News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Dunes at Seville Closing
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:31:14 PM »
I just heard (and confirmed) that the Dunes at Seville is closing.  They hope to reopen in the fall (though that scenario seems unlikely to me).

Anyone know details?  I'm sure they just couldn't ride the supply and demand for golf courses in Hernando County, FL.

Too bad, because I really thought it was a fine layout.

WW

Eric Strulowitz

Re: Dunes at Seville Closing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:17:33 PM »
That is a real bummer, because it was a great layout, played it a few years back and really enjoyed it.  Going back down that way next month, it was on the list to see how it has evolved since.

There are many many golf courses in that area.  A friend of mine who is retired lives not to far from the Dunes, and he tells me that area overall is still quite economically distressed.  Really sorry to hear about this closing!

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:53:08 PM »
I hope someone is able to save it. The golf course is really really good.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 12:18:34 AM »
I hope someone is able to save it. The golf course is really really good.

Lots of fairway bunkers!   ;)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 01:25:29 AM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 07:27:13 AM »
I'm not much of a fan of anything in Florida, but I liked this course.
If there was ever a property where I thought I could hit a home run with a rebuild this was the one.
-

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 09:54:22 AM »
Sad to hear this. I had planned to do a 36 hole day a couple years ago there and World Woods Pine Barrens. Unfortunately, I hurt my wrist on my approach shot to 18 at P.B. and had to call it a day. Wish I had at least went over and toured the property. I had already played Rolling Oaks on my previous trip to World Woods.

I do remember the pro saying the tee sheet was wide open at The Dunes when I wanted to play that afternoon.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »
I guess the big question here is if they really are planning on reopening in the Fall, how much maintenance are they going to do the course over the summer?  Those Florida summers can do a number to a golf course if the grass isn't cut and the expense to get it back would be more than it would have been to keep it open. 

It's a shame because The Dunes is a very good golf course. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:23:55 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 01:39:56 PM »
I read an article recently that predicted 20% of golf courses will close within 5 years. 

It's the sign of the times.

J Cabarcos

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 06:10:54 PM »
I think Jeff Brauer "Smell of Death" comment had some forethought in an earlier thread I started here:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54577.0.html

Its such a damn shame that a golf course with impeccable bones and varied terrain goes under and that year after year mediocre courses continue dot our landscape.  I guess it boils down to location.  Hernando County, FLA is not a big enough remote golf destination spot to support courses besides World Woods.  As the Dunes situation demonstrates, if the bulk of your golfing crowd are modest income retirees, your simply not going to cut it. 

Maybe it is time to cue those Japanese investors that own WW to expand.  Maybe it is time for Arthur Hills to reconsider purchasing the Dunes w some other investors which will supply it with a much needed golf media hype blitz like Streamsong got.

Whichever way, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can one day soon go back to enjoy a round at the Dunes.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 03:08:19 AM »
This course first received notice and attention when John Strawn had a side chapter in his book, "Driving the Green" about the construction crew that worked on Iron Horse (the main subject of the book) diverting to build this course Dunes of Seville, with Mike Dasher.  Even then, Strawn took critical note to praise this course as very good design, but even then wondered if it would make it in that sparse market demographic at that time. 

But, looking at streetview google maps, it isn't as if this area hasn't been built up since the early 90s.  And, the Villages isn't that far away.  I have several friends that moved to The Villages and that area lately, and they are all about good golf deals.  I can't figure out why this place don't make it.  Is the following passage from Joe Busch's 2010 thread a factor... that the current owner overpaid at the peak of the mid 2000s boom?

Quote from: Paul Thomas on March 11, 2010, 01:29:34 PM
Dunes looks pretty good...new owner?  wasnt the course quite poorly maintained not long ago?

Paul, I do think the Dunes has a relatively new owner.  I thought I heard someone bought it towards the high of the real estate market a few years back for a large sum of money.

It seems like a real waste if it can't remain a golf facility serving the value seekers market.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 05:31:16 AM »
I read an article recently that predicted 20% of golf courses will close within 5 years. 

It's the sign of the times.

Joel,

20% of golf courses where? Seville, Florida, USA,....... Funnily enough, I listened to a piece that predicted that mankind would become extinct in the next 100 years.

The crap that is about. It's the sign of the times eh ;)

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back