News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: BUDA in Holland (The Netherlands)
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
It doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet but these dates mean that the BUDA match would finish the day before the start of the Open Championship.  An opportunity to play BUDA then watch a round or two of the greatest championship in golf at the best course in the UK?

I suspect you were trying to get a rise out of some of us.
Correct
  You succeeded. 
My effort wasn't wasted!
The greatest championship in golf, maybe, the best course in the UK?  Doubtful.
All a matter of opinion, of course.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2012, 01:11:50 PM »
Muirfield is certainly in the top 3-5.  Arguing exactly where in that group it exactly fits sounds like the last two hours of a perfect night out in Amsterdam.....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Steve Wilson

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 01:37:16 PM »
I can't believe I missed this thread for six days, but if there is room I am definitely interested.  I should be at the tail end of a several week long sojoun in the UK as this event comes up on the calendar.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Niall C

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 02:39:17 PM »
David

Buda has always had a healthy US representation.  Whats not to like about Buda?  Someone organizes a few days of interesting golf not too far from a pack of other very fine courses which are accessible.  Its an easy trip to make if one likes golf travel.  Trying to get Aussies over though a very tough ask.  Thats probably why the Aussies started asking people to visit them via the Boomerang. 

There are many GB&I folks on the site, but for some reason Buda doesn't seem to attract a huge percentage of them.  I am not sure if anybody has actually ever looked into why this is the case.  I know from my perspective (as a dualie) and as one who would always like to attend Buda, I dislike Buda being during the week or during summer school holidays when I already do golf trip and family hols. 

Ciao

I would love to attend but unfortunately my restraining order doesn't allow me to leave the country.

Niall

Rich Goodale

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 03:18:43 PM »
David

Buda has always had a healthy US representation.  Whats not to like about Buda?  Someone organizes a few days of interesting golf not too far from a pack of other very fine courses which are accessible.  Its an easy trip to make if one likes golf travel.  Trying to get Aussies over though a very tough ask.  Thats probably why the Aussies started asking people to visit them via the Boomerang. 

There are many GB&I folks on the site, but for some reason Buda doesn't seem to attract a huge percentage of them.  I am not sure if anybody has actually ever looked into why this is the case.  I know from my perspective (as a dualie) and as one who would always like to attend Buda, I dislike Buda being during the week or during summer school holidays when I already do golf trip and family hols. 

Ciao

I would love to attend but unfortunately my restraining order doesn't allow me to leave the country.

Niall

Niall.

Are you allowed to leave Morayshire?  If not, let us know and we will visit you with fresh fruits, vegetables and bogus handicaps.

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David Davis

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2012, 06:33:18 AM »
Steve, consider yourself on the list!

Niall, you and me both, that's why I'm organizing  ;D
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

David Nelson

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2012, 06:41:30 AM »
David, I would love to play in the Buda again... Please add me to the list if possible.

David Nelson

David Davis

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 06:48:15 AM »
David, cheers! Happy to add you to the list and look forward to meeting you.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 07:36:44 AM »
Well done, David.

I can't commit now as next summer my youngest daughter might be at a school exchange in Oz and my wife has a birthday with an "0" in it, but if I'm available I'll do my damnedest to be there.  One final word.

Been-there-done-that-still-have-3-GeorgePazin-originalTShirts-leftoverfromBUDA1-expect-an-attrition-rate-of-at least-25%-particularly-from-us-Yanks-who-have-a-bad-habit-of-wandering-about-aimlessly-when-the-going-gets-tough-or-even-interesting.

Hopefully see you there, if not sooner or later

Rcih
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Pearce

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »
David,

Let me echo Rich's last comment.  There's plenty of genuine interest here.  If (as I hope you will) you go ahead, get deposits in early, and make sure you keep a track of people's intentions.  The attrition rate for this year's BUDA from those that committed was over 40%, and of those who paid a deposit over 25%.  History suggests that you'll get somewhere between 20 and 28 golfers.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David Davis

« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2012, 10:12:09 AM »
Thanks guys, and good thing as well, I don't think there is anyway I could manage tee times for more than that many people, I could far more easily charter a jet to bring them over.

Besides it's the holiday season and of course the thought that really counts right?

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2012, 04:38:17 PM »
The lady says I can go play, if we get to see the cheese market at Alkmaar on Friday pre-BUDA and a nice hotel for the week. Any suggestions as to the latter?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2012, 05:43:42 PM »
The lady says I can go play, if we get to see the cheese market at Alkmaar on Friday pre-BUDA and a nice hotel for the week. Any suggestions as to the latter?

Ulrich

I understand that suggestion may be imminent.  :)
Let's make GCA grate again!

David Davis

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »
Guys (Ulrich),

I've arranged the hotel for the group. Trying to get the final details all done by end of next week then I will post everything altogether. I'm thinking if this don't encourage you to come to BUDA I'm going to be concerned. ;-)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2012, 06:07:04 PM »
I can sleep on the first tee, if it's a worthwile course, but never underestimate the demands of a lady ;-)

Ulrich

David Davis

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »
Ulrich,

I'd be willing to wager your lady will be happy with the set up and you for bringing her along ;-)

I've done the cheese market in Alkmaar a couple times. It's fun if you like cheese and a touch of history.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »
David & Frank,
I'm working on travel plans, and hope to book flights in the next few days.  

In addition to Noorwijk, here's my list of want-to-sees, and I assume one of these will be the middle day of Buda:
De Pan
Royal Hague
Royal Zoute (a bit of a drive, I know)
Kennemer
De Swinkelsche

I would really like to go to Spa as well, but that's just too much car time.  Could you tell me how open each club is to a visitor from the USA? 36 hole day or just one round?  Saturday and Sunday play available?  Based on your advice, I should be able to better plan out a schedule.  

thanks

David Davis

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2012, 06:50:29 AM »
John,

I PM'd you some details. Will share some things with the group as a general rule for NL golf as well.

I am setting up golf for Mon-Wed (Tuesday with the help of Frank Pont as mentioned). It seems some of you are accustomed to booking your tee times and entire trip in detail way in advance. I understand that. However, tee times on these top courses in NL are impossible to book in advance. This has been the challenge in organizing here. We will have Mon-Wed booked in advance for the BUDA. After that's confirmed I will work on getting some options for Thursday and Friday for the group as well. Also at top courses for those that want to play more and see some more classics. However, what's important to realize is that while these courses do offer limited access. They only allow their members to book tee times 6 days in advance. Never more. So what people do is normally come to NL with some golf arranged with members of one of these clubs then once they get here stay flexible and call around, normally with help from the member and try to get on the other private classics.

In this case, I'm hoping to help out in this manner in advance but need you to know outside of Mon-Wed I'm not guaranteeing anything yet but I am positive about the possibilities for those interested.

My suggestion is once I've posted all the details/prices to book your flights and decide how much time you have for the trip and then outside of Mon-Wed we will fill it in for those that want to stay. However as mentioned you might have to be patient for the other golf to be arranged.

Frank Pont

« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2012, 01:59:33 AM »
David & Frank,

In addition to Noorwijk, here's my list of want-to-sees, and I assume one of these will be the middle day of Buda:
De Pan
Royal Hague
Kennemer
De Swinkelsche

I would really like to go to Spa as well, but that's just too much car time.  Could you tell me how open each club is to a visitor from the USA? 36 hole day or just one round?  Saturday and Sunday play available?  Based on your advice, I should be able to better plan out a schedule.  

thanks

John,

I can be of help with De Pan, Eindhoven and Spa where I am a member, and Swinkelsche which I designed.
Maybe we can get a seperate list of people who want to play some of these courses before or after Buda.
Eindhoven and Swinkelsche can be combined in one day, they oare only 10 km apart.

In terms of logistics eindhoven and Swinkelsche are about 1 hour drive south of De Pan.
Spa is another hour drive south of Eindhoven.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2012, 05:55:49 AM »
David & Frank,

De Pan
Royal Hague
Kennemer
De Swinkelsche

thanks

John,

I can be of help with De Pan, Eindhoven and Spa where I am a member, and Swinkelsche which I designed.
Maybe we can get a seperate list of people who want to play some of these courses before or after Buda.
Eindhoven and Swinkelsche can be combined in one day, they oare only 10 km apart.

In terms of logistics eindhoven and Swinkelsche are about 1 hour drive south of De Pan.
Spa is another hour drive south of Eindhoven.

Frank,

Please count Ward Peyronnin and me in as wanting to take advantage of your offer. We are planning to make this trip an extended tour and can be available either before or after the Buda per your recommendation. There is a good chance we will be driving to the Buda from Calais, so any suggestions for courses along the way would be greatly appreciated.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2012, 06:32:29 AM »
Frank,

put me down as interested in playing Utrecht de Pan. If possible, on Saturday pre BUDA (i. e. July 14th).

Ulrich

Frank Pont

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2012, 09:54:37 AM »

Frank,

Please count Ward Peyronnin and me in as wanting to take advantage of your offer. We are planning to make this trip an extended tour and can be available either before or after the Buda per your recommendation. There is a good chance we will be driving to the Buda from Calais, so any suggestions for courses along the way would be greatly appreciated.

Michael,

when driving from Calais I would consider playing Tom Simpson´s Hardelot Les Pins, just south of Calais. In the summer the bunker restoration of the front nine that Patrice and I are doing at the moment will be in play, and it is a very fun course. So is nearby Le Touquet La Mer, a beautiful Colt links.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back