News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark McKeever

Some "Lesser Known Quarry Holes"-Post them up!
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:53:32 AM »
I personally love seeing more and more of these quarry holes as I continue to play new golf courses.  Yes, some may not be as well known as the final 3 holes at Merion, but to me I think most quarries offer a unique do or die mentality when used properly.

Post up some of your favorites!

Here's one not many have seen.  Hole 16 at Brookside CC in Macungie, PA.  It's a daunting hole late in the round where the player must carry the quarry off the tee of a mid length uphill par 4.  A good speed slot up the left center allows for a good drive to kick into an area about 140 out from the green.  Uphill and guarded by bunkers.  A great hole!

Mark 
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Joe Bausch

Re: Some "Lesser Known Quarry Holes"-Post them up!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:28:16 PM »
The quarry at LuLu stretches across the road and comes into a play on three holes.  The most prominent being the short par 3 4th hole, about 110 yards.

Here is a summer view of the hole which many have seen already:

And I played LuLu last Saturday and will provide two other views of the quarry 4th hole, ones probably not seen before. 

When playing the par 4 3rd hole and near the green, you can see this tiny green awaiting up and to the left in the pic:

And when finishing the 7th hole you can peek down into the quarry to see the 4th green and how the 5th tees are within the quarry as well:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

David Amarnek

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »
I wish I could download a photo of the 4th at Gulph Mills as an example.
Joe Bausch, do you have it in your collection?
Next time in Philly I must make it over to Lu Lu, having never been there before.  I believe Brian Colbert said that it reminds him very much of GMGC.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 12:51:21 PM »
I wish I could download a photo of the 4th at Gulph Mills as an example.
Joe Bausch, do you have it in your collection?
Next time in Philly I must make it over to Lu Lu, having never been there before.  I believe Brian Colbert said that it reminds him very much of GMGC.

I also wish I had a picture of the 4th at GM.  No photos of Gulph Mills in my collection.  I need an invite!

LuLu is really neat.  They come out of the storm with probably 10 or less trees downed, and no real damage as a result.  Here is a new photo album I just built of LuLu from my visit on Saturday.  Unfortunately it was cloudy most of the day, but I still really like what my new Sony DSC RX100 camera is able to achieve:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/lulu2/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 01:03:35 PM »
Another less known quarry hole in the Philly area is at Green Pond (Alex Findlay).  I have to wonder if AFin wasn't inspired by the 17th at Merion when creating this par 3 (also the 17th at Green Pond).  From the right tee box you tee off from on top of the quarry:

From behind the green you can see the quarry, much smaller in scale than the one in Ardmore.   ;)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 01:18:17 PM »
Many talk about the quarry par 3 8th hole at Manufacturers ("Mannies") here in Philly (very close to LuLu), but there is hole at Mannies utilizing the quarry, the dogleg right par 4 16th, with the feature coming into play on a wayward 2nd.

Tee view where you can detect the quarry:

From the right part of the fw or rough, you really must cross it:

View from over the green, with the quarry to the left:

David Amarnek

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 01:37:32 PM »
Joe,
I'd be happy to host you over there.
I'll be back to Philly in the Spring and definitely for the US Open, where I'll be a volunteer.
David

damarnek@gmail.com

Mark McKeever

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »
Another less known quarry hole in the Philly area is at Green Pond (Alex Findlay).  I have to wonder if AFin wasn't inspired by the 17th at Merion when creating this par 3 (also the 17th at Green Pond).  From the right tee box you tee off from on top of the quarry:

From behind the green you can see the quarry, much smaller in scale than the one in Ardmore.   ;)

Good call on Green Pond Joe.  It's unfortunate that you can't really pick up on the good contours around the green in the pics.  Its definitely one of the best holes out there!

Mark

Mark McKeever

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »
There's also a neat short par 3 quarry hole at Indian Creek in Emmaus, PA.  Its an executive course that shut down in 2009 but is apparently back up and running.  I'll have to get back there and post a few pics.

Since Somerset Hills is a hot topic at the moment, our caddy indicated that the blind 17th tee shot is up and over an old quarry that has been partially filled in.  He indicated that they had talks before about removing some of the accumulated dirt and exposing the old rock faces that are still underneath.

Maybe Tom Doak can comment?

Mark

Jim Sherma

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
Saucon Weyhill numbers 14 and 15.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »
Dont have a photograph but the redan at Rock Spring (Banks) is pretty cool over the quarry.  Its hole #3.  Maybe someone can post a picture

Dan Kelly

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 04:09:59 PM »
There's a good par-3-over-the-quarry at StoneRidge (Bobby Weed) in Stillwater, Minnesota -- and an interesting short par-4, dogleg-right with the quarry on the right, to a small, elevated green.

Of course, they're all quarry holes at The Quarry at Giants Ridge (Jeff Brauer) in Biwabik, Minnesota.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »
Crossland Heath uses a couple of quarries very cleverly on several holes. There was a photo tour a while back about it and I found these photos on a previous thread.

First green

Second green from the tee. Here you are playing a right angles to the first crossing in front of the previous green.

Jon

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 04:47:51 PM »
Folks, you have come to a gunfight with knives :)

This is a quarry:

No, the tee shot is not down into the valley below, but cape-like over the quarry onto a tiny sliver of fairway set right against the very edge of the precipice. Mainzer Golf Club, Germany.

What's not to love about a hole, where the club would rather have you plunge to death than installing ugly fences and nets :)

Ulrich
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:52:34 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Matt Day

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 06:58:40 PM »
A couple of pictures of my home course Joondalup Country Club (courtesy of their website). 27 holes with many holes built through, over and around a limestone quarry.

Par 5 - 4th with the green on top of the cliff

Par 3 - 3rd hole with the 5th green on the left hand side of the quarry

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 07:03:28 PM »
Eventually, I'll find some CCB photos, but meanwhile, I'm enjoying my quote of the year, courtesy of Ulrich Mayring.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Matt Day

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 07:13:59 PM »
another photo using hipstamatic app, from the 3rd tee at Joondalup on the quarry nine. The quarry is around 40 metres deep

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 10:43:58 PM »
Anyone have a picture of 1 at Painswick? 

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 05:40:54 AM »
Several quarry holes at Crosland Heath. See the photo tour which is currently on the first page of the Discussion Group threads.

David Nelson

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 06:07:27 AM »
Painswick #1

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 06:39:48 AM »
There's a couple in Ireland but afraid I don't have pictures...

The par-3 fourteenth at the Pat Ruddy designed Druid's Heath is a good one... But the best ones are the famous quarry holes at the MacKenzie designed Cork Golf Club at Little Island...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 07:05:21 AM »
Tribute to Merion East #16 at French Creek #5 (thanks to Bill Kittleman):

Mark McKeever

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 10:18:35 AM »
Also another notable.  Hole 12 at Philadelphia Cricket Club.   ;D  I was saying to Joe the other day that the hole is similar in nature to the initially posted hole at Brookside.  The only notable difference is in the length and par of the hole.

Mark

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
Dont have a photograph but the redan at Rock Spring (Banks) is pretty cool over the quarry.  Its hole #3.  Maybe someone can post a picture

From the recent "Most Intimidating Par 3s" thread:

Curley/Gil Morgan- Oak Quarry GC, Ca., #14
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:27:34 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom Kelly

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »
Sorry I haven't found a photo but Erewash Valley GC in Derbyshire has/had (I think they may have been adbandoned?) two short par 3's in an old quarry. The first playing down into quarry with a green butted right up against the quarry wall and the second playing along the floor of the quarry before you walked up and out for the next hole. They were both really fun holes the first especially, but I think they may have been abandoned due to safety concerns and the fact they were unplayable in winter.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back