News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Road Trip
« on: July 11, 2003, 07:05:02 PM »
I'm leaving Sunday for two weeks on the road.  I won't call it vacation, since, as a teacher/coach, I haven't worked since late May!  I'll have no computer access during the two weeks, and am already suffering GCA withdrawal.

I do have some cool golf planned the second week, which will be on the NC coast.  On Monday (7/21) I'll be at Wilmington Municipal (Ross), and then on Tuesday (7/22) at True Blue and Caledonia (Strantz) at Pawley's Island.  Great juxataposition of architecture, and something to look forward to.  I'll play a couple of other Myrtle Beach area courses while I'm there, the be at Cateechee (Young) on Thur. (7/24) on my way home.  I also hope to play at Reunion (Riley) on Friday.  Should be a good finish to summer before I have to go back to earning a living in early August!

Live long and prosper.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

david h. carroll

Re:Road Trip
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 09:10:43 PM »
between Wilmington and Myrtle, stop by Calabash and play Marsh Harbour....it's a lovely treat with what I've always thought were the best bermuda greens I've ever touched.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 09:16:58 PM »
dcarroll
We are staying at Sunset, so I know Marsh Harbour well.  I'm not sure where I'll play on Sunday and Wed. (my two unaccounted for days on the coast; I usually look hard for coupons and specials, which are plentiful this time of year.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

david h. carroll

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 09:36:34 PM »
yes, those coupons are plentifu!!....I grew up going with the family to Sunset and Ocean Isle and have continued going (since 1975 or so)....any updates on ladane williamson and her efforts to ugrade Ocean Harbour??

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 09:44:37 PM »
AG and dcarroll - You are not going to believe this but Marsh Harbor is CLOSED! It is owned by the same family that owns Ocean Harbor, but was being operated by the Legends Group under a lease agreement. The lease expired last year and the owners would not renew the lease or sell the courses to the Legends Group, who reportedly offering them 10M for the two courses. Word has it both courses may reopen sometime in 2004. I heard the owners are mowing Marsh Harbor about twice a month to keep it from becoming overgrown. Bizarre!

AG - I'd love to meet you at Cateechee on Thursday 7/24 if you would like some company. Just drop me a message and let me know what time... I'm free all day!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

david h. carroll

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 09:53:37 PM »
Michael--that's typical....the Williamson family let Ocean Harbour go to s**t while owning it...they are trying to hardball the county into some permits for a resort...their other "suCKcesses" have been OIB golf course, the Pearl and Angel's trace.

Doug Wright

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2003, 11:35:16 PM »
AG,

I think you'll really like Wimington Muny. A very fine restoration by Ron Prichard. See the GCA course summary, and enjoy!

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back