News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Re: Gil Hanse Press Release
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2012, 10:26:25 PM »
Crazy exciting that an "architect" not a "pro" won the competition....

RTJII said the same thing in so many words:

Robert Trent Jones II felt mixed emotions, saying in a telephone interview, "Like any sportsman who gets to compete at the Olympic level, it was clearly worth the effort. My feelings are mixed between the personal disappointment of not being selected but also happiness that a true golf architect was selected.”

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/nicklaus-comments-on-hanses-winning-design/

Perhaps RTJII is tired of losing projects to Nicklaus, Norman, Player, etc.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JC Urbina

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2012, 11:52:05 PM »
Ron Whitten had some very choice words about Gil on the Golf Channel.  A nice quick interview.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2012, 11:52:42 PM »
Ron Whitten had some very choice words about Gil on the Golf Channel.  A nice quick interview.

Choice in a good way or bad way?

JC Urbina

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 11:58:37 PM »
Very Good

Said Gil was one of the hottest designers going right now.  Mentioned Castle Stuart, The Blue Monster and just being hired by Trump. A  few words on LACC and his work at TPC Boston and Boston Golf Club.  Mentioned a few other places I can't recall right now

Brad Klein

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2012, 09:36:17 AM »
I've been involved in the golf business part time since 1981, basically full time since about 1992. As I just wrote to George Bahto, who shares some of my "second career" vocational trajectory, I can't think of a day when I have been prouder of associates and friends  and colleagues in the business whom I get to write about. Yesterday was just an amazing experience, a vindication for much of what many of us have been working on, and most importantly, a day to feel great for Gil and Jim Wagner and his whole team because the global golf industry now has a better sense than ever of what's possible in the game.

It's the culmination (though the beginning, not the end) of so much that Doak and Coore & Crenshaw and Mike Keiser and Bahto and Geoff Shackleford and Tommy Naccarato and Mike Davis and Lorne Rubenstein and Jeff Mingay and so many others have been thinking about and working on for decades.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:37:52 AM by Brad Klein »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »
Read some of the readers comments below that article on JN offering congrats.  One said he had never played a "Gil Hodges" course.  Not sure if it was tongue in cheek or not, but Gil Hanse is forever more a household name among anyone with an interest in golf or golf architecture.

I liked RTJII comments about a "real architect" getting it.  LOL, I agree, but if in the same situation, probably would have been a bit more diplomatic, esp. given that JN is an ASGCA member, too.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

PThomas

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »
Wow,

I am totally impressed with the selection, when asked I had picked the Jack Nicklaus group because of his Iconic name and the number of courses he has done world wide.

i too thought they would go with a 'big name' like Jack or Greg..congrats Gil

and Ian's about aboutn sustainability is spot on

it will be interesting to see the long term ramifications, if any, from this selection and /or the course
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 06:10:56 PM »
Congratulations to Gil,Ian and Tommy. Wow!!!

Mike_Young

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »

I liked RTJII comments about a "real architect" getting it.  LOL, I agree, but if in the same situation, probably would have been a bit more diplomatic, esp. given that JN is an ASGCA member, too.

Jeff Jeff Jeff,
Are you saying that if JN was not a member of ASGCA it would have been an acceptable comment.   ;) ;)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »
Brad - thanks for post 55.  Warms the soul :)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2012, 08:28:37 PM »

Jeff Jeff Jeff,
Are you saying that if JN was not a member of ASGCA it would have been an acceptable comment.   ;) ;)

I hear you can become a member even if you just worked on a project.

Anthony

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2012, 07:06:38 AM »
Congrats to Gil, Jim, Ian,Tomy and the entire GCA posse! While golf was certainly the winner, let's also tip our hats to the Olympic Committee that made a superb call on what was a difficult choice given the caliber of the participants.
As Rio 2016 is on my docket, I look forward to getting a first hand look at Gil and Co.'s course and hope the presentation is all it should be.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Carl Rogers

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »
From thier website....the winning routing!!

Complete with a 3 hole warmup course it looks like too...thats neat.

#16 looks like it could be a tribute hole to Riviera #10

I hope Mr. Hanse will at some point make an appearance to discuss the his routing.  The question I have is the location of the practice holes that seem to be on the optimal property.  or may be not???  Was the location of the practice range a given?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Kalen Braley

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2012, 01:35:38 PM »
Carl,

Why is that optimal?  I'd much rather have it there near the buildings and noisy street and put the course over near the water and the lot next door that is quieter upper end burbs....which appears to be exactly what Gil did.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:38:11 PM by Kalen Braley »

Carl Rogers

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »
Carl,

Why is that optimal?  I'd much rather have it there near the buildings and noisy street and put the course over near the water and the lot next door that is quieter upper end burbs....which appears to be exactly what Gil did.
A lot of us do not have access to information about the site.  Do you where to find additional information?  What is adjacent to holes 17 & 18?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Garland Bayley

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 02:44:31 PM »
Carl,

A lot of us do not have access to information about the site.  Do you where to find additional information?  What is adjacent to holes 17 & 18?

If my recollection serves me right, I believe the land adjacent to 17 & 18 will be used for other olympics related development, perhaps admin offices.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2012, 03:06:59 PM »
Its an open area at the moment....

..but my understanding is the same as Garland.  And I wouldn't be surprised if they put a buffer zone in there for the "beauty/serenity" of the place. 

Joe Bausch

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark McKeever

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »
This is awesome news to hear that they have started to move ground!!  I hope we get to see a lot of progress pictures over the next couple of years!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back