News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Sander

Re: Matt Ginella's Top-40 US Public
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »
Interesting to see French Lick (Ross) but no French Lick (Dye)

I've walked the Dye and played the Ross, and I'm not sure he's wrong about that.  

Also - if the rack rate for a foursome at a privately-owned 'public' course is more than the yearly dues at a modest 'anyone-whose-check-clears' private course in the same state, it seems strange to call one public but not the other.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »
I'm glad he has his own opinion, and it doesn't mean he is wrong. He flat out says he is no architecture geek. His list probably looks more like the general paying public's "favorites" does than we nerds' would...

A voice of reason, along with Mark Pritchett!  Matty G. is not a gca hobbyist.  He is not a turf god.  He hasn't interned at Merion and he didn't consult on "The Confidential Guide".  If anything, he's a regular guy, a glib and likable sort who knows how to enjoy himself.  I met him on a trip to Bandon and he was a real card and he wasn't anything like the other well-known GD guy who famously complained about the lack of plugs in resort sinks at Bandon.  This morning, I happened to stumble by Morning Drivel and saw a thoroughly engaging interview of Ginella about Streamsong.  Many here might criticize him for rating or reviewing courses after one play, but he did a nice job of baiting the hook for the retail golfer, which happens here all the time.

I've played half of the courses on his list and would quibble with some, but a list is nothing if not debatable.  Debate the man, don't condemn him.  He loves the game and is helping promote travel golf.  What the hell is wrong with that?

A good ruling by the Judge. 

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John Nixon

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
Good grief, he's got 3 Bandon courses in his top 10 and folks here are still complaining?

Tough crowd. I thought it was a reasonable, personal list.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 11:37:34 AM »
When MattyG ambushed our group a few years back at World Woods, he and his cameraman stayed at The Chaz with us, had dinner and breakfast and watched some  NCAA tournament hoops in addition to following us around on the course.  He was imminently likeable and while younger, fit in nicely with our group of 8.  Hit a few shots on the course when challenged to do so and showed strong game. 

While I'm sure his learning curve has planed off, he knew surprisingly little about golf courses and golf course architecture in our discussions.  He also seemed quite eager to learn.  Not a criticism, just an observation that he admits to. 

A really good guy with a great job.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Carl Nichols

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 11:57:19 AM »

A really good guy with a great job.

Bogey

I don't know him, but can certainly agree that he has a great job (especially if he doesn't have a family). 

JLahrman

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 02:09:37 PM »
Good grief, he's got 3 Bandon courses in his top 10 and folks here are still complaining?

Tough crowd. I thought it was a reasonable, personal list.

With Trails as his second-favorite of the four, no less.

People on this website wouldn't know what to do if a popular publication put out a list of rankings that we agreed with.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »
You can disagree with the place-by-place rankings on the list, but Matt is the best hope for bringing more than the most vague awareness of golf course architects and architecture to the wider golf audience. One would do well to consider this before tearing him down.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

David Kelly

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 04:46:09 PM »
Not a remotely credible list. Granted I've only played about 8 of them. But that's enough. Thanks for posting that pic of 18 at Pacific - great hole.

Is this a joke?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 05:43:01 AM »
Tim, will Matt have as much visibility on GC as he did on GD? I wonder if there is a difference of demographics or if he took the money/opportunity to switch employers.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Billsteele

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »
Ronald-Based upon his appearance on "Morning Drive" today, Matt will seemingly be their "Travel Guru." It looks like on Thursday he will highlight bargains or suggestions for the upcoming weekend...today, Barton Creek and Pacific Grove were discussed. On Fridays, it appears he will be responding to viewer questions. Unfortunately, there are only so many times that you can recommend your favorite Myrtle Beach courses.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 03:20:14 PM »
Some of you are a bit "glass half-empty" with this list. He has GCA favorite Pasatiempo at #5 and WeKoPa Saguaro at #26. Both are noticeably absent or at least undervalued on many lists.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 06:05:37 PM »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 07:25:19 PM »
Forest Dunes made the top 10  8). This has to be the best conditioned public course in the state.  Additionally I love how the front and back are so different.  I played this course last year in July and there was nobody there.  I sat on the patio with some friends and was greeted by the owner with drinks on the house.  Forest Dunes knows how to treat its customers and if you have never played the course it's worth a trip and make sure you play Kingsley Club and Arcadia Bluffs while you visit the mitten.

I'm a huge Forest Dunes fan. Terrific place. Really need to get back there one of these days.

Me too.  A few years ago I played two rounds at Kingsley and one each at Arcadian Bluffs, Crystal Downs and Forest Dunes.  Arcadian Bluffs was a distant fourth.  Forest Dunes held up well in that company.   I loved the heathery holes on the back nine. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 07:28:11 PM »
I was surprised to see Cuscowilla on that list.  Is it no longer private?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »
Arcadian Bluffs has since dropped the "n" from its name and is now called, simply, Arcadia.

I haven't played Kingsley nor Crystal. We had to drop Forest from our trip, due to reasons of psychopathy.

So I've played Arcadia and I did enjoy it, I think the first hole is a perfect example of how to get the hole that doesn't fit out of the way, right off the bat. I could play Arcadia every day for a lifetime and be quite satisfied. It demands all the shots, has all the beauty and all the diverse terrain. I have no problem with it being on MG's list.

Fact is this: some people abhor subtle and sublime. They also abhor people that go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and...
 about subtle, suggestive, understated, judicious and other some-such.

Pass the salt, please.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 12:36:01 AM »
Two glaring omissions.............    Black Mesa and Wildhorse , both top 25 in my book.

Joe Stansell

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 11:35:29 AM »
Two glaring omissions.............    Black Mesa and Wildhorse , both top 25 in my book.

Add a third: Wine Valley

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »
So message the guy and make the suggestions in a positive, charming way. Best to get him on our side, no? If we come at him like d-bags, he'll brush off the mission and we'll be sheet out of luck. If Bogey says he's chill, he's dope.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 07:29:31 PM »
 Forgot about Wine Valley..  and 3 more candidates definitely in the upper echelons...   Links of North Dakota, Homestead,
  and  Pumpkin Ridge.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back