News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Todd Melrose

Chambers Bay Golf trip with pictures
« on: December 06, 2012, 02:49:08 AM »
This past summer a group of us went up to play Chambers Bay- this is my first time posting pics here and I wanted to share some of it. Really had a great time- course was challenging yet fun. At the end of the day we were pretty exhausted from all the walking (no carts allowed here) and particularly if you hit into the brush which can quickly turn into a hiking adventure- but you'll come out with some great stories!

Having done the Bandon trip last December, this is the other course people talk about in the NW so I was looking forward to seeing if it lived up to the hype. We joked around that the staff here must get annoyed with all the "Bandon" comparisons (they are definitely different from one another) but for those of you who have played Bandon, you do end up discussing the differences. There are truly incredibly views of Puget Sound all around but also a very natural-feeling course. The course was in great shape, and we were happy to see the greens were rolling pretty fast (we had heard prior they weren't in the best of shape). Spendy little round ($200+ i believe) but by the end of the day, I felt like I got my money's worth. I'd also definitely recommend getting a forecaddie for your first round- plenty of "I think we should aim here" shots only to finish the hole and realize we'd have played it differently.

The weather as you'll see below was absolutely perfect- but it was fun to try and imagine how this course will play for the US Open and seeing what shots the Pro's will need to make here, particularly if it gets windy off the water.

Enjoy!

Here is an overview of the course from the top of the hill, with the Olympic mountain range in the far distance:

1st hole: Par 4, 465 yards with the 18th hole running below to your left. We played the "Sand" Tees which is a little over 6,500 yards

2nd hole: Par 4, 366 yards... Straight away but you're also seeing the rest of the course now in your view and what you'll soon be facing. Realizing how important accuracy on your shots here, as a wayward shot from anywhere could spell disaster

3rd hole: Par 3, 130 yards... the pin is straight ahead, but anything short or left is lots of trouble.

4th hole: Par 5, 480 yards... Toughest hole on the course in my opinion as an uphill dog leg right- although i ended up right and had some trouble in the weeds/sand. A couple of us hit right off the tee, a couple left and this hole still kicked our butt. Very small green with more bunker trouble around it. You could lose your round on this hole.

5th hole: Par 4, 441 yards- don't let the view distract you :) A Straight away drive, where you'll try to thread the two bunkers that squeeze the fairway like a belt on a waistline

6th hole: Par 4, 369 yards- just a shot of the big greens here (or this may be the 5th green, i can't remember)

7th hole: Par 4, 449 yards. Here they actually had a temporary green as they're re-working the green and surrounding area for the US Open (see the dark green grass up the hill, which is where the hole truly plays). I had my only birdie of the day here thanks to the temporary green, Lol.

8th hole: Par 5, 523 yards. Straight away hole, with plenty of rolling fairway that slopes right. Just don't go too far right, as it is a significant drop off below. Another superior view of the course from here

9th hole: Par 3, 168 yards. A really, really fun hole given that you are on an elevated tee box with a huge drop down to the green. Everyone is unsure of what club to hit (particularly with wind) so it makes for some pretty entertaining shots. Being left is okay here, as there is a big slope that could roll your ball down onto the green, which is just above all the bunkers you see

10th hole: Par 4, 360 yards. My favorite hole on the course. The green is tucked in the back between the hills and there are a couple of surprise hidden bunkers near the left side of the green. As you can see, danger on either side of the fairway too

11th hole: Par 4, 426 yards. Just avoid that sand!

12th hole: Par 4, 262 yards. I loved this hole too, as it is deceivingly long, straight up hill. Green is tucked in back up against a hill, so you can have a nice backstop too or play the slope depending on your approach and pin location. You're in the woods if you hit left off the tee.

13th hole: Par 5, 512 yards. This par 5 really tests your course management. For some you can go for the green in 2, although at great risk/reward. Lots of danger to the right of the green, and even a few bunkers in the front. Someone in our group did get an Eagle here, and someone else took a double (me!)

14th hole: Par 4, 450 yards. This starts a fabulous 5 finishing holes. Strike a pose if you crush your drive. The hills protect you on the right, but lots of trouble on the left. What a view to the left!

15th hole: Par 3, 127 yards. Another "What a view!" hole. Love the natural sand on the right- except aiming left to avoid all that, put me into the little pot bunker to the left of the green... whoops! The green slopes down right off the lip of the bunker to this tight pin, making it nearly impossible to stop your ball short- however i was due for a good shot, and hit one of the best sand shots of my life for a tap in 3. Glad my buddy was able to capture the shot too

16th hole: Par 4, 359 yards. Right up against the train tracks and the Puget Sound, you can feel the breeze pretty well here. A good drive will clear those bunkers on the right easily, and the green is right up alongside the edge of the property next to the sloping berms in the distance. Missed my birdie putt here- grrrr!

17th hole: Par 3, 142 yards. Last view of the water and here you must be accurate- plenty of sand traps to try and intimidate you off the tee

18th hole: Par 5, 514 yards. Loved the gravel bin ruins that run alongside the hole- they look like 1,000 yr old ancient European ruins or something. If you're safe off the tee, look out where your 2nd shot may land- this fairway bunker is about 6 feet deep and may ruin your round if its still intact by now. The green is a challenge to read as there are lots of buried elephants, which will make you concentrate down to your last putt.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:29:15 AM by Todd Melrose »

Mark McKeever

Re: Chamber Bay Golf trip with pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
Looks like they decided to be more economical with the bunker in the middle of 18.  Good move IMO.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mike Hendren

Re: Chambers Bay Golf trip with pictures
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »
When was the 5th hole ruined?

It was a world-class driving hole with super abundant width yet a preferred line dictated by the small lions mouth bunker fronting the horseshoe shaped green.  I so enjoyed watching John Kirk sling a low drawn long-iron into the green from the right-hand side of the fairway. 

Between this and the Brazilian bunker in the 18th fairway, I'm concerned somebody's ruining a very good golf course one tweak at a time.  What's next? 

Bogey
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:29:15 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »
When was the 5th hole ruined?

It was a world-class driving hole with super abundant width yet a preferred line dictated by the small lions mouth bunker fronting the horseshoe shaped green.  I so enjoyed watching John Kirk sling a low drawn long-iron into the green from the right-hand side of the fairway. 

Between this and the Brazilian bunker in the 18th fairway, I'm concerned somebody's ruining a very good golf course one tweak at a time.  What's next? 

Bogey

Mike Davis and the USGA ruined 5 this summer. Likewise with the aberration on the 18th.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 12:22:21 PM »

6th hole: Par 4, 369 yards- just a shot of the big greens here (or this may be the 5th green, i can't remember)

Yup, 5th green
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bryan Lewis

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 12:30:17 PM »

Definitely 5 green.  Six green is tucked in the mounds and I don't think you can see much of the water from there.

Dale Frischknecht

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »
Todd,
Those are some great pics.  Being from the Portland area I think it is time I make my way up north for a few rounds.  I also want to visit Wine Valley, have you made that trip yet? If so which one would you put first?

Dale-

Todd Melrose

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 12:13:45 AM »
Thanks Dale- haven't made it to Wine Valley yet!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back