News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

The lure of short, dicey opening holes
« on: September 18, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Sebonack, NGLA, GCGC, Westchester and a number of courses have scorecards that could lead the golfer to believe that the opening hole is a piece of cake due to it's length.

Some of these holes are drivable.

Yet, they've ruined many a round.

While the opening greens at GCGC and Westchester don't compare, in contour and difficulty, to the opening greens at Sebonack and NGLA, the holes still present an interesting challenge.

What other courses have short opening par 4's that can extract their scoring toll on the unwary or overconfident golfer ?

What courses built in the last 30 years have short, dicey opening par 4's ?

Alex Lagowitz

Re: The lure of short, dicey opening holes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 06:27:45 PM »
Old Mac #1 would fit the mold.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »

Alex,

How could we forget # 1 at Essex County East ?

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »
Cabot Links.

Shooting Star (dicey-ness depends on pin position, though).

Wine Valley.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
Ballyhack- short, dicey and delicious.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 06:43:40 PM »
Ballyhack- short, dicey and delicious.

Isn't that quite the opening combo platter!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Chris Roselle

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 07:05:33 PM »
The first hole at Merion GC would certainly qualify IMO and alot of the difficulty of that hole has nothing to do with the architecture and more to do with where the tee box is located...

Josh Tarble

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 07:17:35 PM »
Victoria GC would definitely qualify. I haven't played it but if recall correctly, there were several eagles and more than a few double bogies at last years' Aussie Masters

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 07:21:06 PM »
The 'Hilton Hole', the opener at Apawamis.  Get above the green there and good luck.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 07:46:04 PM »
First hole at the Country Club of Farmington (CT) is a 285 yard darling. Uphill, slightly right, with peril all around, but it's drivable. Fantastic hole.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »

Alex,

How could we forget # 1 at Essex County East ?

True, however that hole is not in the same league as the others.  If you get behind the trees left it's a tough par but otherwise a fairly simple opening hole.

I'd say Royal Dornoch 1 is a better example.

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 08:06:49 PM »
Minnikahda fits the bill nicely

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 08:08:11 PM »
One of the most criticized holes on GCA fits this mold; the first at Ocean Forest at Sea Island.  A 3 wood or hybrid off the tea, then a dicey wedge to a green protected on the front by a pond (and a fairly severe shallow green).  I like it, though the precision of the approach doesn't really fit my game for so early in the round.

Jamey

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »
First hole at the Country Club of Farmington (CT) is a 285 yard darling. Uphill, slightly right, with peril all around, but it's drivable. Fantastic hole.

Great example where just about any number between 2 and 6 can find it's way onto the scorecard. Quite a bit harder with a front pin.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 09:04:36 PM »
Friar's Head.  Since there are no yardages, Google Earth has told me it's roughly 350 or so from the back tee.

The fw is 55+ yards wide at it's peak, but trying to judge a short iron to a putting surface that's elevated and out of view doesn't make for an easy approach.  The last thing you want is to walk up to the green and find yourself having to putt back downhill.   It's not an easy shot.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 09:20:53 PM »
I agree Pat that few courses built recently have this in evidence.

So many great examples of Golden Age courses, especially here in the Northeast.

Myopia, Woodland, Brae Burn, Oakley, Wellesley (at least in the old clubhouse configuration) are all great examples just here in Boston.

As for the last 30 years, I'm currently at a loss as for courses I've played.  Crooked Stick is short-ish, but that is far from a great hole, and is probably 375 from the tips.  Nor is it from the last 30 years.

I'd say Wolf Run has a very good shortish opener, but it's probably 390.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 09:23:57 PM »
Royal Melbourne East
Royal Melbourne Composite (#3 West)
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Tim Gerges

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »
How about the GCA approved Westhampton Country Club?  1st hole is 340 with with water hazard roughly 50 yards short.  Ideal tee ball is 200 depending on the wind into a small double tiered green.  The best utility wood/wedge opener I can think of!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 10:39:46 PM »

Friar's Head.  Since there are no yardages, Google Earth has told me it's roughly 350 or so from the back tee.

Jonathan,

The 1st at Friars Head is no short hole.

The steeply uphill nature of the approach adds to the linear yardage.
Ain't nobody driving that green.

The fw is 55+ yards wide at it's peak, but trying to judge a short iron to a putting surface that's elevated and out of view doesn't make for an easy approach.  The last thing you want is to walk up to the green and find yourself having to putt back downhill.   It's not an easy shot.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »
How about the GCA approved Westhampton Country Club?  1st hole is 340 with with water hazard roughly 50 yards short.  Ideal tee ball is 200 depending on the wind into a small double tiered green.  The best utility wood/wedge opener I can think of!

Tim,

How could I have forgotten the 1st at Westhampton, a fabulous short hole with X written all over it.

It's certainly got that "dicey" quality about it.

Good call.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 10:44:30 PM »
Brad Tufts,

It certainly seems to be a "Golden Age" feature that became lost in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.

# 1 at Sebonack can probably be driven in the right wind by just reasonably long hitters, but, because the wind is rarely at your back and mostly in your face or crossing, the hole can ruin your day right out of the box.

The combination of fairway slope, bunkering, dogleg, green surrounds and green make for a diabolical little hole.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:20:41 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 10:53:56 PM »
I witnessed Shooter tee off with a 3-wood over our first at Wolf Point and make a 5.
I've made many birdies and bogeys.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 11:00:04 PM »
St Andrews, especially for the non-professional who may not be accustomed to the tight lie or after affects of last nights whiskey and kummel!

Seriously though holes don't get much easier/simpler than that, but a hazard just short of the first on a links course is a devilish start, while it should be simple, it will give most golfers pause.

I bet there are tons of 6s there.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:21:41 AM by Andy Stamm »

Joey Chase

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 11:38:28 PM »
How about the short opener at Fenway.  It may be an easy hole for most, but could also offer a big number if misplayed with the green contouring.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 11:46:44 PM »
Whispering Pines opener is a short par 4 with a big left turn. There is sand all down the left and a very low key green site that can be a bear.

Dallas National has a short opener with plenty of room off the tee but the trouble is on the green, it's a large green with lots of internal movement.

The first at Dismal River plays short with the big hill that propels your ball.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back