News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: The marriage worked, but then, one of the partners changed
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »
VK,

I've made birdies, pars and bogies that would make me throw up if I was playing against a golfer who made them.

Playing your opponent is almost certain to result in your early exit from a tournament.

Play the hole with situational awareness and you won't go wrong or be disappointed by crazy recoveries and miracle shots.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 07:39:38 PM »
Agreed.

As a caddie with 2500 rounds or so in the shoes, most of them at match play, I have seen the dynamic of which you speak come into play countless times...the very moment one guy starts playing the other guy, his game vibrates off course (pun intended).

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »
Peter,

I think one of the errors people make when discussing match play is the concept that you're playing your opponent and not the golf course.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

The best match play golfers play the course, with situational consideration to their opponent.

TV has had an enormous influence on golf and architecture.

The producers don't want to see a match go 8-6 or 7 extra holes.
If the tournament can all come down to the last few holes with several players jockeying for the win, that's the drama and theatre they want.

They don't want a "quirky" feature upsetting their Applecart.
They don't want a contender taking a triple on # 15, thus ruining the drama, the theatre.

The tour today isn't about a guy making a triple or double coming down the stretch, it's about birdies and pars coming down the stretch

One only has to look at the disfiguration and flattening of greens at Merion and WFW to see that unique or troublesome features will continue to be eradicated

Pat, do you never take note of your opponent's play when playing a match?

If he were, for example, to knock a tee shot out of bounds, would you not play well away from the OB knowing that a bogey would most likely win the hole?

Or if he knocks a shot stiff do you not a result try a riskier shot than you would if just "Old Man Par" was your objective?

I firmly believe that medal and match play are two completely different games, with different strategies and risk taking.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 08:52:44 PM »

If he were, for example, to knock a tee shot out of bounds, would you not play well away from the OB knowing that a bogey would most likely win the hole?

Or if he knocks a shot stiff do you not a result try a riskier shot than you would if just "Old Man Par" was your objective?

Bill,

Do you ever take note of the words I type ?

What part of "situational awareness" didn't you understand ?  ?  ?

I firmly believe that medal and match play are two completely different games, with different strategies and risk taking.

So do I !

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »

Bill,

Do you ever take note of the words I type ?

What part of "situational awareness" didn't you understand ?  ?  ?

So do I !

Sorry, there are so many words it's hard to keep track of them all!

Your sentences there are a trifle contradictory.  Read them again if you don't think so.   

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 10:37:16 PM »
Bill,

I've seen so many matches lost because golfer 1 was watching and focusing on golfer 2.

You have to play the hole, first and foremost, but with an awareness of your opponent.

Hale Irwin told me, always expect your opponent to make the shot that you don't want him to make, that way you're emotionally prepared if he makes it and satisfied if he doesn't.  Whereas, if you don't expect him to make it and he does, it can shake you up.

I've seen guys 15 feet from the hole in two and their opponent 30 yards or more off the green in two, then they either hit it "gimme" close or scuff it to 50 feet then drain the putt and the guy 15 feet 3 putts and loses the hole.

Expect the unexpected but be aware.

Then again, your opponent just might play better and deserve to win.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »
Bill,

I've seen so many matches lost because golfer 1 was watching and focusing on golfer 2.

You have to play the hole, first and foremost, but with an awareness of your opponent.

Hale Irwin told me, always expect your opponent to make the shot that you don't want him to make, that way you're emotionally prepared if he makes it and satisfied if he doesn't.  Whereas, if you don't expect him to make it and he does, it can shake you up.

I've seen guys 15 feet from the hole in two and their opponent 30 yards or more off the green in two, then they either hit it "gimme" close or scuff it to 50 feet then drain the putt and the guy 15 feet 3 putts and loses the hole.

Expect the unexpected but be aware.

Then again, your opponent just might play better and deserve to win.

There's no question, match play is the greatest format of all. 

In the days when I played college golf at UCSB it was all match play.  Thank god, I was a scratch player at match play but a 5 at medal play.   ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 10:52:39 PM »
Bill,

Did you ever transition to favoring medal play ?  Even for a brief spell ?

What was your home course at UCSB ?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 10:57:04 PM »
Bill,

Did you ever transition to favoring medal play ?  Even for a brief spell ?

What was your home course at UCSB ?

We played at LaCumbre, with an occasional epiphany at The Valley Club.

No, I have never been consistent enough for medal play.  As Saint Clint said, "A man has got to know his limitations!"

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 07:17:19 AM »
Bill,

Did you play Sandpiper in Goleta ?

What did you think

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 09:13:54 AM »
Bill,

Did you play Sandpiper in Goleta ?

What did you think

Many years ago.  I found it a missed opportunity. 

Gib_Papazian

Re: The marriage worked, but then, one of the partners changed New
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 12:25:44 PM »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:59:04 PM by Gib Papazian »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back