News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Day

Re: Is Augusta National good for the game?
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2013, 07:39:56 PM »
we are a long way from Augusta, but Masters weekend is always one of the busiest for golf rounds and punters on the driving range. It seems to get the attention of a % of non-golfers who want to come and check out their local council golf course

jeffwarne

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2013, 08:06:36 PM »
Here's the deal. If the Augusta membership is not inspiring their caddies to become business leaders like we hear so often about caddies at other clubs, then there is insidious racism there of the worst kind.

Racism against the white caddies?
Are you accusing Ron Townsend, Lynn Swan, and Condoleeza Rice of racism for not inspiring the white caddies to become business leaders?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Garland Bayley

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2013, 08:20:29 PM »
I found an article on line about Carl Jackson. Ben Stephens took him under his wing and helped him along his way as a caddy at ANGC. He eventually took him to Little Rock where under his tutelage Carl's son became, guess what, a caddy.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jeffwarne

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2013, 08:36:29 PM »
Stephens encouraged Carl Jackson to get his high school degree, because Jackson had dropped out of school in the ninth grade.
What an insidious plot.
So will Condeleeza help the white caddies become CEO's and future Secretaries of State?
Because if she doesn't won't she be racest?

I know several white caddies there. They have been caddying there for years now and are not business leaders.
Lynn Swan and Ron Townsend must be racist for not elevating them to whatever occupation you seem to think is appropriate
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:19:48 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Garland Bayley

« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2013, 01:09:40 AM »
Stephens encouraged Carl Jackson to get his high school degree. Jackson dropped out of school in the ninth grade.
What an insidious plot.
So will Condeleeza help the white caddies become CEO's and future Secretaries of State?
Because if she doesn't won't she be racest?

I know several white caddies there. They have been caddying there for years now and are not business leaders.
Lynn Swan and Ron Townsend must be racist for not elevating them to whatever occupation you seem to think is appropriate

Do you even know how to read and comprehend the English language and conditional statements?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Alister Matheson

« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2013, 03:20:02 AM »
For sure it's fantastic for the game as it brings a high percentage of golfers  out from there winter hibernation ,with a renewed zest for the old game !
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Anthony Butler

« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2013, 05:03:22 AM »

I especially like the technology put into the tournament and allowing people to view it from the internet, phones, slate devices, etc...  

Anyone care to guess the percentage of US Internet traffic the Masters Web Site and Apps will generate in the next 4 days?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:50:29 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2013, 06:41:38 AM »
I've expressed my general opinions on this subject earlier - and been slagged off for having them!! - but I must say how much I enjoyed the Par-3 event.

Okay it's not that serious, and there's too much media chat and daft questions to the players and caddies etc, but it was great to see so many previous generation players again, the likes of Al Geiberger, Vinny Giles, Wayne Grady and all those guys, although I'm not sure I go along with caddies and kids playing shots.

I wish the other majors had something similar either prior to the event or maybe even a past champions 5-6 hole event on the Sat or Sun morning after the cut has been made. St Andrews did this a few years ago and it was great, and I think they tried to hold it a second time but the weather intervened, as it was terrific to see Sam Sneed and Roberto di Vincenzo and guys like that playing again.

All the best

jeffwarne

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »
I found an article on line about Carl Jackson. Ben Stephens took him under his wing and helped him along his way as a caddy at ANGC. He eventually took him to Little Rock where under his tutelage Carl's son became, guess what, a caddy.

That doesn't sound like a conditional statement.
Sounds more to me like a judgement.
But perhaps it's my English comprehension.

FYI Carl Jackson is a fine man and I had the priveledge of working with him at Atlantic.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. The thread title is ANGC good for the game.
I'd say yes.

Is everything they've ever done perfect, looking back with hindsight through history?
Well no, but then we'd have to discount every accomplishment of every President of the US prior to Lincoln who presided through, encouraged, or at least tolerated slavery,when, if we apply the same revisionist hindsight, they could've simply drawn up their own Emancipation Proclamation.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:20:23 AM by jeffwarne »

Tim Pitner

« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2013, 11:10:02 AM »
Changing gears, my one complaint regarding the Masters concerns its presentation on TV.  I certainly appreciate the limited commercials, but the emphasis on golf as some sort of garden party, highlighting the flowers (the close-up into the flowers as a fade-out is unforgiveable), the (fake?) bird chirping, the grandmother's parlor music and Jim Nantz's schmaltziness, is annoying.  Last I checked, it's a sporting event.  Of course, this may be more CBS's fault than Augusta National's, but I know the club is very involved when it comes to how the event is presented.

What's the harm other than to my sanity?  I think it (i.e., the TV presentation of the Masters) deemphasizes the sporting, even sometimes rugged (especially when thinking of links golf), aspect of golf.  It presents golf as essentially a lawn game, which does have an impact on how people believe a golf course should look. 

Lou_Duran

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »
Egalitarianism.  For those who believe that social justice demands relatively equal outcomes, ANGC is the epitome of everything that's wrong with the world. 

Having experienced first-hand the type of egalitarianism and "justice" that the Left has in store for us, I look at ANGC and its members with great admiration.  We have a week every year to see what can be.  It is a mostly impossible standard, but anyone who knows a bit about human behavior understands that reaching for the stars is far more satisfying than settling for mediocrity.  Even when we try and fall on our asses, we tend to accomplish more and feel better about ourselves.  Perhaps if we focused less on what others seem to have, we might be in a better place to positively impact our own lives and those of whom we considered to be less fortunate.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2013, 12:02:09 PM »
If you must judge, do you do so on the club's history, or the progress they've made?  I vote for the latter, as once upon a time I was a racist too.  By the Grace of God, I changed.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brent Hutto

« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2013, 12:49:25 PM »
Changing gears, my one complaint regarding the Masters concerns its presentation on TV.  I certainly appreciate the limited commercials, but the emphasis on golf as some sort of garden party, highlighting the flowers (the close-up into the flowers as a fade-out is unforgiveable), the (fake?) bird chirping, the grandmother's parlor music and Jim Nantz's schmaltziness, is annoying.  Last I checked, it's a sporting event.  Of course, this may be more CBS's fault than Augusta National's, but I know the club is very involved when it comes to how the event is presented.

What's the harm other than to my sanity?  I think it (i.e., the TV presentation of the Masters) deemphasizes the sporting, even sometimes rugged (especially when thinking of links golf), aspect of golf.  It presents golf as essentially a lawn game, which does have an impact on how people believe a golf course should look. 

If by "sporting event" you mean anything remotely like Ryder Cup hoo-rah crap or drunk frat-boys hootin' and hollerin' in Arizona then thank goodness for the Masters.

The schmaltz factor is reduced to a negligible level by simply turning the volume on your TV all the way down. Any event that includes a Jim Nantz "Hello, friends" requires muting but for the Masters he takes it to a whole new level.

I just wish they had a second audio channel that let you hear the distant roars and groans of the crowd without the music and the announcers.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »

That doesn't sound like a conditional statement.

The first statement you responded to was a conditional statement.

Sounds more to me like a judgement.

The statement above was simply a fact.

But perhaps it's my English comprehension.

If you have to depend on me to help you with your English comprehension, you're in big trouble. ;D

Tim Pitner

« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »

If by "sporting event" you mean anything remotely like Ryder Cup hoo-rah crap or drunk frat-boys hootin' and hollerin' in Arizona then thank goodness for the Masters.

No, that's not I meant.  The TV presentation of the Masters is too precious.  There has to be a way to honor the history and uniqueness of the event without going overboard on the sappy stuff. 

Jason Thurman

« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
I don't know Tim. I like the sappy stuff in spite of generally being a cynical jerk about everything. There's something pleasantly pretentious about The Masters for me. I always find myself watching and reminding myself that, at the end of the day, it's just a tournament on a golf course. It sure feels like more. There can't be a course in the world with more mystique surrounding it, and maybe not a single sporting event that matches The Masters in that category either.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2013, 03:42:02 PM »
I don't know Tim. I like the sappy stuff in spite of generally being a cynical jerk about everything. There's something pleasantly pretentious about The Masters for me. I always find myself watching and reminding myself that, at the end of the day, it's just a tournament on a golf course. It sure feels like more. There can't be a course in the world with more mystique surrounding it, and maybe not a single sporting event that matches The Masters in that category either.

To each their own, Jason. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2013, 04:53:59 AM »
Anyone changed their opinion given the events of the last day or so?

All the best.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2013, 07:42:05 AM »
Another reason I thing ANGC is good for the game. Their embrace of technology
1.  Great website
2.  Streaming HD video before TV coverage begins
3.  Masters radio
4.  Up to SEVEN channels of coverage on at a time.  Chaannel list:
     - Network
     - Amen Corner
     - Hole 15/16
     - 3D Coverage (my favorite)
    - Masters on the Range
     - Masters in Depth
     - Featured Group 1
     - Featured Group 2

BHoover

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2013, 07:48:12 AM »
Another reason I thing ANGC is good for the game. Their embrace of technology
1.  Great website
2.  Streaming HD video before TV coverage begins
3.  Masters radio
4.  Up to SEVEN channels of coverage on at a time.  Chaannel list:
     - Network
     - Amen Corner
     - Hole 15/16
     - 3D Coverage (my favorite)
    - Masters on the Range
     - Masters in Depth
     - Featured Group 1
     - Featured Group 2

+1. But I wish they would allow more tv coverage. It strikes me as odd that they embrace technology and offer such extensive Internet coverage, but they still limit tv coverage. Of course I understand why they do it from a marketing standpoint--it only makes people like us talk about how we want more.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2013, 07:51:09 AM »
Brian - it's on TV in my house - I hooked up an HDMI cable from my PC to my big TV, and voila - HD internet coverage.

(of course, it helps to have good internet service - I have FiOS 50/25)

BHoover

« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2013, 07:53:56 AM »
Good Internet service is something which I do not enjoy. But that's a great idea.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back