News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Pont

Re: BUDA in Holland (The Netherlands)
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
David,

I will see what i can do with De Pan and Royal Hague.
Let me know how many people and which dates and format, and I will see if I bend some ears....

Also whoever is interested can play my latest course De Swinkelsche.
Could fit that in before or after the program.
Its about 1.5 hours drive south of Noordwijk near Eindhoven.

Mike Policano

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 04:31:51 PM »
David,

Well done. Having played your home course as well as Royal Hague and Kennemer, I highly recommend the trip. While Amsterdam is fabulous, Noordwijkse by the Zee is a very convenient and good location for golf at Noordwijske Golf Club.  Maybe it is 6 -7 minutes to the first tee. And a room at the Grand Hotel Huis Ter Duin with a Nord Zee view is very nice. 

Also, Frank is a very good speaker and quite the authority on Harry Colt .

David Davis

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »
Mike, good call! Was already thinking about that. Perfect place to stay. One of the directors is a member at our club. Although July is super busy for them full of Germans I think normally. I can try to get a deal once I have an idea how many people are able to make it.

That's a 5 star beach hotel so even with a good deal it might not suit the needs of everyone. Definitely ideal though.

Maybe 15 minutes to the first tee, I'm not sure who you were driving with ;-) or how you avoided the traffic cameras...
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

John Mayhugh

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 10:11:30 PM »
The dates are set, they won't change. whether you come in before or after is up to you.

So if I understand, this is the Buda schedule unless there is either not enough interest (unlikely) or someone proposes an alternative venue that has more support (also seems unlikely).  I guess as soon as we get 20 or so people confirmed, I can start making travel plans?

Thanks, David, for the organizational efforts.  I've been fortunate enough to visit Amsterdam a few times before, and agree there is lots to see and do non-golf related.  However, this will be my first golf trip there, so I'm going to concentrate on that.

Chris Shaida

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 10:52:48 PM »
I'm in wherever on those dates.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 11:10:56 PM »
David I have never played on the continent and will be keen for the experience. I am very interested and, similar to John will look for whatever the threshold is to be approached  and start planning with some of my previous traveling companions to attend and arrange extensions.

This is rather poetic justice in any case ; fie on the R&A as it has deserved a BUDA boycott of the UK after their recently initiated blasphemous sacrilige :'(
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 12:40:49 AM »
There is some very good golf in Belgium as well. Including one Royal Zoot.

Frank Pont

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 01:44:31 AM »
I am also a member at Royal Spa, a classic Tom Simpson course just south of the Netherlands.
Happy to introduce people there.

David Davis

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 03:24:02 AM »
In terms of extra golf there is more than plenty of excellent courses to play it just depends on how long you guys decide to stay. In NL and Belgium there is well over 2 weeks worth of great or very good courses. If we just address the classic courses we have:

Noordwijk
Royal Hague
Kennemer
De Pan
Eindhoven
Hilversum
Rosendaelsche
Toxandria

The Belgium courses are a couple hours drive. The top 5 mentioned there are great courses and I'd wager there will not be one of you that wouldn't agree they are among the best the've played. No coincidence that Harry S. Colt was the architect of 4 out of 5 of those.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 05:30:54 AM »
David, thanks for all the hard work. As I have said before i think the Netherlands is a great destination and I am sure it will be a lot of fun. Please pencil me in at this stage - will need to take a harder look at the diary in the new year.

Philip

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 06:11:50 AM »
David, thanks for all the hard work. As I have said before i think the Netherlands is a great destination and I am sure it will be a lot of fun. Please pencil me in at this stage - will need to take a harder look at the diary in the new year.

Philip

David, same for me and Drinkin' Joe Buehler, thanks!

David Davis

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 06:56:35 AM »
In terms of extra golf there is more than plenty of excellent courses to play it just depends on how long you guys decide to stay. In NL and Belgium there is well over 2 weeks worth of great or very good courses. If we just address the classic courses we have:

Noordwijk
Royal Hague
Kennemer
De Pan
Eindhoven
Hilversum
Rosendaelsche
Toxandria

The Belgium courses are a couple hours drive. The top 5 mentioned there are great courses and I'd wager there will not be one of you that wouldn't agree they are among the best the've played. No coincidence that Harry S. Colt was the architect of 4 out of 5 of those.

Sorry I meant to add here that these are all Dutch courses. I didn't list any in Belgium which also has nice courses.

David Davis

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 10:48:26 AM »
I'm bumping this for promotion across the pond.

Because of our dates there will be opportunities for people to play other great courses after the BUDA for those of you who are really diehards. In short, guys in the US we'll make sure this is a brilliant trip. The only thing we can't guarantee is the weather. However, what would a trip to The Netherlands be without the elements.

Jason Topp

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
David - I would love to do this and greatly appreciate your efforts.  The Netherlands is on my bucket list.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend this year.   

John Mayhugh

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »
Looks like we are doing pretty well on this side.  With current interest shown, we have enough Americans to take on a team from the other side of the Atlantic.

US & Canada
Michael Whitaker
Hart Huffines
Craig Disher
Bill Brightly
Chris Shaida
Ward Peyronnin
Bill McBride
Joe Buehler
John Mayhugh

GB&I + ROW
David Davis
Ulrich Mayring
Mark Pearce
Donal O Ceallaigh
Adam Lawrence
Tony Muldoon
Mark Chaplin
James Boon
Philip Gawith

David Davis

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 12:57:15 PM »
Looks like we are doing pretty well on this side.  With current interest shown, we have enough Americans to take on a team from the other side of the Atlantic.

US & Canada
Michael Whitaker
Hart Huffines
Craig Disher
Bill Brightly
Chris Shaida
Ward Peyronnin
Bill McBride
Joe Buehler
John Mayhugh

GB&I + ROW
David Davis
Ulrich Mayring
Mark Pearce
Donal O Ceallaigh
Adam Lawrence
Tony Muldoon
Mark Chaplin
James Boon
Philip Gawith

Ok thanks John, I didn't realize there were so many from North America in that list. I can easily fill in places with a few guys from GCA over here as well. I think the max we can have is probably 28 in total. More than that and the tee times become really tough.

BTW...I feel a bit like the fat kid who gets picked last for the dodgeball team. Oh, well. I'm from Oregon and we can't really consider that USA I guess can we? The golf there is far more European/UK/Irish. I agree!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 11:09:40 PM »
BTW...I feel a bit like the fat kid who gets picked last for the dodgeball team. Oh, well. I'm from Oregon and we can't really consider that USA I guess can we? The golf there is far more European/UK/Irish. I agree!

i didn't know you were from Oregon and, more importantly, my listing of players shouldn't be construed as assigning teams.  I was only trying to illustrate that the US wasn't lagging behind in signups.  You could make an argument for playing on either side.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 11:12:16 PM »

i didn't know you were from Oregon and, more importantly, my listing of players shouldn't be construed as assigning teams.  I was only trying to illustrate that the US wasn't lagging behind in signups.  You could make an argument for playing on either side.

Sometimes Arble and Goodale play for USA, sometimes they play for GBI, sometimes they play for ROW.  This is a flexible crowd.

David Davis

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 05:23:10 AM »
John/Bill,

Just for the record I was kidding and didn't take it like that at all. I was actually quite surprised to be honest because I thought the majority of the guys signed up were from the UK for some reason.

Which begs the question...are there actually any guys from the UK/Ireland on this site or has it only been my imagination as a semi-newbie?

What's really disappointing then is that we don't have enough sign-ups from OZ or South Africa. Come on Gentleman...

Sean_A

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 05:47:27 AM »
David

Buda has always had a healthy US representation.  Whats not to like about Buda?  Someone organizes a few days of interesting golf not too far from a pack of other very fine courses which are accessible.  Its an easy trip to make if one likes golf travel.  Trying to get Aussies over though a very tough ask.  Thats probably why the Aussies started asking people to visit them via the Boomerang. 

There are many GB&I folks on the site, but for some reason Buda doesn't seem to attract a huge percentage of them.  I am not sure if anybody has actually ever looked into why this is the case.  I know from my perspective (as a dualie) and as one who would always like to attend Buda, I dislike Buda being during the week or during summer school holidays when I already do golf trip and family hols. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 05:57:55 AM »
To be honest, I'll have to spend some Brownie Points to make the July date, since this is smack in the middle of our traditional summer retreat in the Alps. But seeing the situation in the Netherlands, what with the pricacy of the clubs and all, this might be our only chance to get it done. I might have to leave on Wednesday right after the last putt drops, but I will be there.

One good thing for the traveller about Holland: no jacket and tie required (my guess - am I right?)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

David Davis

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2012, 08:35:19 AM »
Ulrich,

The nice thing about using up brownie points is that you can have the opportunity to build them back up again. Glad you will be joining.

Good question on the jacket and tie thing. When I invite guests personally it's never a requirement - I only wear a jacket and tie when there are group functions at the club.

That being said it depends on who you ask, we have no written rule. However, if the 50+ crowd have a golf day or interclub mixer here they always put on jacket and tie for dinner.

The inner circle (older classic clubs) in NL are different than the rest where you would only need a jacket & tie if you were there for a competition I believe.

I would say for our group it's looked positively upon but not required. I will most likely as host wear a jacket and tie myself, however I would not single out people that chose not to.

Sean, understand your points, would still hope you can make it. I wish it were as easy here as being able to arrange all the games in the weekend but honestly in the end I'm rather lucky to have been allowed an option at all.

David Davis

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 06:23:55 PM »
Just a little update for everyone. We are working out details over here. I'm getting some accommodation quotes for Noordwijk and Frank Pont is helping with day 2. There is a chance that we may be able to with Frank's excellent help get on Royal Hague, still a chance but we will know in probably about 2 weeks or so. Hope to have all details arranged before the holidays. In any case the dates are set already so we will do our best not to disappoint.

If that works out I will see what I can do about golf on Thursday for those that are interested in extra golf. Can't have you gentlemen coming to The Netherlands without playing the best there is to offer. I'd go as far as to saying if it works out it will be a unique opportunity to play some of the most under-rated courses in the world.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »
It doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet but these dates mean that the BUDA match would finish the day before the start of the Open Championship.  An opportunity to play BUDA then watch a round or two of the greatest championship in golf at the best course in the UK?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »
It doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet but these dates mean that the BUDA match would finish the day before the start of the Open Championship.  An opportunity to play BUDA then watch a round or two of the greatest championship in golf at the best course in the UK?

I suspect you were trying to get a rise out of some of us.  You succeeded.  The greatest championship in golf, maybe, the best course in the UK?  Doubtful.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back