News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Schueneman

Maidstone, C&C
« on: March 02, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »
I have been waiting for months to hear some news about Maidstone.  When I was on LI in September I heard that C&C (I think) were about to dive in and do some work.  Anything to report?

Jeff Bertch

Re: Maidstone, C&C
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 03:58:02 PM »
I have caddied for the greens chair from Maidstone a couple times in the last few months. I believe Coore & Crenshaw were to begin work in late fall...consisting of restoring bunkers and greens. Irrigation had to wait for a water test for the city of East Hampton. ETA is 3 years for irrigation. Here is a nice story the "greens chair" told me. The C & C crew was already onsite when Hurricane Sandy took aim at NYC. As most of us know, Maidstone took a couple punches, most notedly the lose of half #15 tee. Instead of letting Maidstone crews clear up debris before they got back to work...C & C were right back there to help the day after Sandy dissipated. Maidstone seems to have a clear vision with what they want...can't wait to see the end result.

*image from Golf.com
you know...a caddie, a looper, a jock

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:22:12 PM »
I have caddied for the greens chair from Maidstone a couple times in the last few months. I believe Coore & Crenshaw were to begin work in late fall...consisting of restoring bunkers and greens. Irrigation had to wait for a water test for the city of East Hampton. ETA is 3 years for irrigation. Here is a nice story the "greens chair" told me. The C & C crew was already onsite when Hurricane Sandy took aim at NYC. As most of us know, Maidstone took a couple punches, most notedly the lose of half #15 tee. Instead of letting Maidstone crews clear up debris before they got back to work...C & C were right back there to help the day after Sandy dissipated. Maidstone seems to have a clear vision with what they want...can't wait to see the end result.

*image from Golf.com

Thank you, Jeff.

Does anyone have any idea what restored bunkers and greens would look like?  Have the greens lost significant size or contours over the years?

By the way, if anyone is affronted by these inquiries and believes they constitute an unwarranted intrusion into the affairs of a private club then please pm me and I will withdraw the thread.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 08:29:32 PM »
I was standing on that tee this past Fall...bad word choice ;D

The work had just begin there with some greens being expanded and a few bunkers being worked on. It was difficult to tell how much change would be dramatic. My take was that the work would be gradual...mostly bunker edges, creating new slopes and depths...and bringing greens well beyond their current perimeters. I also heard that some of the fairways on the flood prone areas would be raised and re-turfed.

Maidstone has always been, to me, a course of three personalities: The dunes, the marshes and the archaic holes that extend from the clubhouse, almost an estate-like setting you would find in the UK. An absolute gem, and my guess as to why the change will be subtle and not in-your-face drastic.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:08:22 AM »
I recall the drainage on #2 was a perpetual problem - with an arbitrary rough line that made no sense. Our caddy said they had been trying to get it to drain for years to no avail. I'm wondering how C&C will tackle that problem, aside from dragging in a bunch of dirt and raising it up a bit.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »
I believe they will drag in a bunch of dirt and raise it up a bit. However, knowing Bill, it will be more like: "Carefully lifting some selected soil and bumping it up here and there..."   ;)
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 05:35:56 PM »
C&C posted a number of photos of the work at Maidstone on Facebook.

One of the bunkers looks deep and nasty.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back