News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

You won't like Seminole
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:38:59 PM »
if you prefer lush green fairways to firm & fast brownish/yellowish/greenish fairways.

You won't like Seminole if you think hitting marginal shots that land on the green shouldn't be punished.

You won't like Seminole if you don't like playing in strong winds.

You won't like Seminole if you think a course should have deep rough

You won't like Seminole if you prefer narrow fairways.

You won't like Seminole if you don't like greens where you can't get a repair tool into the turf.

You won't like Seminole if you like to play in 4+ hours

You won't like Seminole if you don't like big, expansive greenside bunkers that are fed by the perimeters of the greens.

On the other hand, if you're like me, you'll love the golf course. it has to be one of the greatest member courses in the world.

Some say it's easy.

I'll bet them on shooting their handicap on a typical day (wind) under medal play conditions with just resonably competitive hole locations.

I think the course is 2 to 4 shots harder than your handicap.

Connor Dougherty

Re: You won't like Seminole
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 10:49:42 PM »
I think the average golfer hasn't even heard of Seminole. The average golfer is more likely to prefer the lush green fairways, so maybe it's best to keep them away until they learn ;)
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 10:59:53 PM »
Connor,

You've got a point.

Seminole is an educational experience and an acquired taste for some

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:07:34 PM »
Could we please stop accusing the average golfer of being stupid. They all know of Seminole.  They would all love to be a member of such a course. They simply can not afford to be a member or don't have the access so many of us enjoy. You guys, including me, aren't that much smarter than your brothers who play the munis.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:11:18 PM »
I'm guessing you just played Seminole again.

How'd you score?

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 11:22:49 PM »
Better members course...Seminole or Garden City?

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 11:25:22 PM »
Could we please stop accusing the average golfer of being stupid. They all know of Seminole.  They would all love to be a member of such a course. They simply can not afford to be a member or don't have the access so many of us enjoy. You guys, including me, aren't that much smarter than your brothers who play the munis.

I'm not accusing the average golfer of being stupid. My father, for example, had not heard of the course until I had pointed out that members were on the sheet at TOC. Seminole tries to stay under the radar, so it's not a surprise that the average golfer has not heard of it. Heck, my dad hadn't heard of NGLA until last winter break and the course wasn't in the original Golf Magazine Top 100 list. Neither was Sunningdale, New South Wales, and Royal Portrush.

The average golfer (especially if from the US) is also more likely to play nicer courses that are lush and green. The nicest course he is likely to see on television (Augusta) is the greenest of the bunch, so he's likely to associate that with great courses.

For the record, the only courses I've played that are listed above are TOC and NSW. I have been incredibly lucky to have seen these courses, but I don't come close to having the connections to get onto these more exclusive clubs.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

David_Elvins

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 11:37:04 PM »
Pat,

I like greens with internal contour.

I like holes that are designed to be interesting in all types of wind.

I like tempting options.

Would I like Seminole? 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 02:42:55 AM »

Wow, something we can agree on.  Sounds like a course to love.

The attributes you list are very close to the way I'd describe many links courses in the UK, and that is good.

Re the strong wind, how strong is it?  From nearby weather stations it seems to be calm about 10 to14% of the time and the average wind speed over the last 10 years is around 9 mph.  Maybe 30% of the time the wind is between 10 and 15 mph.  I assume that for your bet that you are talking about the 30% of the time that it is 10 to 15 mph.

Re the course being 2 to 4 shots harder than my handicap, what does that mean?  Are you suggesting that the course rating and slope are too low, or that my course's rating and slope are too high?  Would my handicap index go up by 2 to 4 shots if I was a member there?

Re the bet, I have no basis to say it's easy, but I'd be happy to take you up on the bet if you can arrange access for my trial. Of course, you've stacked the deck in that, if my index is legitimate, then there is likely only a 20% chance of shooting to my handicap in any individual round according to the Pope of Slope.  Perhaps you should offer 5 to 1 odds just to make things more interesting.   ;D

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 03:36:41 AM »
The "average" Brit golfer gives a very blank look when you talk about playing Pine Valley or National. They've all heard of Pebble Beach and Augusta and possibly Pinehurst, The Stadium Course and Bethpage Black but not a lot else. Private American golf has very little interest or relevance in "normal" golfing circles. It's easy to forget we have a tiny minority interest here.

Seminole does sound like fun, I know a member so must take up his invite sometime.
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Latham

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 04:03:44 AM »
I have been fortunate enough to play Seminole.
I will be back in March next year. I will take the bet.
100US. OK?

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 04:06:41 AM »
Re the bet, I have no basis to say it's easy, but I'd be happy to take you up on the bet if you can arrange access for my trial. Of course, you've stacked the deck in that, if my index is legitimate, then there is likely only a 20% chance of shooting to my handicap in any individual round according to the Pope of Slope.  Perhaps you should offer 5 to 1 odds just to make things more interesting.   ;D

Pat usually has a an angle.  I too thought he was offering a Las Vegas style bet, but access has to be worth taking a wee bath.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 07:14:50 AM »
Brian S.

It's not at all hard to get fast and firm in Florida as long as your members don't mind a bit of brown and yellow from time to time (particularly in the winter when the Bermuda dies).  The only evergreen courses in Florida are those haunted by and catering to turistas from Europe..... :)

Brian I. et. al.

Vis a vis Pat's bets.  I'll take the 5-1 odds that even the great Mucci himself can't break 80 at Seminole under his conditions, as long as he plays strictly by the Rules of Golf and we have credible witnesses.  Can I suggest Tom Paul? ;)

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

JESII

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »

Some say it's easy.

Not many! And I bet none who have played it more than once.

On a single round you could get softish / slowish greens with not much wind and legitimately wonder what all the fuss is about. In those conditions it's a very good course in a great setting that rewards good shots and deals gently with poor shots.

Then there's the other 98% of the time...

Those three conditions are the primary drivers of the courses defenses: wind strength, green speed and green firmness. If one of those three are "UP", the course is sporty and fun, two of the three and the course is a real challenge that will yield some success but you'll know it's probably better than you and if all three are "UP" (as it sounds like they were for Pat) "you're gonna need a bigger boat!"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 09:03:49 AM »
My former head pro played several years in their annual member-club pro event.   He said the hardest thing to do when the wind was up and the greens at 12-13 was keeping the ball on the green after a bunker shot.  Apparently lots of ping-pong was possible, with balls feeding into another bunker. 

JESII

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 09:05:31 AM »
Based on fairly limited personal experience...I'd agree with him.

ChipOat

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 09:25:04 AM »
Never played Seminole in a really stiff breeze and 17/18 were still tough.

#6 in Dan Jenkins' book from 1967 as one of America's 18 best.  I made par four (two good shots, though) so, perhaps, it has slipped a little given my (non) skill level.  I was a little surprised that the inward nine Par 5's played rather short although the wind was not so stiff and not directly off the ocean.

Regardless, Seminole, like NGLA, Cypress, Fishers, PV, TOC, Merion, Garden City, Maidstone et all, is a marvelous golf PLACE.  I could play it every day.

Some folks say National is also "easy".  If there's little/no breeze, you know the course well enough to think correctly and you have a superb short game, you'll probably score better there than at Shinnecock, Merion, PV, etc.

On the other hand, I know all about NOT having a great short game and about playing National in a stiff wind.  Counter-intuitively,  the Inward Nine is just as challenging DOWN wind because getting the ball to stop near the hole - especially a front hole location - is next to impossible on 6 of the nine greens.

Neither Seminole or National (or Fishers, The Creek) is "easy" if you don't have game.

Because the greens are generally less challenging, Maidstone might be a few shots easier on a calm day.  However, calm days are not the norm on an ocean-side course, so.................

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 10:05:41 AM »
"You won't like Seminole"......try me!  Anyone ever need a 4th, just give me 24 hour notice.  My clubs are in my trunk.  ;D ;D

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »
My former head pro played several years in their annual member-club pro event.   He said the hardest thing to do when the wind was up and the greens at 12-13 was keeping the ball on the green after a bunker shot.  Apparently lots of ping-pong was possible, with balls feeding into another bunker. 

Count me as one who is 100% sure he's adore Seminole.

That said, I feel like the above concern is one that's aired about courses and holes that are "overbunkered." Does anyone ever level this claim about Seminole?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike Schott

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 11:06:42 AM »

Hi John.

I'm not sure how you define the "average golfer" but I doubt that the average golfer who to me is a typical muni player who plays some resort courses a few times a year and watches the PGA Tour on TV would know of Seminole. The golfers I play with don't know the course. Unless a major was played on a course they don't know many of the great private layouts. And of course, Seminole does not want to be well known by the masses.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 12:06:34 PM »
Played Seminole last week.  Loved my day there.  Stiff breeze, challenging, great conditions.  As Patrick said, it is a wonderful member's course and club.

Interesting and complex routing.  Great walk.  Varying angles to the wind.  Fun.

Bart

Josh Tarble

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 12:52:32 PM »
Is Seminole Ross's best work or #2? 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 12:56:48 PM »
Unless the greens are flat as pancakes 12-13 is too quick on wind exposed greens. The ball would be rolling all over the place if the breeze got above 20mph. There is a reason the R&A aim for 10.5 at the beginning of the Open Championship and our championship greens are relatively flat compared to some I've seen.
Cave Nil Vino

Mac Plumart

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »
Unless the greens are flat as pancakes 12-13 is too quick on wind exposed greens

Bingo!

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »
Mike Schott,

I agree with you. Not many typical, average muni golfers have heard of a place like Seminole (or NGLA, Crystal Downs, etc.) Pebble Beach, for sure, but not those highly rated gems that don't show up on television while hosting a tournament.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back