News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

Raritan Valley CC
« on: January 02, 2013, 10:39:47 AM »
I'm trying to piece together all of the courses I've played and I believe that Raritan Valley is one of them. It's been a while and I can't find out much information about specific holes as the club website does not show too much detail. My main memory of the course that I'm thinking about is a par-3 with a dramatic elephant in the green, maybe the 10th. I remember liking the course but not being blown away by any means.

Any confirmation or info is appreciated.

Mike Viscusi

Re: Raritan Valley CC
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 11:26:04 AM »
I'm trying to piece together all of the courses I've played and I believe that Raritan Valley is one of them. It's been a while and I can't find out much information about specific holes as the club website does not show too much detail. My main memory of the course that I'm thinking about is a par-3 with a dramatic elephant in the green, maybe the 10th. I remember liking the course but not being blown away by any means.

Any confirmation or info is appreciated.

Jim, I've never played there but here is a link to the aerial course tour from BlueGolf that may jog your memory:
http://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/raritanvalleycc/aerial.htm

Can't confirm the elephant in the 10th green since the satellite image is a little grainy but it is a par 3.  Some of the more memorable features that I can see are: back-to-back par 3's (6 & 7) and back-to-back par 5's (11 & 12), 3 parallel holes with forced carries across the same pond at 4, 7, 16, and the course is bisected by a road that leaves two holes (5 & 6) apart from the remaining holes.

Hope that helps some.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »
Jim,

I think you are speaking about the 8th, but it's been almost ten years since I've been there.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »
Jim,

I think you are speaking about the 8th, but it's been almost ten years since I've been there.

It's been 15 or so for me. Just trying to piece it all together.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:12:14 PM »
Jim,

It's been 15 or so for me. Just trying to piece it all together.

Jim,

As I live relatively nearby and have family in that area, I've been out to RVCC a few times over the past decade. I think you are indeed referring to #10, as it has a "waist-pinching" mound located just inside the 2nd green-side bunker on the right-side (when viewing head on from the tee grounds). I don't think of it as an "elephant", but it does kick balls left and long. The most noticeable feature of the hole is your tee shot heads right over the club's busy entrance road and there's not much driveway inside the main thoroughfare.

#7 is the better of the shorter 3's as it is a double shelf oblong green perched just over an artificial holding pond. Too many trees left and right to offer much of any bailout and long leaves a really tough downhill chip to either side.

Hope that helps.

S
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 02:28:45 PM »
Is this it Jim?

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim Sherma

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 02:58:23 PM »
Is this it Jim?

That must be it. Based on what Steve said this must be the hole. I played the course once and that was the only feature I remembered. I believe I hit what looked like a good shot and landed on the backside of it to shoot it over the back. Any other thoughts as to the rest of the course and whether it's worth seeking out a return engagment?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »
I've never played Raritan, but I know it is fairly old (?1911).  That pic came from their web page via images.google.com.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back