News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

W.H. Cosgrove

Coachella Valley Questions
« on: July 08, 2003, 03:59:38 PM »
I just returned from the Desert and have a couple of questions for thos of you in the know.

1) Does anyone know what is happening behind the BIG gate at Hideway/CC of the Desert?

2) Has anyone played Trilogy?  How is the course?  Any comments?

Martin Del Vecchio

Re:Coachella Valley Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 04:44:03 PM »
I have traveled to the Palm Springs/Coachella Valley for the past three winters, and played many of the desert's best courses.  My answers to your questions follow:

1)  I don't know.

2)  I haven't played there, so I don't know.

If you want any more information, please don't hesitate to ask!

Jim Janosik

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 09:24:18 PM »
The Hideway used to be called Country Club of the Desert. It went under. New owners changed the name. The locals I know who have played it don't say much about it. Redundant Dye style with mismanaged construction has led to $$$$ being spent on redesigning it this summer. Great gate though.
They framed a 60,000 sq.ft. clubhouse(old guys) New guys tore and down and started over.

Those of you who have listened to me whine about project management over the past two years would have a hard time defending how this project was run.

Trilogy is pretty and just another retirement golf course. Certainly  not worthy of a Skins Game but SHEA homes has
bought it for the next three years.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 01:02:28 AM »
Jim, I feel your pain........

Please keep whining!

Is Trilogy part of that same Trilogy ownership as theTed Robinson masterpiece near Corona?

Also, didn't they cancel the Skins Game a few years ago? Or maybe that is the part of the Thanksgiving weekend that I'm sleeping-off turkey overdose.

Jim Janosik

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 09:04:39 PM »
Tommy,

Trilogy is a trademark or brand for Shea Homes over 55 communities. Same concept in Corona with a Ted Robinson Design. No the Skins Game still sells real estate out here.

jj

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 02:29:21 AM »
Ted, I have asked this of a few people, but have you heard of anything at all about the Robinson's? They have been strangely quiet, and I know they have moved offices from Laguna Niguel, and are actually now in Laguna; as well as they no longer have any involvment with Robinson Ranch.  BUt as far as building any new courses, I haven't heard of a single thing, have you?

Jim Janosik

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 07:21:12 PM »
Funny you should ask, I am courting a developer here who is close to closing a loan to build 18 holes of Ted golf and houses in Palm Springs, west side of town.

cardyin

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 09:13:31 PM »
Executive Golfer magazine recently published an article about The Hideaway/Country Club of the Desert, with a couple photos.  It tells a little part of the story.
I played Trilogy a couple months ago.  It is perhaps the most bland course I have played in the area--quiet, with little earth movement; way too short for really good players; most greens open in front;  infrequent water and not too many "Sunday' pin settings.  Although owners have promised to add some more back tees, unless they narrow the fairways to 10 yards and grow rough a foot deep, the Skins game participants will shoot zero.  Shea Homes is not an expensive builder, and the homes at Trilogy are rather modest by LaQuinta standards.  Having said that, it might be a nice course for member play, but "Skins Game"- no way.
no way.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 10:57:00 PM »
Cardyin,

Now you have me thinking. I haven't been to Trilogy, only been outside of it, but what is wrong with wide fairways, open green fronts, little earthmovement, (Only if there was some really good existing features to work off of, which where Trilogy is located, used to be some pretty interesting sand dunes that weren't neccessarily great, but acutually not all that bad and could yield some interesing play if in the right hands.) and playable enough for the people that will beplaing it enternity, and just not for two days, the next two years.

Who cares if they shoot -40? The Palmer Course right down the street at PGA West yielded a 59 in competition once, yet, they still use it most every Sunday of the Hope.

There is little doubt that its a courses that is probably lite on features, but since its brand new, maybe not a lot of native has grown in yet, should we cut it some slack until November, when the season really kicks in and the course has had some more grow-in time?

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 11:53:59 AM »
The Skins game is all about birdies and eagles.  They don't want to see par win a skin.

cardyin

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2003, 02:05:37 PM »
Re/Trilogy -  No existing features woven into the routing.  No sand dunes.  No hills. No mountains.  Just flat piece of desert property converted into a golf course with a little water and some flowers.  I said it might be a nice course for members but not of a quality to challenge the best players in the Skins Game.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back