News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Johnston

Re: Feature Interview with Chris Johnston is posted
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 09:15:50 AM »
Chris, if the club really prospers, is there any chance you'll build a third course, either full-size or par 3?  If so, I'm curious which architects might be in the running.  I would think Sand Hills might rule out C&C.   

Good question.  We won't do a par 3 - too much of a novelty for me, and cost to maintain are close to a full course.

No plans but maybe on a third 18.  We have the infrastructure in place to do it.  Tom Doak would be involved - he has become a pretty good friend and I enjoyed working with him.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »
Fine interview. Thanks, Chris (and Ran).

I've encouraged my daughter Rose, the golfer and Environmental Studies major, to read it -- and have told her that she'll be delighted to read your comments on Dismal River's efficient irrigation system ... and especially about the proper colors of a golf course.

She did her big senior research paper last fall on Ways to Improve Water Conservation on the golf courses of Bloomington-Normal, Illinois. Among her principal findings: The golfers' demand for a Lush Green throughout the golf courses will likely be the leading impediment to courses' becoming more sustainable, from a water-use standpoint.

Does Dismal River have other Sustainability efforts in place?

One other question, that I haven't seen answered: Does Dismal River shut down for the winter, after the golf course closes?

Thanks again. As I've told you before, I can't wait to visit.

Dan

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Chris Johnston

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 08:45:40 PM »
Dan,

We try very hard to limit water and plastic usage.  Among our many efforts, we installed water bottle filling stations on the Nicklaus course  and have seen a big decrease in plastic waste - this is a pretty good idea for everyone. 

Out here in the Sandhills, the culture is to use what you have to the max and avoid throwing things away.  An example...excess wood (we make our own bed frames) becomes yardage markers and tee markers.  We also have a nifty fertigation system that allows for small doses of fert fed through the irrigation, rather than deploying heavy doses at any one time from mid year on.  Saves a good bit of fuel.

We also "flag" every bird nest (they nest in fairways and play roughs) to keep our smaller local friends protected.  If you ever see taller grass in a fairway, you can be sure there is a nest with eggs.  Kind of cool to see the progression.  We also help feed the local deer population from feeders.

The only unsustainable effort we practice is the relocation of porcupines.  Having pulled hundreds of quills from the faces of several Dismal Dogs, porcupines are relocated...to heaven.

Jason Hines

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 10:37:22 PM »
Thanks Ran and Chris for the interview.  In these lean times of new golf course architecture, I enjoy the updates and watching the progression of the Doak Course being built at Dismal River.

Chris has taken a few shots for the promotion of Dismal River and I will admit that the Nicklaus course is not one of my most liked courses, but I will tell you what I do like.  I like Chris’ passion, spirit and his willingness to share his story of the building of a special place in one of the best regions of our country.

Thanks again.

Jason

Chris Johnston

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 10:40:19 PM »
Thanks Ran and Chris for the interview.  In these lean times of new golf course architecture, I enjoy the updates and watching the progression of the Doak Course being built at Dismal River.

Chris has taken a few shots for the promotion of Dismal River and I will admit that the Nicklaus course is not one of my most liked courses, but I will tell you what I do like.  I like Chris’ passion, spirit and his willingness to share his story of the building of a special place in one of the best regions of our country.

Thanks again.

Jason

Jason,

The more you play the White, the more you'll come to like it.  For many, the newer Red may be love at first sight.

To each, his own!

Jason Hines

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 10:47:04 PM »
No doubt you are correct about the White course, what I see instantly about the Red is that it is Dismal’s differentiator from the rest of the courses in sand hills.  The river, the history, the horseshoes etc.

Thanks again for the updates, stories and progress.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:52:43 PM by Jason Hines »

Matt Bosela

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 11:03:48 AM »
Wonderful questions from Ran and thoughtful and passionate responses from CJ.

Outstanding Q&A - continued best wishes to all at Dismal.

Eric Smith

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 11:07:30 AM »
Thanks Ran and Chris for the interview.  In these lean times of new golf course architecture, I enjoy the updates and watching the progression of the Doak Course being built at Dismal River.

Chris has taken a few shots for the promotion of Dismal River and I will admit that the Nicklaus course is not one of my most liked courses, but I will tell you what I do like.  I like Chris’ passion, spirit and his willingness to share his story of the building of a special place in one of the best regions of our country.

Thanks again.

Jason

Jason,

The more you play the White, the more you'll come to like it.  For many, the newer Red may be love at first sight.

To each, his own!

Names! Finally!!  :D

Can you tell us more about how you came to the decision to call them White and Red?

Chris Johnston

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 11:37:49 AM »
White (Nicklaus) and Red (Doak) were chosen for ease on the property.  We have selected heraldic rose logos for the flags this year.  Historically, the White was thought to be the first rose, and the Nicklaus course was the first course, so they have a white rose on a red flag.  The Red rose came after, and Red is the primary color for both Cornell and NU, so the Doak course has a red rose on a white flag.  There are many meaningful historical references for white and red roses, but currently both represent love, faith, and friendship.  The specific roses for the flags come from the primary competing clans in the "War of the Roses, the conclusion of which began the English Renaissance.

We like to do different things on flags from time-to-time, all using the main DRGC logo.  A funny story... we used a bison on Mullen High School (black and gold) colors the first year - the Nebraska members didn't like them since they thought they looked like University of Colorado flags.

I think the rose flags will look cool on each course.

Eric can post a pic if he wants since I don't know how.

Eric Smith

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
CJ,

Firstly, thanks for your open and candid answers to the various points that have been raised.

Secondly, other than the heavenly relocation of porcupines (!!), what other animals/nasties (non human!!) do you have in the area that have to be contended with and what impact do they/did they have on construction and ongoing maintenance? I notice from Googlemap/Bingmap that there seem to be numerous animal paths (presumably cattle?) across the overall landscape, does this effect the courses or is there a wire fence to try to keep them out?

All the best.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 04:18:53 PM »
Thomas,

We have 80-100 deer (mulies and white tails), coyotes, 2 flocks of wild turkeys, tons of other birds, ducks, cranes, and geese, hawks and occaisionally bald eagles.  The Sandhiils are the primary brid migration route to Canada.  The property is also a working Angus cattle ranch.  Both the deer and cows (that jump the femce) trample a bit, but any damage is pretty easily repaired. In the winter, the deer make a home in a lot of bunkers.  The paths you reference are mostly from deer, but some are from cattle too.  The cattle are fenced (3 pair wire or electric) off from both courses.

Luckily we don't have rattlesnakes.

CJ

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »
CJ,
I like the names and the flags. It is not what i expected...barbed wire and bulls...but I like it a lot. (Can I have a flag...please :))

Thomas Dai

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2013, 03:45:07 AM »
CJ,

Many thanks for your reply. What with the interview, the photos, previous GCA posts that I've searched out plus your responses to queries I'm really starting to get a mental picture of DM and the more I hear the more I like. Sounds like somewhere I would love to visit one day, especially with no 'rattlers'.

All the best.

Matt Ingraham

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
Chris,

Great interview.  Also, it is great to hear your willingness to preserve bird nests and coexist with the majority of the native wildlife.  I have never been accused of being an environmentalist but the sand hills are a special place.  Is there much blowout penstemon on the property?  There is something about that plant/flower that intrigues me.  For people that have never been to the sand hills region, it is hard to explain how special it is.  World class golf is truly just an added bonus.         

Somewhat off topic but I am surprised by the lack of rattlers in large areas of the sand hills.  At first blush, I assumed rattlers would be common throughout the sand hills but apparently they are not.  My wife and I were on 14,000 acre cattle ranch in Loup County, Nebraska last weekend; she wanted to see the prairie chicken & sharp tailed grouse "dance."  The matriarch of the family who has lived on the ranch most of her 85 years has no recollection of ever seeing rattlers on the property.  The only rattler the family could recall seeing in the area was on a ranch about five miles down the road from their front gate and that ranch had a good sized prairie dog town.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »
A couple of years ago when I spent several pleasant days at DR I played a round of golf with Mr Hendren. I put approach to the 12th green in the front bunker. I am not particularly proficient out of bunkers but as I stood over the ball I suddenly noticed a large bull snake about 4 feet away. Without even thinking I swung and jumped backwards. The ball landed 2 inches from the hole. The players in my Sunday morning foursome back home have been instructed to shout "snake" every time I stand over a ball in the bunker.... :)

Chris Johnston

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 01:31:31 PM »
I've heard rattlers are more abundant in the northern 1/3rd of the state.

Aidan's bull snake adventure isn't very common and, from what I've seen, bull snakes are quite shy and keep to themselves.  Apparently, they also help produce great golf shots!

SL_Solow

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »
Chris and Ran;  Late to the party as usual.  Thanks for a great interview but I expected nothing less.  A good interviewer paired with a subject who is not afraid to voice an opinion is a formula for interesting repartee.  I look forward to further conversations in person.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2013, 10:34:23 AM »
Finally got around to reading this.  Fine interview and I enjoyed the perspective.

Thanks for sharing.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 11:58:12 PM »
Thanks for the great interview!!  To me, Chris represents the ideal blend of golf knowledge and entrepreneurial spirit.  Going on a tour of the Doak course with him was an all-time highlight.  If we can have people of that ilk to represent golf course owners, I think we will be fine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back