News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Davis

Re: 2012 Photo of the Year Contest
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2012, 02:48:06 PM »
Nice thread and great photos...I don't listen to rules (outside of golf) just hold firm on my saying your only rules in life are whatever you can get away with and still lay your head down on your pillow at night and sleep like a baby. In my case, I can't get away with much but at least I know it and always sleep like a rock.

I have 3 photos to share:

My favorite photo taken on a golf course (and the first day this year I had anything to do with a buggy, clearly it was bribery! My monsters!)

Then my favorite shot I took myself of a golf course, which I can't seem to improve the resolution of plus normally it's really wide and shows the Pacific, it's an awesome pic that disappointingly profiled here:

Finally my favorite photo taken of me at a golf course:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:49:52 PM by David Davis »
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2012, 03:15:26 PM »
I like the clouds.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt Bosela

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2012, 03:21:45 PM »

Jack_Marr

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2012, 04:01:40 PM »
John Marr(inan)

Michael George

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2012, 04:15:16 PM »

...the groundscrew (a.k.a. "my adopted Aunts") at Shanqin Bay, China...t'was Mother's Day, little did they know...here they are on 16 tee, topdressing by hand. Notice how bundled they are, it was likely 100 degrees that day.

So much for my soon to be submitted entry.  This is a great picture and totally depictive of golf course architecture in the year 2012.  The winner.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2012, 04:53:09 PM »
So I looked at all my arty-farty 'landscape as art' digital daubings and thought: "Na!"
Here's one of my faves of the year, cos of what it represents:

Two very happy GCAers at the end of one of (I hope!) their greatest days in golf...

F.

(PS HYB!) ;)
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »
August in Inverness, N.S.

Cabot6 by Guynick, on Flickr

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2012, 05:30:24 PM »
Excellent there FBD.  Thanks to you, a great trip was made even better.

I think this one turned out pretty well...  Allan atop the 11th at NBW:

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »
... If you're looking to impress anyone, you better keep Benham in mind.

In that case, maybe I should submit this instead  ;D

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Will MacEwen

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2012, 05:45:12 PM »
I'm generally partial to those with at least one golfer in them, but Guy's Cabot picture is pretty striking.

If you photoshop in a black and white Benham it wins for sure.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2012, 06:17:52 PM »
From April, first trip Scotland.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »
A note to the contestants:

If you post your entrée as follows, it will size the photos appropriately to prevent the need for scolling/cropping/etc.

[img width=800 [end bracket]

image address 
[/img [end bracket]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:29:38 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Garland Bayley

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2012, 06:32:10 PM »
A note to the contestants:

If you post your entrée as follows, it will size the photos appropriately to prevent the need for scolling/cropping/etc.

[img width=800 [end bracket]http://image address 
[/img [end bracket]

I find the easiest way to teach this is just to say push the quote message on this entry to see how Kyle does it.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2012, 08:05:37 PM »
...the groundscrew (a.k.a. "my adopted Aunts") at Shanqin Bay, China...t'was Mother's Day, little did they know...here they are on 16 tee, topdressing by hand. Notice how bundled they are, it was likely 100 degrees that day.

Great shot Quinn, you get my vote.

Ad post more photo threads ..... please.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2012, 08:13:27 PM »
From what I've seen, it's between Kyle and Brian.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »
Highlands Links, 16th Hole

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2012, 11:46:34 PM »
From what I've seen, it's between Kyle and Brian.

Thanks for the unofficial vote, Sir Bailey. It was an honor just to nominate myself!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Chris Haspell

« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2012, 04:09:30 AM »
Since I have seen some of the Family on here this one I could not resist , its from 2008 but it somes up golf and its future for me , get away from the stress and strain of a Everyday life , My eldest son was just 8 here and I already knew it would not be long before he beat me and the yougest is following close behind!.

I have indulged in the second photo, there are many things in a normal day we dont see , luckily one of the nicest parts of Being a super is the early mornings , sunrise/sunset and in this case the northern lights, unfortunatly not taken by me , but one of the guys who helps out from time to time No judging needed Sven

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2012, 06:12:58 AM »
Dawn breaks over the Old Course, 6 December 2012...

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:18:11 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2012, 07:16:04 AM »
It won't win, but here is my favourite from a sunny Sunday afternoon at Sunningdale earlier this year.

Deer on the 12th hole of the New Course.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 07:20:55 AM by Tom Kelly »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2012, 07:36:25 AM »
Is there a bad photo among these? You are all winners (and I'm not one for ego puffing.) This is the greatest holiday thread, as it invokes our fond moments of complete emotional connection to this game and all its trappings.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2012, 07:52:33 AM »
There are a lot of great photos out here - thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post them.  We certainly do play a great game, with many special people, on some beautiful grounds.

2012 was probably a highlight in my golfing life – I am not sure I will ever have a year better.  The Hundred Hole Hike at Kingsley with some amazing guys, my annual Dormie Society matches, and a great weekend at Ballyneal.

The highlight for me though, in a highlight year, was a morning in October I spent with my wife at Cypress Point.  It was a birthday gift to me for my 40th birthday – a day I will never forget.  This won't win the contest, but to me, it doesn't get any better.

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »
Since I have seen some of the Family on here this one I could not resist , its from 2008 but it somes up golf and its future for me , get away from the stress and strain of a Everyday life , My eldest son was just 8 here and I already knew it would not be long before he beat me and the yougest is following close behind!.

One day, when I grow up, I want to have a swing like this.

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2012, 08:29:27 AM »

Cal Club

Phil McDade

« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2012, 08:47:28 AM »
Some very excellent entries so far.  The resolution in those new cameras is spectacular.

Mine are not an entry.  I didn't take any spectacular pics this year for consideration of a contest.  I just wanted to share a sequence on hole #13 at my home course, a par 4, shortest par 4 on course at 340.  This is a series of images that I am lucky enough to witness, every time I play golf with this man.  He is going to be 81 in a few days.  This is in Oct., 2012.  I get to play with this guy about 2-3X a week.  He carries that distinguished bag every round, rain or shine, cold or hot, and he is proud of earning the right to carry and display that logo from his 3 decades service, retired Marine Corps Major, Steve Kaster.  I missed two months this season due to crumbling body.  I'm 17 years younger than Steve, but he never missed any rounds all year.  Toughest guy I know....  :o 8)

Tee ball:

Arrive - survey 2nd shot:

Striking a fine approach:

Old camera, low resolution, decent hole, great company. What more could be fairer?  ;D 8)

OK, I'm pretty sure the last line in this will be understandable to maybe one other guy on this board -- me! Nice to have a Roundy reference almost exactly on the anniversary of his death. Nice one, Sarge!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back