News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Applebrook, Malvern, Pa.
« on: September 25, 2023, 12:09:19 PM »
 8)

As a Jersey Shore guy it's hard for me to leave here until after September but last week 7 or us took a ride up to Applebrook in Malvern Pa., home of that now famous architect Gil Hanse. We were graciously hosted by our friend Gary Daniels , a very good senior golfer, and had quite a time. Gary was involved closely in the development of Applebrook, which I believe was Gil's second new golf course project , the first being Inniscrone.

Applebrook is superb , routed thru some rolling farmland that has plenty of fall and seems like it has been there forever (opened 2001).  The whole facility is just a haven for golfers. With great practice amenities , a rustic clubhouse and staff that makes you feel welcome from the time of arrival to departure. Just a wonderful golf day was had by all the group. The course has memorable holes but doesn't play super hard and I loved how the ball ran out even after a heavy rain the day before.

I can remember all the holes after the first go round, which speaks to the quality of the design. Just a really fun, solid golf course one you would be proud to call your home course and challenging without being a brute distance wise . As always I'm hoping some of you guys who have played it chime in on Applebrook. It won't be twenty years til I return for sure

mike_malone

Re: Applebrook, Malvern, Pa.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 03:24:40 PM »
I have always thought that Hanse recognized the stiff competition in Philly and wanted to build a fun course with great variety that would be different than other nearby courses. In my mind he succeeded.
AKA Mayday

Mike Worth

Re: Applebrook, Malvern, Pa. New
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 04:23:46 PM »
I’ve played Applebrook a dozen times or so, although not in the last 10+ yrs.

As a long time Hidden Creek member, I always felt the courses were comparable, even if they are on different topography.

Fun, member-oriented golf courses. My favorite hole is #8 a double dog leg par 5 with a multitude of playing options and corridors.

Applebrook would be his third design. Crail - Craighead was open 2 years earlier than Applebrook.  Also, Tallgrass (NLE) on Long Island may have slightly pre-dated Applebrook.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 04:41:01 PM by Mike Worth »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back