and it looks to be a winner.  At 400 pages long, it will keep me busy for a while.  And nice icing on the cake is photos by Larry Lambrecht.

And coincidentally I ran into a GM member last night at a local establishment and he is thrilled with the job Jeff Silverman did.  I'm betting he is not the only member that loves it.

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2016, 02:22:50 PM »
It would be great to get some new photos up that show the tree removal work and fescue that has come in in the past three years. The fantastic short par 3 fourth hole plays completely differently now with no trees behind the green. The half wedge to that green with the wind as a real factor is, to steal a term from another recent thread, exhilarating!

Additionally, the tree by the pond on the left side of 8 has come down, which makes pulling driver more tempting (but not necessarily the correct play).

On my last visit, someone mentioned that they might use the lawn in front of the clubhouse as the 1st tee for the upcoming Philly Open.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2016, 03:44:40 PM »
It would be great to get some new photos up that show the tree removal work and fescue that has come in in the past three years. The fantastic short par 3 fourth hole plays completely differently now with no trees behind the green. The half wedge to that green with the wind as a real factor is, to steal a term from another recent thread, exhilarating!

Additionally, the tree by the pond on the left side of 8 has come down, which makes pulling driver more tempting (but not necessarily the correct play).

On my last visit, someone mentioned that they might use the lawn in front of the clubhouse as the 1st tee for the upcoming Philly Open.

John:

Here's a very recent look at the par-3 4th, without the trees:

And the 8th, with the tree on the left removed:

Any other holes that you (or others) would like to see? The course is gorgeous right now, and in impeccable condition. It's a wonderful place for a game.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2016, 06:47:31 PM »
Thanks for the great photos, Jon. It was playing firm and fast this summer.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2016, 08:42:40 PM »
Do you ever re-read something you've helped create and been very proud of it?  I just did and think this thread is an all-timer for the discussion of a wonderful, architecturally fascinating golf course.

David Amarnek

« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2016, 09:16:47 AM »
John Cavalier,
Excellent photos.  I especially liked the one taken from the 8th tee.
Some may enjoy any recent pictures you may have of #5 and 6 with the tree removal and clearing of the vegetation in the lake.

Matt Rogers has been doing a great job as superintendent following his stints at Aronimink and Saucon Valley.  Still waiting to see how #10 and 7 turn out following Gil Hanse's Master Plan!!

I Unfortunately was unable to make the AJDP Cup last week, but I'm sure it was in wonderful shape.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2016, 08:09:35 PM »
John Cavalier,
Excellent photos.  I especially liked the one taken from the 8th tee.
Some may enjoy any recent pictures you may have of #5 and 6 with the tree removal and clearing of the vegetation in the lake.

Matt Rogers has been doing a great job as superintendent following his stints at Aronimink and Saucon Valley.  Still waiting to see how #10 and 7 turn out following Gil Hanse's Master Plan!!

I Unfortunately was unable to make the AJDP Cup last week, but I'm sure it was in wonderful shape.

Thanks, David.

Here's the 5th:

And the 6th:

Joe: thanks for starting this terrific thread on one of the best courses in the Philly area.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Joe Bausch

« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »
Today I fixed all the broken URLs (my school web server location changed) and this awesome thread is back and better than ever!

David Amarnek

« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »
Joe,
Thanks for bringing this topic back to the front page.
I’m curious to know if you’ve had a chance to see/photograph our new 7th hole.  Additionally, I’d be interested in hearing the opinions of those that have played there recently.  FWIW, I quite like the changes.

David

Joe Bausch

« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2019, 12:47:41 PM »
Joe,
Thanks for bringing this topic back to the front page.
I’m curious to know if you’ve had a chance to see/photograph our new 7th hole.  Additionally, I’d be interested in hearing the opinions of those that have played there recently.  FWIW, I quite like the changes.

David

Not been out to see the changes, David.  Hope all is well in the show me state!

JESII

« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2019, 02:33:22 PM »
How has that willow tree behind #6 survived in this age of the chainsaw?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2019, 03:21:06 PM »
How has that willow tree behind #6 survived in this age of the chainsaw?

Pretty certain both of those willow trees behind the 6th green are now in the big tree heaven in the sky.

Joe Bausch

Re: Gulph Mills GC: a photo tour and more (broken links fixed now!)
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2020, 07:53:04 PM »
In these current times (all non-essential businesses in the state of PA are now ordered closed), I thought I would bump this wonderful thread.  Ignore the few posts near the beginning.  No harm was done there!

JMEvensky

« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2020, 08:11:38 PM »

In these current times (all non-essential businesses in the state of PA are now ordered closed), I thought I would bump this wonderful thread.  Ignore the few posts near the beginning.  No harm was done there!

Any thread which brings back The Lurker is a thread worth re-reading.

MCirba

« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2020, 12:39:40 PM »
David Amarnek,
Could you describe the changes to the 7th hole?   I recall The Lurker had some ideas that Gil (partially?) implemented back about 15 or so years ago that received some mixed reviews but I'm not recalling the details well.   Thanks!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back