News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ivan Morris

Palmetto CC, Aiken, South Carolina
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »
One of the all time greats of popular music has passed - Andy Williams, R.I.P. I was never at any of his concerts but I did see him playing golf twice (not at all too shabbily, may I add, on parallel fairways on the same golf courses that I was playing myself at the same time! Royal County Down in 1970 and at one of the world's hidden gems - Palmetto - in Aiken, South Carolina in 1981. Hogan used to say that the three best, back-to-back, par-4 holes he ever played were Nos. 3, 4 and 5 at Palmetto and he often practiced there during Masters week. Bob Jones concurred and added that the 7th at Palmetto was one of the best par-3 holes he ever played. That's two recommendations that are at least the equal of any I can give! If I ever get back to that part of the world, I'll make it my business to play at Palmetto again. 1981 is a long time ago but I have never forgotten Palmetto. I'd be curious to see how it stands up to the technology of today. I remember it as a severe but enjoyable test.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:28:25 PM by Ivan Morris »

Michael Whitaker

Re: Palmetto CC, Aiken, South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:38:45 PM »
Ivan,

I'd say it holds up  very well.

We held the 75th Annual South Carolina Amateur Championship at Palmetto in 2006. The field included former PGA Tour players Steve Liebler and Dillard Pruitt. ONE player finished under par! Jeffery Goff won with a score of -3.

Here is a link to the complete scoreboard:  http://scamateur.com/2006/2006-final-results/
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Shimp

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 04:18:25 PM »
Ivan,
Neat post.  Send me an IM if you ever want to play.  I live in Charlotte, NC.

Palmetto is fantastic these days with the redone bunkers and replanted/built greens (but with the same contours) of miniverde.

Further on Michael's post, they play the Palmetto Amateur every year and scores are always high.  Someone may go low one day but then blow up the next.  Its a fun but very testing course.  As testing acourse into and around the greens as any course I've ever played.

Ivan Morris

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 05:11:33 PM »
Thank you, Michael. Believe it or not I played 18-holes with a fellow from Charlotte at Doonbeg yesterday. It's a small, small world. There was something about Palmetto that made it unforgettable.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back