News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Re: Which is the most historic golf course site?
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 06:04:58 PM »
Do NLE courses count? There was  once a course in St Augustine FL that was routed around the old Spanish fort. There  were tee boxes located on the fort's parapets. There were greens located inside and outside the fort.

Not sure when the course disappeared, but I'd guess it is not highlighted in the the US Parks Service brochures.

BTW, even without the old golf course, the fort is worth a visit. Many years ago we took our kids to visit it and, just up the road, Gomeck, the giant alligator. I've heard that he is also NLE.

Bob

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 07:20:17 PM »
I forgot to mention that the site for our Riverfront course in Suffolk, VA, included the remains of an early British settlement that was dated to around 1611 ... making it one of the oldest settlements in America!  I thought that was cool until I saw that all that was left of it was the remains of some wood in the post holes, covered by a tarp.  [It wasn't actually on the golf course, it's across the marsh to the right of the 8th green.]

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »
Caves riddle the cliffs upon which Pinnacle Point in ZA was built. Stone Age people lived in these caves around 150,000 years ago. The caves are believed to show evidence of symbolic behavior occurring far earlier than was commonly thought, going back to at least 75,000 years ago and including beads, heat-hardened tools -- so, in other words, this is where the command of fire was born -- abstract art, and systemic exploitation of shellfish. (Some speculate the nutrients in shellfish enabled these people to develop mental capacity.)

In other words, experts believe this area may be where civilization was born -- one controversial contention is the Ice Age wiped out humans everywhere but a swath of the African coast including Pinnacle Point, and that we all descend from that hardy band.

So: prehistoric -- but "historic".

I am amazed they got permits to build the course under those circumstances, even if the caves are 100 feet underneath the course.

Oh yeah, crazy. The value of the caves may not have been fully appreciated at the time. And now they're putting in liners and special water collection systems in the 9th hole to prevent leaching into one of the caves.

Greg Gilson

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 10:36:57 PM »
I must admit i didn't know the (pre)history of the site when we visitted Pinnacle Point. However, i certainly knew it was the kind of location that would never get permitted for a GC in Australia - and,presumably, other "sensitive" countries like the US, GB & I etc. It's fantastic fun playing so many holes draped over such dramatic cliffs but i can only imagine the ferocity of the protests if you tried to develop something like that down here nowadays. There are 2 or 3 photo opportunities on almost every hole and i've got to work out how to post some of those I have showing (i guess) where some of those caves may be.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »
Do NLE courses count? There was  once a course in St Augustine FL that was routed around the old Spanish fort. There  were tee boxes located on the fort's parapets. There were greens located inside and outside the fort.

Not sure when the course disappeared, but I'd guess it is not highlighted in the the US Parks Service brochures.

BTW, even without the old golf course, the fort is worth a visit. Many years ago we took our kids to visit it and, just up the road, Gomeck, the giant alligator. I've heard that he is also NLE.

Bob

Gomek was actually a crocodile, Bob.  RIP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomek
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David Nelson

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 05:20:31 AM »
I built a course in Denmark, Lubker Golf Resort that was routed around Viking burial grounds...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:22:50 AM by David Nelson »

BCrosby

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 08:43:09 AM »
Rich -

Gomek HAS A WIKIPEDIA PAGE?!?!

What have we come to? Where are we going?

Bob

Rich Goodale

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »
Bob

Bo has one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_%28dog%29 and he would just have been an hors d'ouevre for Gomek.

Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David Harshbarger

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »
Rich -

Gomek HAS A WIKIPEDIA PAGE?!?!

What have we come to? Where are we going?

Bob

And THAT is why the Encyclopedia Brittanica is dead.  It, too, was merely an appetizer.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »
Mound builders country club Newark, oh plays through, over, around, in Indian burial mounds.  Very quirky and a lot of fun to play Bendelow course.

http://ohsweb.ohiohistory.org/places/c08/octagon.shtml

http://www.moundbuilderscc.com/

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back