News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gholz

Melbourne: Composite Routing changes?
« on: December 12, 2019, 12:24:20 PM »
When one of my favorite courses comes up on TV I look to my files to find a routing map of the course so I can follow along.  For a Detroit event at Oakland Hills I can grab any routing plan from any tournament back to the beginning.  I can that way follow changes to the course as Ross and then the Jones family had their say.  For Royal Melbourne it's a little harder.  First off I've never been in Australia.

I went to my (many) editions of Ran's bible, the World Atlas of Golf, and compared those against various other published plans.  Neil's book omg Alex Russell is superb.  As they played down 1, 2 and then 3 I thought I was following almond just fine and then realized I was following the East vs West courses and not the composite.  Then I switched over to ten years ago remembering that they talked about swapping ops the par-3s along the road to the East course, etc.  I still got lost. 

Question: is this the first time this particular routing has been used for a "major" event, finishing on what previously was the 10th hole?

Comment:  It's amazing to look at the combination of holes that are all within the main "paddock" and see the various combinations that could be played.  Several wonderful courses could be routed.

Anthony

James Bennett

Re: Melbourne: Composite Routing changes?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 03:13:28 PM »
This routing was used for the last President's Cup as well.
In terms of holes used, the composite tends to use 16 East now, rather than 4 East.  Both are excellent par 3's, very close to each other (4 is played before crossing the road to two other paddocks for the East course, 16 is played after returning from those paddocks).
The routing today finishes on 2 West, whereas it traditionally finished on 18 East.This arrangement puts the 16th, 17th and 18th holes in close proximity to the clubhouse, which makes sense for matchplay where many matches finish on such holes.
Current routing is 3w, 4w, 5w, 6w, 7w, 10w, 11w, 12w, 17w (8w and 9w are car parks, abutting 1 east, 13w to 16w are in the next paddock).Second nine is 18w, 1e, 2e, 3e, 16e, 17e, 18e, 1w and finishes on 2w.  Hole 4e is omitted (very tight with 3e) and 5e to 15 e are on adjacent paddocks.
The original routing was 1w, 2w, 1e, 2e, 5w, 6w, 7w, 10w, 11w, 12w, 17w, 18w, 3w, 4w, 3e, 4e, 17e, 18e.
In 1998, I think the routing was as today, but started on 1w and finished on 18e.
If you have ever played a Mackenzie routing you would understand how so many alternate hole combinations can be possible.  His designs often have a hub and spoke style, generally dictated by trying to use particular landforms as often as possible.
James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 03:28:50 PM »
The PGA Tour made the call to renumber the holes for the previous Presidents Cup match.  The new rationale was based strictly on the idea of having all the matches end close to the clubhouse, by making 18E, 1W, and 2W [which comes back toward the clubhouse] as the last three holes.

From a golf architect's point of view, it's a terrible re-numbering, because 1 West is the plainest hole on the course [it's supposed to be a gentle opening hole], and 2 West is normally a pretty easy reachable par-5 [which they convert to a par-4 this week, which doesn't really matter since it's match play].  18 East and 18 West are both terrific finishing holes, except this week, when they are the 10th and 16th holes.

The other change, if you are looking at the old World Atlas of Golf, is that the original Composite Course used the par-3 4th East, and then skipped over the 16th East, to make a course of 18 holes.  Both of them are great holes; I think they chose the 4th East originally because it is longer and tougher.  But the 3rd East green and 4th East tee are in a very tight corner of the property leaving no room for grandstands, so the Tour made the decision to put a grandstand on the 4th East tee, and have the players walk up the hill to play 16 East instead.

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 04:45:57 PM »
Thanks James ... nice recap. 

And Tom: the Tour again makes the rules.  It will be interesting to see how the final look of Ancaster (Colt's Hamilton) will be determined with Ebert and Rhod Trainor (long super, now in charge of the updating from the club's view) coming up against the once every six years guys.  I do disagree a little with you on the 18th though.  I like the hole they're using because there's some ground movement and what appears to be a stronger tee to green hole that they're using today.  Greens are both incredible of course.

BTW I counted a total of 4 composite routings over the years.  Although I suppose the par-3 change out along the road isn't a big deal.  I also wonder if the easy switching of routings has to do with he original club house location which from Neil's book appears to be in the area of the 5th tee in use today.  Also the fact that two courses start nearby on a daily basis. 

One last thought re routing.  If Merion can close roads during the Open why couldn't Melbourne close one road or the other in order to have the strongest course?

Anthony

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 05:29:19 PM »

One last thought re routing.  If Merion can close roads during the Open why couldn't Melbourne close one road or the other in order to have the strongest course?

The road you cross from 4 to 5 on the East course is a pretty major road, they're not going to close that one.

They could just close the smaller road past the clubhouse on the north side and play the West course, but most people would say that the Composite Course is "stronger" than the West, and that's been the traditional setup for all tournaments since 1959.

Incidentally, one primary reason they went to the Composite course in the first place was controlling gallery access . . . they couldn't close the road then, and they didn't want people sneaking in at the road crossing without paying admission!

David_Elvins

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 07:55:55 PM »

The road you cross from 4 to 5 on the East course is a pretty major road, they're not going to close that one.

Somewhat ironically, for logistical reasons, both Reserve rd and Cheltenham road are closed for the event this week.

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 12:50:57 AM »
If it was your choice and the roads could be closed, would you prefer West or Composite

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 02:50:00 AM »
The West holes in the other paddock are fine holes.  I would be happy to play that 4 hole loop
The sand base is the same, the design is the same so similar greens, bunkers and surrounds plus fairways.But the other paddock has less undulations than the main paddock (this is also true for the East Course).
Composite is superior to West, but West is outstanding in its own right.  And the East would be more highly revered but for its older brother (just older).
James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David_Elvins

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »
If it was your choice and the roads could be closed, would you prefer West or Composite

If you are a student of architecture you should go to the west before the composite imo. 

But the Composite adds a few more stout holes and is about 300 yards longer than the west which makes it a better mix of holes than the west for a tournament. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »
I don't suppose that the Composite Course is played by the membership and guests except for the rare occasion.  Right?

Paul Jones

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 10:58:38 AM »
Lou,

When I played 10 years ago, the member took me to play all the East holes that were on the same side of the road as the West - 6 holes I think. Then we played the entire West course.  The East course at the time was being renovated. but only the holes on the opposite of the road.  He told me that they mix the holes that make up the Composite Course over the years.

Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 11:51:43 AM »
FYI...I found this, i believe its the one they're using this week.

https://www.provisualizer.com/courses/royalmelbournecomposite.php

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 12:03:25 PM »
I don't suppose that the Composite Course is played by the membership and guests except for the rare occasion.  Right?

Actually, they do play it a few times a year now for various medal days or events.

I have never played the Composite, though, even though I've been there 20+ times [and been consulting for the last 6-7 years].

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 12:41:42 PM »
Kalen:  Thanks for the website map. 

David/Tom:  During the major tournaments at Oakland Hills South in the Detroit area Maple Road (4-lane major mile road) is closed.  I'm thinking the Ryder Cup (ouch!).  This allows full access from the north to south course for spectators/support staff/grounds crew even though the players use a permanent bridge across the road to get to the practice area. 

Which begs the question: are they practicing on the course across the street from the clubhouse?  I forget the name?  or are they using the unused Russell holes in the main paddock?

Anthony

Jeff Schley

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 02:16:41 PM »
I played it this January and it was great.  I was told approx. 4 times a year it was offered to the membership. I would like to have a 36 hole day there and play em ball next year.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 05:04:16 PM »
Just for the record.  I have a presentation drawing of the Composite Course done in 1972 by J.P. Izatt Golf Architect.  12 holes from the west and 6 from the east.  The drawing is as it was set up for the 1972 World Cup.  It shows the start as the 17th used today and the finish is 16.  Standard club start and finish for the West course.  It's interesting that the yardage spread between the nines in this routing was 3174 Out and 3772 In, total 6946 with a par of 73.  On the other hand for match play what does it matter?

I wish I could post pics because Izatt's rendering technique is very good with some feel given for the contouring, although it doesn't use topo elevations as a strict civil drawing would.  It shows a very small practice area to the right of the 16th (standard 18th) near the road.  Today's club practice area, off Cheltenham Road, is labeled as a "public car park."

Thanks to all for their comments.  As usual very informative especially for one who has never visited.
Anthony

Matthew Rose

Re: Melbourne: Composite Routing changes? New
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2019, 06:27:56 AM »
There are four routings I know of.

World Atlas of Golf - 1w, 2w, 1e, 2e, 5w, 6w, 7w, 10w, 11w, 12w, 17w, 18w, 3w, 4w, 3e, 4e, 17e, 18e
'98 Pres Cup - 3w, 4w, 5w, 6w, 1e, 2e, 3e, 4e, 17e, 18e, 7w, 10w, 11w, 12w, 17w, 18w, 1w, 2w
'11 Pres Cup - 3w, 4w, 5w, 6w, 7w, 10w, 11w, 12w, 17w, 18w, 1e, 2e, 3e, 16e, 17e, 18e, 1w, 2w
'19 Pres Cup - same routing as '11 with #4 East subbed out for #16 East

I'm not sure if any others have been used for competition.... as far as I know the first routing in the World Atlas was the only one used up until the 98 Pres Cup, but I'm not certain about that. Was #16 East ever used previously?

I thought the current routing worked very well from a spectator standpoint, with several greens in close proximity to the house including 16 and 18, but those who have actually played it the course may feel differently. I do think though that #1 West held its own as a penultimate hole in many of the team matches yesterday that I watched.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 06:36:46 AM by Matthew Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back