News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Courses that don't fit your eye or game
« on: May 12, 2013, 04:26:28 PM »
The TPC at Sawgrass was definitely one of those courses that neither fit my eye, brain or game. What courses don't fit yours? I mention a few others:

Carnoustie
Muirfield
The Medalist
TPC Sawgrass
TPC in Palm Springs
The Bridge
Oakmont
Medinah #3
Long Cove
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Courses that don't fit your eye or game
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 05:54:39 PM »
Cary,

I used to have a fitful time with Adios, but, repeat play has made me more at ease.

Green Brook is another difficult course for me.

I think that tee alignment may have something to do with my discomfort on certain courses.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 07:32:17 PM »
Shinnecock and Riviera come to mind.

It's something I've admired about the pro game especially Tiger and his ability to play almost any type of golf course.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »
Several years ago I was playing a course in St. Petersburg that typifies "Florida golf."  Lots of water, a few mounds thrown in, and virtually no elevation change.

A fellow in my group topped shot after shot, hit several cold shanks, and hit a number of approaches fat and short.  His putting was astoundingly unpredictable; some raced by the hole while others didn't make it halfway there.  He lost at least a dozen balls (and maybe closer to 20).

On the 16th hole, he said "This course just doesn't suit my game."

I've always wondered what course would.

WW

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »
Wade

That was very funny, lol
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »
Kirtland outside of Cleveland...

Play there about once a year and I just can't seem to get comfortable with any of the tee shots on the course....especially the 10th which plays dramatically downhill.  I get a case of temporary vertigo in the middle of my backswing.

Beautiful course though. 
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »
My home course doesn't fit my game, it's a course that favors a cut off the tee and is very penal for the hook. It's actually a good test knowing that the course you go to everyday doesn't set up well for you off the tee. Makes you really hit a lot of different shots you wouldn't normally hit.

BHoover

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 10:25:21 PM »
Any course that requires both accuracy off the tee and touch on the greens to score well doesn't seem to fit my game. That's not a good combination, unfortunately. Also, any course that calls for a fade is definitely not my friend. Muirfield Village comes to mind.

When I played high school golf, one of our rivals played at a course in Hartville, Ohio called Seven Hills. For some reason, I could never manage a decent score there. Rather than blaming the course, I probably just wasn't very good whenever I played it.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:31:20 PM by Brian Hoover »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 08:49:24 PM »
Cary,

I recently played a course that didn't fit my eye, ear, nose or throat.

If I never play it again, I'd be happy.

Played it with three other fellows and told them that I was going to buy them each a membership on one condition.

The condition................that they never invite me to be their guest.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 12:04:56 PM »
Any course with a preponderance of left-to-right looks off the tee doesn't suit me well, since I work the ball off the tee right-to-left almost exclusively. One course we played in college a few times where this was the case was Cardinal CC in Greensboro (now the Pete Dye Course at Sedgefield CC, apparently). Holes 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 17 and 18 all are more comfortable if you hit it left-to-right and I spent many uncomfortable shots over those holes in my career. I always liked the golf course, though.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 02:38:29 PM »
My home course doesn't fit my game, it's a course that favors a cut off the tee and is very penal for the hook. It's actually a good test knowing that the course you go to everyday doesn't set up well for you off the tee. Makes you really hit a lot of different shots you wouldn't normally hit.
+1

I find it easier to score on some Open Championship courses than my home course, for the same reasons.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ken Moum

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 06:19:50 PM »
Any course with a preponderance of left-to-right looks off the tee doesn't suit me well, since I work the ball off the tee right-to-left almost exclusively. One course we played in college a few times where this was the case was Cardinal CC in Greensboro (now the Pete Dye Course at Sedgefield CC, apparently). Holes 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 17 and 18 all are more comfortable if you hit it left-to-right and I spent many uncomfortable shots over those holes in my career. I always liked the golf course, though.

We have a couple of courses here in Topeka that do that to me.  I play with a friend whose bread-and-butter is a pretty big cut off the tee.  On our home course he rarely scores better than me, on those two he nearly always does better than me.  On one he has beaten his handicap by 8-9 shots a couple of times in tournaments--fortunately I was his partner on one of those.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 06:30:41 PM »
The TPC at Sawgrass was definitely one of those courses that neither fit my eye, brain or game. What courses don't fit yours? I mention a few others:

Carnoustie
Muirfield
The Medalist
TPC Sawgrass
TPC in Palm Springs
The Bridge
Oakmont
Medinah #3
Long Cove

We played LCC together with your wife. Cant remember how you scored.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

CJ Carder

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:49 PM »
Strangely enough, I can't play Royal New Kent worth a crap.  I say strangely, because every other Strantz course I've played, I played well.

Stonehouse - usually shoot some of my best rounds there
True Blue - loved it, shot like 77 there the day I played it, with a birdie on 17
Caledonia - didn't play very well, but loved it and would play it again in a heartbeat
Tobacco Road - have played quite well there the 3 times I've been

But for whatever reason, I can be playing really good golf and still shoot 5-7 shots higher than my normal scores at Royal New Kent.  I get some of the worst bounces in the world there.  I also think it has something to do with the playing corridors.  I don't know that RNK is as wide in the hitting areas as some of Strantz's other work.  For example, you have all the room in the world on #2, but if you're too far left, it'll be next to impossible to have anything less than an 8 iron into the green because you'll have to play around the horseshoe.  So the effective landing area is much smaller than it looks.  I don't think the angles are as important at courses like Stonehouse or Tobacco Road.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back