News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

2012 Photo of the Year Contest - Finalists Posted
« on: December 04, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
That time of year again.

Here are the rules:

1.  One submission per contestant (all additional shots should be submitted in the expected B-Side thread);

2.  Photos have to have been taken in 2012;

3.  Submission period will run until December 20th (photo must be posted, not linked);

4.  Following the submission period, the Committee will choose five photos as the finalists (to be posted on the 22nd);

5.  Voting on the finalists will be open to all with one vote per participant (votes can be submitted by PM or by post on this thread any time between the 22nd and the 31st); and

6.  The winner will be announced on January 1st and will receive a small token prize in recognition of this incredible achievement.

One final tweak, you're allowed to nominate a picture taken by someone else, and that picture is eligible for the contest and does not count as the photographer's submission.  It does count as your submission.  The prize would go to the actual photo taker, not the submitter.

Good luck, and bring on the pics.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:40:13 AM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ian Andrew

Re: 2012 Photo of the Year Contest
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:42:51 PM »
My Son and I playing Highlands Links, 31 years after I had the same experience with my Father.

There will be lots of better photos, but it has a great story.
Just before this was taken my son said, "you really get to work here, how cool is that Dad."

The photo was taken by my wife ... its the only time she's ever stepped foot on a golf course.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:48:06 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:47:19 PM »
Chris Strong's hound awaits his next assignment at the Country Club of Troy. Chris is the superintendent there.

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

David Harshbarger

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:49:12 PM »
Why is there no "like" on this thing?  Two great photos so far....
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »
Golf dorks on the loose...

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »
Eric Smith took this photo of me at Dismal River in October .

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
Elsewhere on the interwebs they say done in one.  But we might as well wait and see.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 10:07:14 PM »
Thanks, Sven.  But really, my photos not THAT good.

Really Bruce's is up there too.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 10:38:28 PM »
"Done In One," even if it were my photo, would make me want to crawl through the fiber optics and give Sven a swirlie. Sven, amigo, you must be a blast at parties...wait, even better, at movies..."Don't bother...what happens at the end is~"

Winner of "How To Kill A Thread" -- Big Sven.

Must be the Guinness. Time for another.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 11:20:52 PM »
Hey Ron,

Take a lap and shake it off. 

When you're back feel free to delete that crap.

Sven

Mike McGuire

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 11:33:23 PM »
Golf dorks on the loose...

Reminds me of the time I saw a kid in shorts, followed by his dad, walking dejectedly in the parking lot on my way in to a State Amateur qualify site.  At that time no shorts were allowed and I correctly guessed he got black flagged. I threw him my rain pants and a business card. Next day in the mail box were my rain pants and a note "Thanks, I qualified for the State Amateur"

David_Elvins

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 11:55:33 PM »
Chambers #15 May 2012

(click photo for full res)

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 12:40:30 AM »

My two year old daughter giving a lesson to my Wife who was 8 months pregnant with our 2nd daughter.  She hit the second one to 5 feet.
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 01:02:44 AM »
Joe, that's a beauty.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:04:52 AM by Eric Pevoto »
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 01:49:51 AM »
With Spaulding delayed in Chicago, I decided to take a stroll at sunset and preview our venue for the following morning. The splendid light (this photo is untouched) was almost worth the hundreds of mosquito bites...

Whistling Strait - Straits course: 1st hole. (click to expand)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:00:25 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 02:23:05 AM »
The Location:
Atop the fairway on #9 at Royal County Down

The Date:      
Saturday 11th June, 2012

The Story:    
This was my first visit to Royal County Down and I had just one round scheduled in on the Friday. I arrived on the Thursday  afternoon, hopeful of a late game. It had rained all morning and the forecast looked ominous for the remainder of the day. Nevertheless, I went to the clubhouse for a late lunch and starred out the window as the 10th tee slowly went under water.

The next morning wasn't much better, but the rained eased somewhat. Throughout the windy and rainy round, I never once saw the Mountains of Mourne - a view I had long wanted to see. So, I booked another night's accommodation and arranged the second round at 5pm the following day. An overcast but pleasant afternoon provided the magnificent view I had longed wished to see. We played the 9th hole in these overcast conditions and then, as we walked down the 10th, the clouds parted and the sun shone through! I played out the hole, snatched my camera from the golf bag and ran up the dune to be presented with this.....

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:14:09 AM by Ben Jarvis »
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 02:49:39 AM »

New links golf in 2012.

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 04:01:48 AM »
Tough call on what sort of pic to choose.  I expect there will be many with great exterior views or of a personal nature so I chose to avoid those sort.  As I am fascinated with courses that are kept open to interior views I wanted to pick one of that sort.  I also tried to look for a pic which didn't really have a central focal point and featured more of a textured look - the sort you would see artists try to capture in a painting.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Cristian

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 05:07:25 AM »

The ninth at Noordwijk, my favourite par 5 on the course.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:52:59 AM by Cristian Willaert »

Cory Lewis

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 07:20:23 AM »
Love the sense of scale in this photo.  I'm in there somewhere.

Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Michael George

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 07:59:12 AM »
Sven - Thanks for re-starting my favorite thread of the year.  Certainly better than starting the 20th new thread on the Old Course changes.

Also would like to thank all of the 2nd place finishes for submitting their photos.  The winner will be posted on December 19th.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mark McKeever

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
Here is my nomination from hole 17 at Country Club of Scranton.  Overall a wonderful setting.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Phil McDade

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 10:27:36 AM »
The best 1st tee in golf (for one week, anyhow ;)), and the site of golf's most memorable moments this year.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 10:35:31 AM »
A reminder of the glorious summer we've had this year in England. The 12th at Wilmslow. I hope nobody gets the bright idea of putting a lake here permanently - it's where my best drives finish!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back