News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Some "Lesser Known Quarry Holes"-Post them up!
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2013, 10:28:21 AM »
Jon,

Those photos of Crossland Heath look wild!  How come we don't hear more about this course?  Here's a shot of Bay Harbor's Quarry Nine:

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Terry Lavin

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2013, 10:53:57 AM »
Jud:  I would only play Bay Harbor again if someone held a gun to my head.

Nice photo, though.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2013, 12:46:10 PM »
#5 par three at Kinderlou Forest Golf Club in Valdosta, Ga.

The previous hole, par five (six?)  ;) #4, is even more dramatic,  but I can't find a good picture.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:51:27 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2013, 01:03:17 PM »
Two of my favourites:

Yelverton #13

Yelverton #18 - no idea there is a carry...

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Steve Burrows

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »
Though the terrain and the rock outcroppings are not nearly as dramatic as some of the ones mentioned earlier, but surely some of the holes at Rock Hollow Golf Club (Liddy) in Peru, Indiana could enter this discussion.  Sorry, no pictures.
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Garland Bayley

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2013, 01:08:54 PM »
If you like quarry holes, go visit Chambers Bay. You get a full slate of quarry holes there. Probably all 18. Perhaps only the 12th green and 13th tee were not in the quarry.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Dai

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2013, 01:18:12 PM »
Theres' a World Golf Championship event in China and either the 16th or 17t hole is a quarry hole. Anyone know what the course is called?

Here are some others -

par-3 2nd at Long Ashton, over a sunken public road into an old quarry, about 130 yds
par-4 16th at Bristol and Clifton, dog leg left with old quarry short left of the green, about 360 yds
par-4's 6th, 7th and par-3 8th at Broadway, former quarry escarpment to the right of each
par-3 13th at Copt Heath, 170 yds with old quarry (now part pond) to the right
par-3 11th hole at Stinchcombe Hill, 140 yds
7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 16th and 17th and probably a few others as well at Minchinhampton Old
Just about any hole at Painswick!

Some others might come to me later.

All the best

Jud_T

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2013, 01:51:39 PM »
Terry,

I'm certainly not giving BH the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval, just posting quarry holes for the completists.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom Culley

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »

Par 3 12th at Harleyford Golf Club
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2013, 02:36:32 PM »
Jud,

there is a photo thread somewhere on the site. There are hundreds of hidden gems tucked away here in the UK that never get any air time. Yorkshire is awash with them including some fine Dr. Mac courses.

Jon

Tom Culley

« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2013, 02:44:24 PM »
Theres' a World Golf Championship event in China and either the 16th or 17t hole is a quarry hole. Anyone know what the course is called?

Here are some others -

par-3 2nd at Long Ashton, over a sunken public road into an old quarry, about 130 yds
par-4 16th at Bristol and Clifton, dog leg left with old quarry short left of the green, about 360 yds
par-4's 6th, 7th and par-3 8th at Broadway, former quarry escarpment to the right of each
par-3 13th at Copt Heath, 170 yds with old quarry (now part pond) to the right
par-3 11th hole at Stinchcombe Hill, 140 yds
7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 16th and 17th and probably a few others as well at Minchinhampton Old
Just about any hole at Painswick!

Some others might come to me later.

All the best

Thomas, you are thinking of Sheshan International Golf Resort in Shanghai  :)

"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Thomas Dai

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2013, 04:54:48 PM »
Thomas, you are thinking of Sheshan International Golf Resort in Shanghai  :)

Tom, yes, that's the exact quarry hole I was thinking of. Thank you.

I must say there are some terrific photos posted above of some amazing looking holes. That 8th hole at Manufacturers looks incredible, as do the 1st and 2nd at Crosslands Heath. Thanks to all for posting them.

I did wonder about the area around the 9th/10th at Turnberry (Ailsa) being quarry related holes. I can't imagine that the builders carted in to the site all the stone used to build the cottages, outbuildings, garden wall around the lighthouse etc and even maybe some of the structurally less important parts of the lighthouse itself. Plus the building of the original castle on the same site as well. I am only guessing but I'm sure some of the rock would have been 'quarried' from the surrounding cliffs and/or taken from the beach. I imagine on many courses in a long inhabited place like the UK there are many unseen or unknown old quarrying remains (and probably same the world over).

Plus, what about the island 17th at TPC Sawgrass? I think I read somewhere about Pete Dye removing (quarrying?) all the sand from this area, as it was the best source of sand on the property, and spreading the sand over the rest of the course and then wondering what to do with the deep cavity/pit that remained whereupon his wife came up with the idea of the now famous island green par-3.

Nice thread.

All the best.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:12:02 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2013, 01:49:03 PM »
The par-5 3rd at Hidden Creek.  Great use of the quarry - play left of it to lay up, take it right over to give the green a go.  

The par-4 3rd at Colorado Golf Club

Howard Riefs

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »
Brooksville Country Club
12th hole
Par 4, 343 yards
Starts the quarry holes built by Bobby Weed

Best angle is via the upper, left fairway. Drive it over the fairway bunker located on the right side of the upper fairway. Or a power fade for you right-handed players.

From #12 tee (Green sits straight ahead; left upper and right lower fairways)

(via course’s website)

(via course’s website)

Panorama view taken from #13; #12 tee is to the far left

From #13 (players in foreground are on the right, bottom fairway of #12)

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jud_T

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »
Highlands of Elgin:

Howard Riefs

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
The Highlands of Elgin photo that Jud posted above is of hole #4; it's the first of the first of the four newer holes routed around a quarry.  The others:

View from behind #8. Can see #7 green on left and #11 on right.

View from #11 tee

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Kyle Casella

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2013, 04:20:13 PM »
Having a photo upload issue right now, so I will try to figure it out later, but how about 6 at Boston Golf Club. Theoretically, 5-7 are in the old quarry, but 6 is definitely the most pronounced.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »
Reference to 'Highlands of Elgin' reminds me that there's a nice quarry hole on the back-9 at Elgin GC in Scotland. Checking the website the hole is the 15th although the photo doesn't seem to do the hole justice, at least according to my recollection of it - http://www.elgingolfclub.com/scorecard.php

All the best

John McCarthy

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2013, 07:13:41 PM »
Jud and Howard: 

Thanks for posting the Highlands pics.  I've been pining for a trip back there. 

Weather is perfect.  Anyone fancy a game this week? 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Mark McKeever

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2013, 07:58:33 PM »
Having a photo upload issue right now, so I will try to figure it out later, but how about 6 at Boston Golf Club. Theoretically, 5-7 are in the old quarry, but 6 is definitely the most pronounced.

Kyle, I always knew that was a huge sandy hollow.  I never knew it was a quarry!

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back