News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim McCann

I hear that Rosapenna is set to rival St Andrews...
« on: November 17, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 03:46:51 PM by Jim McCann »

Tom_Doak

Re: I hear that Rosapenna is set to rival St Andrews...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:48:30 AM »
And that's why it's nice to be doing design consulting work at Rosapenna.  ;)

Full disclosure:  I had heard about the land acquisition a month ago, and we spoke of it years ago, but I haven't talked with the Caseys since it has been finalized.  I am hopeful that we will at least have the opportunity to work on a routing for the property and present our ideas.  So, I wish Jim had kept quiet about it for a while longer!

Jim McCann

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »
Tom

I actually got the information from a Frank Casey Jnr email so I though it was in order to make the news public on this site - sorry!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 09:31:55 AM »
Jim:

No, that's fine ... I'm sure that the Caseys are excited that the deal has come together.  I just had my own selfish reasons for wanting it to stay quiet a bit longer.  They will be beating off golf architects with a stick in short order, that is why it's nice to make friends well in advance of such developments.

Jim McCann

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »
Tom

To quote Frank Jnr: "It's all over the web as of last night. All closing documents only sorted yesterday and 100% official."

Exciting times indeed for the current custodians of such a wonderful golf complex.

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 09:52:02 AM »
Am I nuts or does 1mm Euro sound like a steal?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
Am I nuts or does 1mm Euro sound like a steal?

Jud:

It's a pretty good price, since the last owner bought it for 12mm Euro.  But that was during a MUCH different economic climate in Ireland.  Realistically, there weren't going to be too many buyers for this property ... it was much more practical for the Caseys than for anyone else, because they already HAVE a clubhouse and hotel, and don't need to build any more buildings until the demand tells them to expand.  They can add to the golf for only the cost of the golf course ... and that's a much different proposition.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »
All I can say is tremendous news.... This option really does make sense....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:33:57 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 10:23:37 AM »
This is great news indeed. I walked the Eddie Hackett designed Magheramagorgan course last year and while some of the land to the east isn't great golfing country, if it can be combined with the land occupied by the Trá Mór course, I'm sure a world class course can be built. The Trá Mór course occupied the better land and also bordered the beach. The Nicklaus group began their work on the 7th, 9th, 10th, and 11th holes of the Trá Mór course, and then the money ran out.

That will be a difficult decision to make; go for two very good 18 hole courses or one great and one good. Maybe two equally brilliant courses can be built by splitting the site wisely. The routing will be crucial. One thing is clear, the two (or should I say 1.75) courses as they are at present, do not do justice to the land they sit on.

Ivan Morris

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 10:42:45 AM »
Fantastic news! I adore Rosapenna - the golf and hotel are second to none. I haven't walked St. Patrick's but have seen it from the road and from the higher spots on the Sandy Hills course. I am a great fan of Nicklaus the man and Nicklaus the golfer but as an architect, he does not inspire me. With a few judicious tweaks, I'm sure that St. Pat's will be a delight. On such terrain - it would be hard to mess up. Imagine? 81-holes on some of the best links land you'll ever see, incredible.    
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:02:39 AM by Ivan Morris »

Dave McCollum

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 11:35:16 AM »
I was there last year in October, admittedly a slow month for Irish golf.  The hotel was decently occupied with a smattering of Belfast golfers and others from the Continent.  I was just there for a couple of days and virtually all the folks were playing the OTM Links.  The few folks I chatted with all said that the SH Links was just too tough for their games.  I went around the SH links with a camera, but did not play.  I was the only soul on the course.  Looked pretty difficult for a resort course.  I loved the place and am a fan of remote links far from the crowded cities.  The cavernous Golf Pavilion was empty, may have been shut down for the season, and felt a little eerie.  It was hard to imagine it teaming with golfers and operating at maximum capacity.  What’s this place like in the high season?

I do wish them all the success with this wonderful property.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »
Can someone explain the 81 holes to an uninformed soul?

There is the Old Tom Morris course, the Sandy Hills course and ....?

Bart

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »

Bart

Old Tom Morris:        18
+  Sandy Hills:               18
+  Coastguard:                9
+   Trá Mór:                  18*
+   Magheramagorgan:  18*

* I'm assuming that these will still be 2 18 hole routings. Tom Doak can probably speak more about this.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »
Jim:  good news, but when will they build the unie and cathedrals? :D
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Ivan Morris

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »
Sandy Hills is not easy but it's very playable by high handicappers and ladies. My wife (33-handicap) and I (5-handicap) have played it several times and always enjoyed it.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 04:57:19 PM »

Bart

Old Tom Morris:        18
+  Sandy Hills:               18
+  Coastguard:                9
+   Trá Mór:                  18*
+   Magheramagorgan:  18*

* I'm assuming that these will still be 2 18 hole routings. Tom Doak can probably speak more about this.

I wouldn't assume that.... If the Caseys decide to develop new holes rather than reinstate then I reckon there could be a few different directions to go in... and developing must surely be the likely scenario...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 05:17:04 PM »
Sandy Hills is not easy but it's very playable by high handicappers and ladies. My wife (33-handicap) and I (5-handicap) have played it several times and always enjoyed it.

Most women can play any course as long as there aren't many forced carries, because they keep the ball low and hit it fairly straight.

The average 17-handicap male golfer is another story entirely.

Ken Kearney

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 02:17:53 AM »
This is really positive news for links golf in Ireland... and the site has fallen into good hands. I hope that the Caseys look towards creating the best golf and not the "most" golf. Look towards the quality. It is an exceptional site, and total parcel of land, and may be one of the last, if not the last, links development in Ireland in our lifetime.
I wish good luck to the Casey Family, who are great people, and Tom, if and when tasked to give us the golf course(s).

KK

KK.

Ivan Morris

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 04:10:18 AM »
I've been playing at Sandy Hills every other year for maybe 10-years (almost since it opened.) I've even been brave enough to tackle it with my hickories! The links has gradually become more sympathetic and it isn't over-littered with bunkers. It's only the really, wild player who cannot play this course. Is that such a bad thing? Some of the holes and some of the views are definitely worth crossing an ocean to play and see. For all that, I may actually prefer playing the Old Tom Morris course which is down 'on the flat.' I am getting too old for all of the climbing - Sandy Hills is a well chosen name. Even with 81-holes to choose from I'm sure Sandy Hills will be part of the golfing diet next time I am at Rosapenna.  
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:07:10 AM by Ivan Morris »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 06:17:09 AM »
I've been playing at Sandy Hills every other year for maybe 10-years (almost since it opened.) I've even been brave enough to tackle it with my hickories! The links has gradually become wider and more sympathetic and it is not over-littered with bunkers either. This was not Pat Ruddy's original intention. He said he wanted to build the 'toughest links in Ireland.' He succeeded at the time but the course is now no where near as penal as it was at the beginning. It's only the really, wild player who cannot play this course now. Is that such a bad thing? Some of the holes and some of the views are definitely worth crossing an ocean to play and see. For all that, I may actually prefer playing the Old Tom Morris course which is down 'on the flat.' I am getting too old for all of the climbing - Sandy Hills is a well chosen name.  

I played it in 2008 and just smiled at the endless tough shots posed. Fine once, but presumably a resort relies on people coming back.  How differently would the course have been designed if the Architect hadn't sought to build "the toughest links in Ireland"?  Just widening the fairways is unlikely to suddenly reveal a masterpiece.  

At the risk of sounding like a broken record the links land developed in Ireland over the past 30 years has offered amazing potential, but where are the new Lahinch’s or Ballybunions?  These are the courses I will return to , despite their high green fees . The land is there but the new courses have not got the best from them and in many cases the bulldozed fairways limit the potential for true greatness to be developed later.  I only hope the Niclaus team didn’t do to much damage at St Patricks before the money ran out.

Fingers crossed that the developers look for someone with talent who will work with the land.

I'm very excited at the thought of a new reason to get back to the amazing Donegal.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:19:16 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ivan Morris

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 09:03:38 AM »
Tony - 2008 is 4-years ago and Sandy Hills has definitely 'mellowed' since then. It's still no pushover but you can get around without too much stress. The views and ambiance are still the same - heavenly!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:09:01 AM by Ivan Morris »

Danny Brassil

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »
This is great news for Rossapenna, I met John Casey last week and he was telling me about the work that Tom did on the strand 9 .I am going to try and make a trip north as I would love to see this land before the lucky Architect gets his hands on it....

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 02:18:40 PM »
Looking towards St Patricks (with some Niclaus work) form the end of Sandy Hills

Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 02:55:15 AM »
They may have enough courses to match St Andrews but rival St Andrews? I think they need an ancient city and university, a shed full of Open Championships, etc, etc. give it 600 years.
Cave Nil Vino

Rich Goodale

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 04:24:45 AM »
Before they think of rivalling St. Andrews I think they should take on an easier opponent, like say Myrtle Beach?
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back