News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: 1000 Words Cannot Do Justice--Unique Looks at Pebble Beach
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »
I just realized right now that Peter H, whom I just played with last weekend on a visit to Spokane, was the guy who wrote this thread.

Damn I would have loved to discuss it with him, but alas we were too busy playing golf!!

Dan Kelly

Re:1000 Words Cannot Do Justice--Unique Looks at Pebble Beach
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »
if anyone can come up with a weirder playing parnter I would love to hear it!
The rabbit probably has my candidate beat, but last Saturday Dan Kelly and I played as a team in a 27-hole even in the same foursome with another two-man team. One of the guys stood over his ball for about 15 seconds before taking the club back -- and he was the normal one.

The other guy wore a stocking cap over his baseball cap, with a chin that jutted out and a nose that jutted out almost as far, making him look like Ichabod Crane. People can't help how they look, but they can help how they act. This guy said the same thing every time a putt with any break was missed -- usually by Dan or me: "Read and speed. Read and speed." After the 10th or 15th time, I wanted to stuff a headcover in his mouth. He really became annoying any time I made a putt that caught a side of the hole and circled the cup on its way to the bottom: "Oooooohhh! A real flusher! An all-around good putt!"

He was never ready to hit when it was his turn, acting as though he was in his own world, when in fact we were in the middle of an event and rapidly losing sight of the group ahead of us. I kept hurrying to the next tee and hitting out of turn to get us going, but we lost contact with the group ahead of us for good after the 14th hole when the guy went into the crapper and took about 15 minutes to reappear. Then, when our first 18 holes was completed, he and his partner sat down to lunch in the clubhouse, while Dan and I waited for them on the first tee of the par 3 course.

While I was on the 8th tee preparing to hit my drive, I heard crashing and stomping in the weeds behind me. Wanting to get it over with, I went ahead and hit the shot (terribly), then turned around to see our buddy thrashing through the weeds next to the tee to take a leak.

We ultimately finished 4 holes behind the group in front of us.

The weirdest thing about this guy is that we had been partnered together in this very same event three years ago. He had absolutely no idea who I was.

But the rabbit, I concede, is even weirder. I wish we'd had him, instead.

Those were the days.

What a thread! What a Website! What a civilization!

BTW: What's the No. 1 "result" of a Google search for "Pee Wee the rabbit"? This thread! We're all famous now!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 05:30:07 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Carl Johnson

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Peter, Anyone optioned the movie rights yet?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2011, 01:37:22 PM »
Peter, Anyone optioned the movie rights yet?

Mel Gibson could play the rabbit!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2012, 09:45:38 PM »
Simply the best thread ever.  I was even sharing it with my daughter who is 6.  She asked me, why did he bring his rabbit to the golf course?

I responded, pee wee wanted to see pebble beach!

Chris

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2012, 10:35:30 PM »
Golf transcend normality.  What non-golfers might consider odd, strange, delusional, hokey, or just plum crazy we find amusing, captivating, and even enlightening. 

In my twilight I hope to find myself in the company of those who would risk embarrassment or social exile to allow me one last trip around Pebble as that little white rabbit did.  I think we all might agree that after reading this story there is now a little Pee Wee in all of us....wait...that didn't come out right.....you know what I mean.

Rumor has it that if you look closely enough at the Pebble Beach logo you can see a silhouette of a rabbit...

Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

scott_wood

one of GCA's Top Ten posts, .....retold this past weekend after 9 years!
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2014, 09:30:44 AM »
a wonderful post, on many different levels.....IT'S WORTH READING TO THE END..
and Kudo's to Peter Herreid for great writing and timing........

several GCA posters and lurkers were spending 3 days in chilly mid fl this past weekend,
and at some point Sat eve, after several bottles of very nice red (corkage only $15..  ;))
Dan Taylor, an actual participant in this heartrending tale, regaled our group, with a shorter, though excellant, verbal synopsis...

Dan started, "How could you forget...."
sadly, some of us had.....

Howard Riefs

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2015, 11:04:21 AM »
A bump in honor of the PGA Tour's visit to Pebble Beach this week.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Josh Bills

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2015, 11:37:48 AM »
Brings back fond memories of Finn and his rabbit in the Sandhills of Nebraska from this past summer at the 5th Major...

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:21:14 AM by Josh Bills »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2019, 11:46:46 PM »
Bump.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

John Mayhugh

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »
I've enjoyed reading through this thread again, but also bittersweet to see comments from Bob Huntley, Scott Wood, & Tiger Bernhardt. Man, I wish they were still with us.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2019, 04:04:44 PM »
I've enjoyed reading through this thread again, but also bittersweet to see comments from Bob Huntley, Scott Wood, & Tiger Bernhardt. Man, I wish they were still with us.

Where, THE HELL, did fourteen years go?
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2019, 04:56:11 PM »
Where, THE HELL, did fourteen years go?
F.

I made a double-eagle at the 2nd hole of Pebble a few years back--I would have told you 8 or so years ago.  A good friend gave me a clock to commemorate the shot.  The clock had a nice plaque on it.  The other day I happened to glance at the clock sitting on my desk and read the inscription for the first time in a while.  The double eagle was in 1992! 
For an hour I sat at my desk asking myself where 25+ years had gone!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:59:10 PM by Jim Hoak »

DFarron

« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2019, 07:43:11 PM »
My favorite place on earth !😄

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2019, 08:22:39 PM »
I got yelled at by ANOTHER old GCA friend today. It was not Peter.

I follow Peter on Facebook, but that is not the same when it is 2+ billion people. I had some really really fun times with Peter. Life moves on, but it is US Open week at Pebble Beach and Peter's thread deserves a pull-up.

Tiger is dead, Scott is dead. It's golf and we should enjoy the US Open at Pebble Beach!

Slainte (sorry Jeff, I love Ireland!!)

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Matthew Rose

« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2019, 11:06:54 PM »
Maybe it was a "comfort" animal. Like those people who try to take peacocks and squirrels on planes with them. I guess there are far worse places for a rabbit than a golf course, though. The Toy Story thing reminds me of a movie my wife watched one night in which Ryan Gosling was in love with a blow up doll. Oh well, who am I to judge?

I played golf on a vacation a very long time ago; I can't even remember where it was but there was a guy playing bagpipes. It wasn't Scotland and it wasn't anywhere that remotely resembled Scotland. I remember my dad went up to the dude and talked to him, and he said "I just felt moved by the landscape to come out and play".

For a pleb like myself, Pebble is still something of a bucket list item. I didn't feel moved to do anything particularly eccentric, but I was sufficiently moved by the entire experience, especially since it was just a couple of weeks before my 40th birthday.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2020, 09:34:54 PM »
Bump
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Dan Kelly

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2020, 05:14:39 PM »
This might be just what the doctor ordered. I hope you are all well — and well-spaced.

Walked around a lake in Minneapolis this afternoon. A woman was putting messages in chalk on the path. My favorite: “6 feet apart. Or 6 feet under.”
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back