News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Scottish 9 Holers
« on: January 29, 2013, 02:00:29 PM »
There is a blogsite about Scottish nine hole courses called 169 niners at http://169niners.com/?page_id=190.  It has some interesting entries. I ran accross it from Niall Carlton's comment on the Spion Kop at The Machrie. 

David_Tepper

Re: Scottish 9 Holers
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »
I have played Gairloch, Bonar Bridge & Tarbat (Portmahock). No Spion Kops, but a number of interesting holes! ;) Durness is next on my "to play" list.

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »
Pete

That's spooky because I've just been looking at some photos I took at Bonar Bridge and at Tarbat to remind me of the course. Sadly I was to done in to play that day so just walked the courses but would love to play both of them, particularly Tarbat which has some holes that are more Painswick than Painswick if you know what I mean.

Abernthy Golf at Nethy Bridge looks really interesting from what I've seen and comes highly recommended by Jon Wigget. Another to add to the list. BTW, someone brought out a book on the 9 holes courses in Scotland a couple of years ago. Going cheap on Amazon.

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:05:39 PM »
Niall -

I have played Jon Wiggett's 9-holer near Dingwall as well. There is a lot of golf there!

DT

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »
Pete.

I have remarked on this before but my favorite nine holer in the world is the Traigh Golf Club.

http://www.traighgolf.co.uk/

Have you discovered any new super Oregon Pinots?

Bob

Jim McCann

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 04:29:51 PM »
Niall:

I presume the book you're referring to is Derek McAdam's "The Nine-Holer Guide".

It's a cracking wee handbook describing 162 of the 9-hole courses in Scotland (though it includes Shiskine and Askernish).

Some of the 9-hole courses omitted includes the likes of Machrihanish (Pans), Lochranza and Dragon's Tooth.

I've played less than 5% of the 162 courses - though I can thoroughly recommend Traigh and Carradale - and I've had
Isle of Eriska on my "must play" list for some time now.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:32:01 PM by Jim McCann »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Pete.

I have remarked on this before but my favorite nine holer in the world is the Traigh Golf Club.

http://www.traighgolf.co.uk/

Have you discovered any new super Oregon Pinots?

Bob

Take your pick Bob.

http://www.winespectator.com/magazine/show?id=47894
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 07:35:52 AM »
Jim

Thats undoubtedly the one.

Another course I've mentioned before is Covesea, just to the west of Lossiemouth. A cracking wee nine holer with some great views and challenging shots. Highly recommended.

The only caveat I would make to these recommendations is don't expect to play a highly manicured course because sonme of them are fairly rough and ready but then thats part of their charm.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 08:07:12 AM »
I visited the New Galloway course on the way to the Turnberry Open a few years ago, and rather enjoyed it. The first two holes are straight up the hill - think Painswick levels of steepness - but once you get up onto the moor it was really quite good.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bryan Lewis

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 10:49:34 AM »
Musselburgh Links.  What fun to play a course that hosted six Open Championships.  I can't image the views were much different back then.

Bryan

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »
I visited the New Galloway course on the way to the Turnberry Open a few years ago, and rather enjoyed it. The first two holes are straight up the hill - think Painswick levels of steepness - but once you get up onto the moor it was really quite good.
I recall Strathtay being extraordinarily steep in places
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »
Mark

Come to think about it, I played Strathtay last year. It was a wooden hut with a charity slot, £5 or £10 a go, I can't remember which. Went round once and only reason I didn't go round again was I ran out of time. The holes vary from quite open to fairly tight with some interesting holes, especially the par 3's which were really quite good. The par 4 at the top where you play up a steep hill and then the green is located at the bottom of a gully just over the other side with OB behind, was just mental. Not far off the A9 for those doing the Dornoch trip.

There's another one a bit further along the Strathtay road, can't recall the name but it looked a good bit flatter but still worth a play.

Another nine holer I dropped off to play was Invertilt GC at Blair Atholl, a bit further up the A9. Some interesting greens with some nice golf. Not at all mickey mouse with some good par 4's that require a decent hit for your second. Worth a play if you're bursting for a game on the way up. £20 for 18 holes if I remember rightly.

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 01:45:34 PM »
Niall -

Looks like there has been some green fee "creep" at Strathtay. ;)

http://www.strathtaygolfclub.com/

P.S. The town of Dunkled, just off the A9 and right on the banks of the River Tay, is a very pretty spot.

DT

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 02:17:13 PM »
either that or I owe them a fiver ! I did tell you it was an honesty box  :-[

Not a bad website considering. I notice that the 5th/14th is called Spion Kop which is interesting given the chat on the Machrie thread. I also note this hole varies from between 203 yards to 245 yards for the men and is still a par 4 !

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 02:44:39 PM »
Now that my brain is ticking over properly there is a couple of "MacKenzie" 9 holers up north.

Dalmenzie Hotel course near Ballater designed by the good Doctor in the 1920's which ahd a few wee tweaks but still a cracking wee course, especially the par 3's.

Also Ballindalloch Castle course which is on the Speyside whisky trail after you come off the A9 at Aviemore. Designed by Tom MacKenzie of MacKenzie Ebert (or is it the other way round ?). Certainly more conventional than the other courses mentioned previously but some quite interesting greens and one of the prettiest par 3's in the country.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back