News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Chwalik

Newbie, 1st post -- Tom Watson: Olympics not for golf
« on: December 04, 2012, 03:24:44 PM »
Perhaps there is already a thread on "golf in the Olympics" and yes, this is my first post. 

Just wondered what you all thought about golf as an olympic sport in general and Tom Watson coming out today against it, "I still think of Olympics as track and field and not golf to be honest with you," he said. "I don't want to pour cold water on it, but I don't think it should be in the Olympic Games."

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Re: Newbie, 1st post -- Tom Watson: Olympics not for golf
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »
I understand that the Olympic "idea' has long past us by, but Golf is one sport where there is still a line between pro and amatuer sports.
As such I think golf should be in the games but within the amateur competitor calender.
What is a gold medal to the tour pros other than another ego boost and endorsement boost/
It will not replace or compete with the four majors, long since established as the acknowledgemnet of status within the game, so leave it as an Amateur highlight which will be more appreciated...just my humble opinuion.

I understand this has no economic benefit to the IOC and as such we venture down the professional ego boosting afffair as in Tennis.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 04:30:15 PM »
Simple.  Make Olympic golf an amateur competition.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 07:44:31 PM »
Similar to the college football thread, these decisions are driven by economics, not sport. I love the Olympics, college sports and amateur sport, but they are a different model these days.

That said, golf will re-enter the Olympics in the Southern Hemisphere and every architect should be thrilled with the decision. The growth for the sport outside the traditional areas will be good for them.

On a different note, I think I read it here once. Name the country where golf is "prominent" (say top 10 sport) that has had a war on its own soil?

England during WWII ????

You heard it here on Golf Club Atlas first. Playing golf is good for World Peace!!  ;)

Welcome Robert and who are you?

corey miller

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:56:49 PM »

The Olympics should not sponsor sports in which winning a medal is not the crowning achievement in that sport for the competitors.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:37:54 PM »
To be honest I am with Watson.  Golf, basketball, beach volleyball, synchronized swimming, tennis, and others hold no Olympic interest to me.  I think of track and field etc when I think summer olympics.  I understand why other sports want to be included but don't consider them Olympic sports.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »
Corey,

Do World Cup and World Championships rate as highly in skiing/track and field as the Olympics? Who are you or I to say what is the pinnacle in any sport?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

corey miller

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 09:54:38 PM »

I am not sure I should answer this Ronald as it seems you probably are just fishing for some sort of argument.  I suspect the Olympics are the pinnacle in skiing as well as Track and Field.  I don't think I ever said I wanted some sort of say in picking what sports should be included in the Olympic program but do think a minimum requirement would be that the medal is the highest honor in the sport.

If not, we might as well include football as it seems to be a giant moneymaker and just think how we could grow the sport. 

Through their actions, athletes at the highest level, show you what events they deem important. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 02:31:12 AM »
Mike - the war in England consisted of aerial bombing, there was never a land war. Apart from invading Russia Hitler's biggest mistake was cancelling Operation Sea Lion, if he'd gone ahead the war would have been won.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back