News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Re: 2012 Photo of the Year Contest
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2012, 10:29:56 PM »
Moved to the B-Sides.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:34:10 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2012, 10:37:53 PM »
Yes the 18th green complex is great for golf balls and bicycles....

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »
Yes the 18th green complex is great for golf balls and bicycles....

Great picture Mike but how long until someone complains about kids tearing up the course? :D

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2012, 10:41:42 PM »
Those wheels are legal at Bandon.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2012, 10:44:21 PM »
Those wheels are legal at Bandon.

Or Australia.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2012, 11:02:05 PM »
17 at Ballyhack

Not for the contest but for the beauty

Saunton West
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:05:51 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2012, 11:15:13 PM »
My entry.
Shinnecock Hills, October 2012.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 11:42:53 PM »
Sven,

I just sent you a couple more from the same shoot that afternoon. Most (but not all, oddly) of the photos posted seem to have chromatic irregularities and a lack of sharpness. I'm wondering if the JPEGs lose some of their resolution when transferred. Just out of curiosity, do the photos I sent by email look identical to the ones that you posted on the thread? I'm wondering if there is too much data in the file. I don't shoot raw very often, but usually in the highest definition possible. This might be a compression problem because they are razor sharp and shot with Canon L lenses (14-35; 24-70; 100 Fixed) on either a 60D or 5D at between 320-640 ISO - and never stopped down below 5.6.

That stated, some of the stuff posted takes my breath away. Good luck picking a winner; I would have no idea where to start. Maybe divide it into two categories: One where the subject is focused on the aesthetics of a golf course and the other on shots that capture a special moment in time. Dan Kelly's entry is a beauty by any measuring stick.

Terrific thread.  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 11:59:37 PM »
Some very excellent entries so far.  The resolution in those new cameras is spectacular.

Mine are not an entry.  I didn't take any spectacular pics this year for consideration of a contest.  I just wanted to share a sequence on hole #13 at my home course, a par 4, shortest par 4 on course at 340.  This is a series of images that I am lucky enough to witness, every time I play golf with this man.  He is going to be 81 in a few days.  This is in Oct., 2012.  I get to play with this guy about 2-3X a week.  He carries that distinguished bag every round, rain or shine, cold or hot, and he is proud of earning the right to carry and display that logo from his 3 decades service, retired Marine Corps Major, Steve Kaster.  I missed two months this season due to crumbling body.  I'm 17 years younger than Steve, but he never missed any rounds all year.  Toughest guy I know....  :o 8)

Tee ball:

Arrive - survey 2nd shot:

Striking a fine approach:

Old camera, low resolution, decent hole, great company. What more could be fairer?  ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2012, 03:46:29 AM »
I'll retract my entry due to people not adhering to the rules, starting with the contest's organiser, who posts multiple pictures himself. I'll try again next year :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Anders Rytter

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2012, 06:27:52 AM »
Here is my entry

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:21:28 PM by Anders Rytter »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2012, 07:52:57 AM »
Some very excellent entries so far.  The resolution in those new cameras is spectacular.

Mine are not an entry.  I didn't take any spectacular pics this year for consideration of a contest.  I just wanted to share a sequence on hole #13 at my home course, a par 4, shortest par 4 on course at 340.  This is a series of images that I am lucky enough to witness, every time I play golf with this man.  He is going to be 81 in a few days.  This is in Oct., 2012.  I get to play with this guy about 2-3X a week.  He carries that distinguished bag every round, rain or shine, cold or hot, and he is proud of earning the right to carry and display that logo from his 3 decades service, retired Marine Corps Major, Steve Kaster.  I missed two months this season due to crumbling body.  I'm 17 years younger than Steve, but he never missed any rounds all year.  Toughest guy I know....  :o 8)

Tee ball:

Old camera, low resolution, decent hole, great company. What more could be fairer?  ;D 8)

Semper Fi!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Hugh Griffin

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2012, 08:06:03 AM »
Some great photos so far i am loving this thread.

A few months ago i was lucky enough to play golf across New Zealand and this is a photo from the course at Jacks Point in Queenstown. Whilst certainly not the best course i played (Paraparaumu Beach and Kinloch dead heat) it was easily the most spectacular, even beating Kauri Cliffs and Cape Kidnappers. We just don't get these snow capped mountain vistas in Australia.

This from memory is the 8th green.

For interest sake this is the exact same hole (note the ball hasn't moved) just looking the other way. You cant really blame me for missing that birdie putt can you?

Tom Walsh

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2012, 08:40:03 AM »

Tee ball:

Semper Fi!

+1
"vado pro vexillum!"

Howard Riefs

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2012, 08:51:27 AM »

Great picture Mike but how long until someone complains about kids tearing up the course? :D

Thankfully, the training wheels are now off.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

jonathan_becker

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »
With the marine layer burning off, a different pov of the sixth at Los Angeles.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »
First time uploading a picture from Imageshack so hopefully it works.

My dad and Uncle Bob, best friends for over 60 years, been golfing together since their days in Montreal in the early 50's. Figure about 700 plus rounds together if not more.  Uncle Bob now lives in Vancouver, they havent seen each other in 5 years, Uncle Bob came out this summer and they golfed together every day. On the morning of this shot, they both walk into my dad's kitchen wearing nearly identical outfits, not planned. Shot was taken on the 5th East at Hamilton GC. I turned and clicked and kept walking. I had hoped to include another shot of the two of them on the 6th fairway but for some reason I have lost. It would explain these two golfers to a tee. Walking down the fairway, I turn around and see these two 80 years olds, bags still on their shoulders, Uncle Bob is in his golf stance, club in hand and my dad is leaning forward, adjusting Uncle Bob's grip on the club. No doubt explaining Hogan's thought on how to hold the club. A conversation I am sure that has taken place numerous times between these two golf nuts. Both families just loved this shot and some have had it framed for thier own homes.

Jonathan Stewart

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2012, 10:14:48 AM »
Not the best photo of the year but certainly my favorite.

[/img]

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
Looking over the 15th green and up the 18th fairway to the clubhouse at Reddish Vale.  

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:53:30 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2012, 10:47:22 AM »
I'll submit this Doak "painting"

Mark McKeever

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2012, 10:50:54 AM »
Good one Bill!   :)

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »

...the groundscrew (a.k.a. "my adopted Aunts") at Shanqin Bay, China...t'was Mother's Day, little did they know...here they are on 16 tee, topdressing by hand. Notice how bundled they are, it was likely 100 degrees that day.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:40:12 AM by Quinn Thompson »

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2012, 12:05:34 PM »
When: January 8, 2012

Where: 5th Tee, Byrncliff Golf (& Ski) Resort (30 Miles SE of Buffalo)

Why:  Why not?  It started snowing on our way to the course, and we asked "are we forbidden from playing?"  Once cleared, it was an easy decision.

Who:  This beautiful swing belongs to Ron (pink ball perfectly in middle of picture about to draw over the inside-corner bunker). See my B-Side submission for the GCA participants that day.http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54269.msg1250034.html#msg1250034

What:  A ridiculously well-balanced swing (note the amount of snow in the spikes) as the blue skies start to break through.  The orange stakes are for the anticipated snowmobile / x-country ski trails.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »
Some great photos so far i am loving this thread.

A few months ago i was lucky enough to play golf across New Zealand and this is a photo from the course at Jacks Point in Queenstown. Whilst certainly not the best course i played (Paraparaumu Beach and Kinloch dead heat) it was easily the most spectacular, even beating Kauri Cliffs and Cape Kidnappers. We just don't get these snow capped mountain vistas in Australia.

This from memory is the 8th green.

Remarkable.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back