News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

Wilshire Country Club bunkering....
« on: April 11, 2013, 03:52:36 PM »
I played there last year for the first time, and there was quite a bit of talk about the new bunkers. Also heard that they were going to make some changes to them.

Can anyone chime in with what was done to the bunkers? They was some pretty severe "fingering" in the bunkers that, due to their size, made the bunkers very, very penal to be in. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I heard some of the members complained and that changes were coming.

Anyone?

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Wilshire Country Club bunkering....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 06:51:23 PM »
David,

Members always complain, so hearing the phrase, "member complaints" tends to fall on deaf ears with me.

To a good degree, Wilshire is land locked.  Not much ability to add length, hence, bunkers are a vital part of the defenses that the course presents.

I found the bunkers difficult but appropriate given the totality of the architecture.

Wilshire is the type of course you can play every day and enjoy the challenge

Ryan McLaughlin

Re: Wilshire Country Club bunkering....
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »
I haven't played Wilshire since they re did the course but I think it is part of a bigger trend.  I worked at Oakmont (Glendale) for many years and they redid the whole layout including bunkers and greens.   HUGE improvement IMO.  LA did it.  I believe Lakeside did it.  Riv did it.  I think there is a keeping up with the Joneses aspect at play....I feel sorry for the members who are assessed the fee but for those of us who appreciate the architectural aspects it is a good thing. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back