News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Nottingham by the Sea: SEACROFT GC (2012/13 Winter Tour)
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 03:15:14 PM »
Yes Boony, thanks for the pix. 

I wish 18 green came earlier in the round.  It seems too late to leave such an excellent green, especially on the end of an average hole. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

David Davis

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »
Sean, back to your post, no you are a great partner. I'd take you any day of the week lucky or not. In fact, better lucky.

I think the two of us with our double digit hcps might be tough to beat as a team.

Long as I don't have to play against you.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

John Mayhugh

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 10:19:47 PM »
I'm even more sorry that I had to miss out on Seacroft.  I'll make up for that one of these days.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2020, 02:28:49 AM »

Clyde

you seem to have come under the radar and I picked this up on the club new website that I have not seen before with your masterplan proposals for the club produced in 2018

http://www.seacroft-golfclub.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Seacroft-Masterplan-June-2018.pdf

Looking forward to read this proper when I have time and I know this is a hidden gem which can be a lot better having played there in many winter pro-ams in the past. One year I hit into someones back garden off the 2nd tee and managed to retrieve my ball  ;D

Cheers
Ben

John Mayhugh

Re: Nottingham by the Sea: SEACROFT GC 2012-13 Winter Tour
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2020, 12:39:22 PM »
Ben,

It's been a treat reading through this plan. Although I've not managed to visit Seacroft (had to go home early in 2013), the proposed work sure looks thoughtful and uses a "light hand" approach. It's a compelling & educational plan.

The club is ok with it being posted on GCA?

Ben Stephens

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2020, 03:28:25 AM »
Ben,

It's been a treat reading through this plan. Although I've not managed to visit Seacroft (had to go home early in 2013), the proposed work sure looks thoughtful and uses a "light hand" approach. It's a compelling & educational plan.

The club is ok with it being posted on GCA?

If the club is ok to have this masterplan on their website surely the link I have put on GCA is ok

You must go to Seacroft and I would recommend Sleaford as well as Woodhall Spa if you want to play three courses in this vicinity of the land as flat as a pancake :)

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 07:25:06 AM »
A few construction/grow-in pictures for anyone interested. We've tackled six holes - 6 thru 11 - over the past couple of winters, moving through things pretty quickly on a very lean budget. There are still some fairway adjustments/expansions to keep pushing for on those holes, and a couple of bunkers I'd like to take another look at. Seacroft is a modest club, but one with a proud history and a very good course featuring three or four exceptional holes. 

No.6: Short-four. The bunkers have been reconfigured and the green mown on more of an angle - inspired by a 1950s plan by Ken Cotton. There's a slight ridge between the two right-fairway bunkers that opens up the majority of hole locations; lost fo room to the left, but a tight approach down the prevailing wind. With the half-way hut behind the green now relocated, there is a fine mid-range backdrop.

There's now a bit more room to feed a drive onto the green for those long enough, though the cross bunkers are relatively punishing.

No.8: Sand climbs up the face for the dune, to restore some visual drama. The right side of the dune shoulder has been manipulated to provide a glimpse of the flag for those that hug the boundary, and to spread foot-traffic.

No.11: Bunkering on this long-five was previously uninspired, running down both flanks of the hole. Two new bunkers peaking into a slight ridge protect the ideal pocket from which to approach a beautiful green that falls away...especially now that the front-right bunker edges a cross its front corner.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:05:59 PM by Clyde Johnson »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2020, 07:41:27 AM »
Ben,
Sorry for the dumb question. I completely overlooked the link URL...  I have played Woodhall Spa but am keen to return to see the recent work there.

Clyde,
Thanks for the photos and update. Fun comparing these to the masterplan.

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2020, 04:01:37 PM »
Clyde

Thanks for the update...and please keep em' coming.

Looking back, even with terrible pix there looks to be quite a bit of character.  I think a place like Seacroft supports my view that nearly any real links is worth at least a 5 on the Doak scale.  Its easy for a Seacroft to get lost in all the flash of the big media darlings.  I was anxiously awaiting a return trip to Seacale over Easter, but alas...Who knows, maybe the trip will be rescheduled for the fall.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:03:14 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2021, 04:09:23 AM »
I just listened to Clyde on the NCG podcast. Very intriguing. Any photos of recent changes?

Ciao

Thomas Dai

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2021, 05:08:52 AM »
Thanks for the Podcast tip Sean. A “very fine” listen.
And well done to Clyde too.
Atb

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2021, 06:10:55 PM »
I just listened to Clyde on the NCG podcast. Very intriguing. Any photos of recent changes?

Ciao

Sean,

I played a few holes at Seacroft tonight, though most of these pics are from April:

Hole 6 - Probably my favourite change, based on a drawing from Ken Cotton in the 1960s. The green angles a little more from front-right to back-left now, with the cross-bunkers a little tighter to the front. The bunker in the knoll on the right has been filled-in, and the slot left of that widened and held-up a bit to give an aggressive drive a chance of getting on. There's now a whole bunch of room on the left, but the best angle in, a ridge to the right, is defended by another bunker (short, out of shot.) I really like how the hole looks now - the shed behind the green has gone, and a bunch of buckthorn cleared down the length of the 15th.

Hole 9 - I've added a few bigger pockets of naturalised sand across the course, but only in larger landforms, where it would make sense. This one is taken from a Harry Rowntree painting in Darwin's book.

Hole 11 - The tedious flanking bunkers have been done away with. A pair of pretty small pots on the angle now defend a ridge/saddle from which you will find the ideal angle to pitch down the rippling, fall-away green...especially now the front-right bunker eats a couple more feet across its front.

Hole 14 - There was some re-contouring/naturalisation of the carry to make the tee-shot a little more dramatic. Pictured, a couple of award little pots have been replaced by something that sits a little tighter to the green, with a run-off behind...there's room to edge out the green in behind this too. You can now see from the 13th green through to the 16th green...it's a compelling look.

Hole 16 - The tees have gone tight to the fence on this one, which now makes for a tricky and tempting drive. As a bonus, with the old tee re-naturalised, a miss-left of the ridge top 3rd will finish much further beneath the green. 

The most controversial of any of the works will be the 16th green!! There used to be a funky hollow in the front of this, which was talked about a fair bit by older members, the committee etc. - I found the old level, and broadened it out to get a narrow line of pins. It will confound the unimaginative golfer when the flag is down there, but I particularly like what it does to the hole locations around it's upper edge. There's sea views from this green now, too.

It's a long term, (very) low budget program, but they're slowly capturing the full potential of what is a really nice set of links greens...and pushing the fairways out too.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 08:12:54 AM by Clyde Johnson »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2021, 03:44:17 AM »
Thanks for the photos and the narrative Clyde.
Not somewhere I know but it looks pretty cool and the 16th green looks decidedly special.
atb

John Mayhugh

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2021, 07:25:06 AM »
Clyde,
Thanks for these pics and description of the work. Restoring the hollow to the 16th green is the type of thing that can really increase memorability of the course - and add some fun. I really hope to see it in the next couple of years.

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2021, 04:16:29 AM »
Clyde,
Thanks for these pics and description of the work. Restoring the hollow to the 16th green is the type of thing that can really increase memorability of the course - and add some fun. I really hope to see it in the next couple of years.

Yes, just adding my appreciation for the photos. I need to make a return visit. When do you think the work will be finished?

Ciao

Sean_A

Re: Nottingham by the Sea: SEACROFT GC
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2022, 04:58:49 PM »
I had the good fortune to revisit Seacroft for the first time since 2013. I must say the course impresses me and the changes are for the most part very positive. In earnest Seacroft isn't too far from top 100 GB&I in my book. Please see the extensively updated tour, albeit with some dubious light.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back