News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Davis

BUDA in Holland (The Netherlands)
« on: November 29, 2012, 05:23:22 AM »
Gentlemen,

As some of you know I've been looking into this option now for a couple months. Getting good sized groups into the #1 private club in The Netherlands has proved immensely more challenging than I had ever suspected even as a member. This has been complicated with the fact that we start (hopefully) some pretty major renovation as of the 15th of August 2013 which makes pushes most of our sponsor events into the before summer period. I have however been able to come up with an option which after discussing with Tony and Mark I'd like to throw out in the group. Basically, I really need to know what the interest would be and who could possibly come before I finalize the rest of the trip. I can however make pretty decent approximates about other things.

The dates I've been able to arrange at Noordwijk to receive anyone that would like to pay NL a well deserved golf visit are:

July 15 (where the aim would be to play foursomes in the morning and 4 ball better ball in the afternoon.
July 16 (we would play another classic course in NL)
July 17 (we would play singles but as four balls)

I'm negotiating on the prices at Noordwijk now, the overseas guest group rates are pretty high normally. I'm going to estimate that the golf at Noordwijk would run about 200 euro - 259 USD - 162 GBP. I will do my best to get this lower but don't have an official confirmation yet.

The middle day would likely run at about 100 euro I"m guessing.

Monday we could all have dinner at Noordwijk.
Tuesday we can have a guest speaker at dinner (hopefully at De Pan or Kennemer) Frank Pont has been kind enough to offer to speak with the group if these dates fit for him.

Additional rounds are possible at other clubs but most likely not feasible as a group. Therefore smaller groups would have more success.

Accommodation can be either in Noordwijk or in Amsterdam (30 minutes from the club). This can be arranged based on the wishes of the group that's coming.

Could you please let us know of your interest should you be able to and interested in a trip to the Flatlands.

Personally I'm hoping there is high interest in such a trip as it would be my pleasure to entertain and show the group how excellent golf is in The Netherlands.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Sean_A

Re: BUDA in Holland (The Netherlands)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 05:34:30 AM »
David

Very fine work!  I am not a likely participant, but its grand that you pulled this off. 

How difficult is accessing one or two of the top Dutch clubs near Noordwijk on 13 and 14 of July? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 06:12:59 AM »
David,

I'm really keen to see this happen and would definitely attend if it happens.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 06:41:36 AM »
David,

I'm very interested.

So, Monday 15th and Wednesday 17th would be at Noordwijk?

What are the chances of 36 holes on Tuesday 16th at the other club?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 06:47:14 AM »
And would it be Kennemer or Pan? :) (Either way, I am in if it happens and I am free, will check).
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 06:53:09 AM »
Well done David. This should be excellent although the likelihood is that I won't make it this time around...

Everyone can then fly to Muirfield on the Wednesday night for The Open.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 08:06:10 AM »
I'm definitely up for this.   

For those who've never been to Holland before flights are to Schiphol, 30 mins from the course.  This is as big an international airport as Heathrow and flights will cost no more and are daily from all the normal destinations.

Pre and post golf could be to other Dutch courses, to another Colt gem at Ostende in Belgium or Simpson’s work  at Le Touquet in France.

David thanks for your perseverance with this.  Part of the joy of travel is to see the local Golf Culture.  I had never thought about the possibility  that societies were not common in Holland and appreciate all you’ve  done to get the clubs to accept us.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 08:15:23 AM »
I am in.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 08:32:10 AM »
Count me in. 

It would be very helpful if the dates could be firmed up soon.  That makes it easier to start planning additional golf and buying further in advance often helps with air travel cost from the US.  Summer travel costs are pretty high.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 08:58:38 AM »
David, is that €200 per day or both days?  Thanks for working on this!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 09:37:31 AM »
Count me in.

I'm excited about visiting Holland. It would be great if we could start an idea pool of ways to make this trip a special adventure for those of us who are visiting this area for the first time. For those in the know... help us newbies make good decisions on other courses, landmarks and travel arrangements.

There seem to be so many possibilities with this Buda for those of us traveling from the States... fly to UK for some golf, then hop over to Holland; fly to France and drive with stops along the way; fly into Holland for the Buda, then drive south or shuttle over to the UK. So many options! I'm sure you guys will have lots of fantastic ideas and suggestions.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

hhuffines

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 09:55:12 AM »
Please add me to the list if you have room for first timers.  Thanks!  Hart Huffines

Craig Disher

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »
I'm a near certain on this. I've spent a lot of time in the Netherlands and welcome a chance to return.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 12:06:05 PM »
Please add me to the list if you have room for first timers.  Thanks!  Hart Huffines

First timers are guaranteed an especially warm welcome.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 01:09:37 PM »
I'd be very interested.

A little tip for the Deal members/fans. KLM are now flying to Manston, 10 miles from Deal and Sandwich. You maybe able to fly to Amsterdam have a "stopover" for BUDA, fly on to southern England then return to the USA with KLM via Amsterdam.

This route also works very well for playing the 3 Open courses just using taxis and avoiding London and car hire.
Cave Nil Vino

Brent Hutto

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 01:12:20 PM »
Or for that matter, set up shop in the Netherlands for a week but make an overnight side trip for a couple rounds at Deal. Maybe stay in the Dormie accomodations or else book a room with some chap who owns a B&B locally, if anyone knows where to find such a person. ;D

James Boon

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 01:23:48 PM »
A Dutch Buda... I'd certainly be up for that! Nice work Mr Davis! Dates are in the diary.

I will need to look into the logistics of travelling over there, as no doubt most UK based attendees will, rather than the usual hop into the car and drive. There may be some merit in a few of us researching the travel options and then trying to make the journey in a number of small groups? For instance, if a handful of us decide to drive and get the ferry, a bit of car sharing wouldn't be a bad idea?

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
Brent good accommodation is hard to find!! We are full for all the December weekends and cannot even host members attending pre-Christmas dinner.

James - KLM have an excellent regional network and flying may suit some then joint car hire. They fly from such places as Manston, Norwich, Humberside, Durham, Exeter and Leeds.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
I should have loved to take part, but, I have some paid work around then which I must do! I'll whisper the dates into my diary just in case the work falls through. I have friends in Hilversum with whom I should be able to stay.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »
Mark a group of Deal members play an annual informal match with Hilversum and always rave over the course. I must get out there sometime.
Cave Nil Vino

David Davis

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the interest. I've received quite a few questions so thought I'd make a post to bring a little more light on how this has gone and answer some of your other questions.

First of all I do understand there are a wide range of people at a wide range of economic levels who are members of GCA and passionate about golf course architecture. I promise I'm doing my best to make this accessible for you. I know how it is, tough times for some of us, in my family the only rich one is my ex-wife for the record. I have had to start from scratch ;-) but I have proven myself to be very generous ha ha....easy to say when nothing remains.

As I mentioned to Tony and Mark. This is where I started. The private clubs in Holland basically don't accept groups above 12 people as a general rule, unless they are corporate sponsors. Like all things in life there are a few exception, unlike the UK, the exceptions mean, they want to charge groups a surcharge, not welcome them at a reduced price and this one is going to kill you but I'm dead serious about it. If I as a member of my club want to bring a group in above 12 people then I'm responsible to pay the greenfee as well, even though I'm a member. I haven't quite got my head around that one yet. The normal greenfee for these two days is equal to more than 25% of my annual dues. Please keep this in mind when you write me with concerns about the prices. I'm not asking you to not write with concerns about them, you are free to do what you want. I just want you to fully understand how things work here. Rules are rules and here they are different. I'm trying to get US the best deal I can and that includes above all else ACCESS to the courses.

Those of you who are PGA members/pros or Raters and rankers just know I'm trying to negotiate for all of us. If in the end you are not happy with what I've been able to arrange I will give you the contact info of the right person to write to. I rank and rate as well so fully understand and am doing my best for all of you. Though I can't possibly do it individually for everyone as you understand.

I would also love to see some of the guys make the trip over from the US. If you want to come with spouses or even entire families I will be happy to give you advice as best I can. I know The Netherlands better than any travel agent you are going to run into in the US.

The dates are set, they won't change. whether you come in before or after is up to you. Trips across the Atlantic are cheaper if there is a weekend thrown in, all the time. Waiting till the last minute will not make the trip (flight/lodging) cheaper. What is very possible is booking really cheap inter-European Flights out of Amsterdam or other Dutch cities as an FYI. These airlines when booked in advance offer extremely cheap European return flights. Great for side trips to the UK or Ireland for example.

www.transavia.nl
www.easyjet.com
www.ryanair.ie

Sometimes KLM and BA are also ok however normally the above are far cheaper. They will not offer the first class luxury that you may be use to, not food on the flights unless you pay for it on the flight. Watch out for extra baggage fees however. Golf bags etc are all separate costs. The same goes with golf bag fees for overseas flights if you are not use to that. Here is one hint if you don't have a regular airline. KLM has a golf club, it's free to sign up. Once you do you can get a "bring your golf bag for free" voucher available for members. That will save you like $120-150.

Feel free to ask questions as they come up. The more I know in the coming week about #'s and interest the more things I can arrange and the more concrete I can make this.

Even in terms of things like accommodations. We don't have many bed and breakfasts here in NL. So if I know the preferences people have and what kind of accommodations would suit you then it's easier to look.

5 star
3 star
piled into one house sleeping on the floor in sleeping bags
Holiday trailer park

Anyway you get the idea. Some of us are really easy going, it's all about the golf and company and others prefer to maintain a certain level of comfort. I don't know enough about all the GCA people to know which group we are entertaining over here yet. I'll look at accommodation when I do.

Look forward to firming up all the details. Again if you are from the US and you've been to Scotland, Ireland etc or haven't been yet then you should come.

I'd recommend everyone spend the weekend before in Amsterdam. It's tough/but not completely impossible to get in some golf on the weekend as well if it's pure golf for you. I can also arrange some fun things during the weekend or at least give good advice for people that come early or stay late.

James Boon

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 01:58:26 PM »
Chappers,

Thanks, I will certainly be looking into the flying option amongst others. I was merely pointing out the obvious, in that most of us who don't cross the Atlantic (or English Channel / North Sea as Ulrich does) aren't used to anything more complicated than jumping into our own cars to get to Buda and a little planning and therefore possibly travelling together can only add to the Buda experience. Of course a stop over on the south east coast is also possible...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill Brightly

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 02:19:26 PM »
I am very interested if the U S squad will have me.

David Davis

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
Bill, as the American HOST, of course! Although I'm not sure that either squad will have me or would want me for that matter. Although I assure all of you that home course advantage is quite a big thing at de Noordwijkse.

David Davis

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
Brian, as soon as I know there is enough interest. I'm kind of hoping for De Pan to be honest. Then you have the best links course and the best heathland. Kennemer would also be great. I don't know if I could swing The Hague. I would need to call a couple help lines to make that one a possibility. Happy to try but that one is the toughest of the group just because I have less personal connections there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back