News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Pete Lavallee

Re: Mickelson seeks to renovate Torrey Pines north
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2015, 07:10:13 PM »
This whole situation is insane! The original price tag was $7 MM, then they tacked on a new irrigation system for the South Course and it went up to $9 MM. Suddenly it crept up again to $12 MM. They put the job out to bid and the two biggest golf course construction companies in the US bid $16 and $18 MM??? Now the City has asked for another $2 MM and will see what the companies say can be done for $14 MM, just to rebuild the 18 greens to USGA spec, relocate the bunkers and redo the tees??? I realize the "fair wage" stipulation has inflated the price, but how you can't get this done for $14 MM is staggering. How costly is ripping up unused grass areas, spreading some decomposed granite and planting a few native shrubs? I can see that any regrading will be very costly as the site has horrible soil covered by exactly 6" of top soil. They also wanted to move a couple of greens closer to the canyon edge, again how costly can this be when you're rebuilding the green anyways?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

David Stamm

Re: Mickelson seeks to renovate Torrey Pines north
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2015, 11:09:30 AM »
This whole situation is insane! The original price tag was $7 MM, then they tacked on a new irrigation system for the South Course and it went up to $9 MM. Suddenly it crept up again to $12 MM. They put the job out to bid and the two biggest golf course construction companies in the US bid $16 and $18 MM??? Now the City has asked for another $2 MM and will see what the companies say can be done for $14 MM, just to rebuild the 18 greens to USGA spec, relocate the bunkers and redo the tees??? I realize the "fair wage" stipulation has inflated the price, but how you can't get this done for $14 MM is staggering. How costly is ripping up unused grass areas, spreading some decomposed granite and planting a few native shrubs? I can see that any regrading will be very costly as the site has horrible soil covered by exactly 6" of top soil. They also wanted to move a couple of greens closer to the canyon edge, again how costly can this be when you're rebuilding the green anyways?

I completely agree, Pete. This is insane.

For comparison, Gil Hanse redid Soule Park for less than $2mm. It was a total redo. All new greens, new tees, all new bunkering.

The city is listening to the wrong people. PerIod. But, that's the legacy of San Diego recently. In a way, I'm glad they are putting the brakes on right now. I would hate to see the North screwed up like the South was and all of it costing 3-5 times more than it should.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back